Leaves Eaten - Pests

chaiBong

I hadn't been to check on my outdoor plants for about a week now and when I first got there a lot of the leaves on the plants appeared to have been eaten. The leaves had tons of holes in them aswell as a few brown spots on some of the leaves. There was extensive damage in the top part of the plant.
When walking around I noticed ants on some of the plants as well as little flying bugs aswell as mosquitoes. We checked for webbing or spidermites but there appeared to be none.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as my little babies are dying :(
peace

blah.. sorry i had bugs.

a good spraying of some strong natural Neem oil will kill bugs, and it polishes the plant making it repelling to them for awhile so it can recover.

cant use it during flowering though.. probally should do it at night too dunno how it acts with sun.

Neem oil is a broad spectrum botanical insecticide, miticide and fungicide treatment derived from the seeds of the neem tree (Azadirachta indica).

There are more than 25 other active compounds found in neem, including meliantriol, vepol, and salannin. It has a garlic like odor, and an extremely bitter taste. Its extremely bitter flavor can make many insects stop feeding on the host plant. Neem oil can also suffocate mites, whiteflies, aphids and other types of soft bodied insects on contact. These multiple modes of action make it unlikely that insects and plant pathogens can develop resistance to neem compounds.

Neem has both contact and systemic action in many plants. When it is applied to soil as a drench, some plant species absorb it through their roots and will translocate it through the plant tissue.

As a fungicide neem is mainly used as a preventative and when disease is just starting to show. It coats the leaf surface which in turn prevents the germination of the fungal spores. Neem oil and clarified hydrophobic extracts of neem oil is effective against rots, mildews, rusts, scab, leafspot and blights.

Neem oil has also been used for insects other than those that feed on plants. Spiders, cockroaches, grain weevils, and other pests of homes and stored food are reputed to be repelled, or killed by neem oil compounds. Neem has been used for thousands of years to protect grain in its native countries. It is often formulated into shampoo, creams, lotions, and even toothpaste. It is useful as a natural remedy for head lice, scabies, and as a mosquito and biting fly repellent.

Ecological effects: It is non toxic to humans, birds, earthworms or animals. Being an oil it can affect some beneficial insects if it is actually sprayed on them

Back
Top Bottom