Leaf curl

Slim6969

Hey every one I’m very new to growing and I’m having an issue with 2 of my plants. The leaf ends are curling up and a pit yellow Was thinking my ph is out of whack or a cal/ mag issue

Attachments

• 59229C6F-58A7-438D-BF20-58A0E7DD0F80.jpeg
    59229C6F-58A7-438D-BF20-58A0E7DD0F80.jpeg
    464.9 KB · Views: 45
My plants are 14 days old No I have not started feeding them yet. I Did add come cal-mag into the water today and set the ph at 6.4

Thanks for your reply

The soil in the pic looks wet because when I took the pic I had just watered them.

The soil is called gulf green. It has very little perlite in it. And I’ve been having draining issues with one of the other plants

So I bought some perlite and made a mix of 75% soil 25% perlite and replanted my plants in 1 gal pots today.

The upturned leaves have been ongoing for the last few days now Just was not sure if I was on the right path or not.

This is my very first grow I’ve been doing a ton of reading and watching videos But I find from one article/ video there’s some discrepancy’s lol

The soil in the pic looks wet because when I took the pic I had just watered them.

The soil is called gulf green. It has very little perlite in it. And I’ve been having draining issues with one of the other plants

So I bought some perlite and made a mix of 75% soil 25% perlite and replanted my plants in 1 gal pots today.

The upturned leaves have been ongoing for the last few days now Just was not sure if I was on the right path or not.

This is my very first grow I’ve been doing a ton of reading and watching videos But I find from one article/ video there’s some discrepancy’s lol

I forgot yes I’m letting the soil dry before watering again

Thanks for the info. I’m not familiar with Gulf Green soil, but if it is composed mostly of compost, it probably is going to be pretty heavy and water-retentive, unless your perlite fraction is well over 50%.

Are you using tap or well water? Do you know anything about your water?

the water is town water. I’ve let it sit for 48 hours to get the chlorine out of it The water comes out of the tap at just under 200ppm ( depending on the day ) that’s all I know lol

The soil is supposed to be a light airy soil or so it says on the bag I wanted promix but the store was out of it

From USGS:
General guidelines for classification of waters are: 0 to 60 mg/L (milligrams per liter) as calcium carbonate is classified as soft; 61 to 120 mg/L as moderately hard; 121 to 180 mg/L as hard; and more than 180 mg/L as very hard.

By this scale, your water is probably considered hard to very hard, depending on the actual amount of CaCO3. This high alkalinity will cause the pH of your medium to rise to unacceptable levels over time.

If the soil is mostly peat moss, it probably is fluffy. But with your high alkalinity, you might have to flush out accumulated salts once in a while, using RO or distilled water.

From USGS:
General guidelines for classification of waters are: 0 to 60 mg/L (milligrams per liter) as calcium carbonate is classified as soft; 61 to 120 mg/L as moderately hard; 121 to 180 mg/L as hard; and more than 180 mg/L as very hard.

By this scale, your water is probably considered hard to very hard, depending on the actual amount of CaCO3. This high alkalinity will cause the pH of your medium to rise to unacceptable levels over time.

If the soil is mostly peat moss, it probably is fluffy. But with your high alkalinity, you might have to flush out accumulated salts once in a while, using RO or distilled water.

So would testing my drain water tell me if my soil ph is out of sorts ?

So here’s what I did I set my water to a ph of 6.4 Used that water and dumped it on my soil the first little bit that came out I put in one cup then I kept adding water until the ph of the water coming out was the same as going in.

When I tested the ph of the first little bit of water that came out it was at 6.23

Although I most likely just washed out the cal-mag I gave it earlier

Back
Top Bottom