Leaks in hydroponic setup

Ended up just doing 3 DWC. Thanks for the inputs everyone! I appreciate you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Might want to set your air pump up on a shelf. Otherwise, if there was a power failure and the anti-drainback valve failed (relatively unlikely, but possible), you'd probably return to your garden to find that much of that particular reservoir had drained onto your grow room floor.

its a pain to change water in a scrog with dwc chris
Not when you a water level tube which acts as a drain tube and fill..I use it to add or ph the system too and get a turkey baster to mix the system along with the air stones etc....And you can get the parts at your local hydro store grommet, elbow, tube problem solved

Not when you a water level tube which acts as a drain tube and fill..I use it to add or ph the system too and get a turkey baster to mix the system along with the air stones etc....And you can get the parts at your local hydro store grommet, elbow, tube problem solved
id need to see a pic, I have no idea what you are saying except that it sounds like a fuck ton of work

Something like this with a valve at the bottom for draining.

IMG_1640 _1_.jpg

Personally I don't use level tubes with my dwc buckets. I don't like unnecessary holes below my waterline.

I envisioned "water level tube" as a tube sticking out of the reservoir, in which the gardener has placed some kind of float (simple to do - you can melt the ends shut on a drinking straw) that rises and falls along with the level of the nutrient solution in the reservoir. But a person could also run a clear piece of tubing from the bottom, through the side of the reservoir, and then orient that vertically (watch for kinks!). The liquid level will be the same as that in your reservoir. The principle of a "water level."

I don't know if that's what the person meant, though.

Ya you def need to raise your airpump above your water line you can also get 1/4 check valves on ea line too which works however having it above the water line is full proof..
If you are restricted on floor space you could build a stand out of PVC for your air pump which is how I do it you also get full air around the entire pump to keep it cooler which keeps your water level cooler...
I would recommend to insulate your buckets Lowe's or h.d carries mylar bubble wrap essentially...If you have high water temp issues but also 68 has the best dissolved oxygen so shooting for that is a plus...
I'm sorry but I'm not too sure how both bulkhead systems you built leaked and then the uniseals did too... Are you not drilling the holes out true as I only use bulkheads and never had a issue...Now uniseals I personally wouldn't trust esp to hold 20 gal of water if not more that's for sure....
You will need to make a water level tube for your dwc setup too as you can drain or add from it plus shows the water level and you don't have to lift the lid which isn't going to be possible when the plant gets bigger and if your doing dwc right the entire bucket will be roots so getting a big ass pump like that in there and not damaging or stressing ur roots aka plants...
Check out my rdwc setup sometime might give you some ideas and I'm happy to help as well
Here's a pic of my dwc buckets I run for males now
20181004_170508.jpg
20180731_181435.jpg

Its not a unnecessary hole by any means as it does more than function. As a water level if you know how to use it...1/2 tube also fits great onto a pump I'f the buckets are on the ground it's not major but helps and not hard to move the tube down with having a elbow instead of a tee and depends on the container or bucket on if it has a lip on the top I'll tuck the hose into it if not you can use a tube clamp or zip tie however it's not major I've never had the tube fall down or anything anyways....
IMG_20190919_091717.jpg
15739257110105273873730222710858.jpg

It all depends on your setup I suppose. I use a separate reservoir on my scrog buckets so servicing is super easy. Unscrew the bucket lid and go to town.

100_04696.JPG

Now uniseals I personally wouldn't trust esp to hold 20 gal of water if not more that's for sure.

I won't say they're foolproof - the universe has long underestimated the power of fools ;) - but if one is properly installed and no one messes with the line going through it (IOW, don't trip over one), it should never leak.

But I wouldn't try removing / reinstalling the pipe that's going through one. To me, it's an "install and the leave it alone" kind of device.

Nothing is foolproof esp these days when common sense isn't really common anymore so u never know w some....And the fact that shit happens ppl are clumsy at times and not hard to accidentally kick a bucket or PVC esp when ur working in the room and zone out and it's scrogged jungle can't see ur feet so shit happens...Just not worth it to me and u should always take ur shit apart and clean/scrub everything...
Also a drop of baby shampoo in a spray bottle works great for lube but most of all soak your uniseals prior to install it will save you lots of headache and taper the edges of the pvc
@FatBeaverBuds that's more of a rdwc setup than a dwc as Dwc is single buckets and the level tube is very easy to drain and or check/add nutes etc...However it does give you a bigger res which is great for in flower esp w 5gal buckets which is only about 2.5gal only....Also the pics I sent is for my male tent and the 4 site was my 1st hydro grow and now it is rdwc and one legit ass setup if I may say myself....As it took me quite a while to plan and map it out that's for sure but very glad I did ...
. But a grow room is like a painting or a custom car its never really finished lol always something new and improved etc.....
IMG_20190715_100633.jpg
IMG_20190813_000053.jpg

Nice setup :thumb: agreed it's legit AF lol
Wish I had your space to work with. I've only got a 4x8 room for flower and a 3x3 veg tent.

Oops that last pic I posted didn't show my two buckets connected with 1.5" PVC pipe & Uniseals.
Over 5 yrs old with zero leaks and these buckets get moved around often. Taken outside and washed out every rez change.

I guess it was a rwdc when I had the chiller pump hooked up.
I still use the same 2 bucket setup for my mother plant minus the chiller so no water pumping action.
Just a straight up 2 bucket dwc.
It is nice to have the extra nute capacity in case I have to go out of town for a few days.

IMG_20191116_154746578.jpgIMG_20191107_070709354.jpg

thanks appreciate it it's been a lot of work however it was well worth it and good to go for many many years to come...However that's for rdwc but I will be upgrading from my hlg lights to scynce led getting x2 raging kale for veg which is a 4.5x4.5 and bloom 8x4 with x2 raging kush and hopefully I will have those by Xmas if things Go as planned hopefully they will and my custom rosin press will be here around Xmas as well which I cannot wait for both and then I'll pry say screw it and pick up my dry freezer too and step my game up tons w those x3 items ...
. Not sure if u checked out my grow journal out on a lot more pics and in depth of all is done actually ....

Back
Top Bottom