Leaves getting wavy and droopy

Opiedean

420 Member
New guy. Planted into pot on nov 9. Fox farm ocean soil. Started from seed in ready rooter. No nutrients given yet. Water ever other day. Cloth pots. One gal. In drain pan.
Distilled water. Only one like this. New to growing. New to this site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• EB58DBCE-1B38-413D-8D27-602C29014655.jpeg
    EB58DBCE-1B38-413D-8D27-602C29014655.jpeg
    1,011 KB · Views: 99
  • AACEA518-F9F7-4ECD-B19B-C4F053267D14.jpeg
    AACEA518-F9F7-4ECD-B19B-C4F053267D14.jpeg
    764.1 KB · Views: 93
  • A52DE981-97E9-4700-892F-E330511DA4C3.jpeg
    A52DE981-97E9-4700-892F-E330511DA4C3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 079627AF-A5C4-4842-80DB-77158CF3F492.jpeg
    079627AF-A5C4-4842-80DB-77158CF3F492.jpeg
    925.2 KB · Views: 94
Hi I think she has purplitis from what I can see. Take a snapshot with the light off should correct this issue and allow the experts to see better.

New guy. Planted into pot on nov 9. Fox farm ocean soil. Started from seed in ready rooter. No nutrients given yet. Water ever other day. Distilled water. Only one like this. New to growing. New to this site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi @Opiedean and welcome to the forum!
I think the problem you are having is because of the way you are watering. First off, if your tap water is ok for you and your pets, it is ok for your plants. The only reason you need pure water would be to run a closed hydro system... in soil, unless you are running a water only, mineralized soil grow, tap water, complete with chlorine is just fine, and actually it will provide some of the needed nutrients.
Next is the method you are using to water them. You have decided for the plants how often they need water. Every other day you come along and I assume you water just to the point of runoff.
Here is what is happening:
Your plants can not yet use all of the water you are supplying in 2 days. Any water that is still unused when you come along with your watering can, because of gravity, is still sitting in the bottom of that container. You water to runoff, filling up the column of soil all the way to the top again, and we repeat this every other day.
The roots sitting under water constantly in the bottom of that container are starting to get in trouble, hence the now constant droop. Those roots need to see oxygen every now and then to stay healthy, and they can not get it by being under water. It gets even worse a bit later when the roots down there decide that the flood waters are here to stay for a while, and they put a protective coating around themselves trying to wait it out. When this happens, uptake from the powerful feeder roots practically stops and the plant above will be suffering by this point.
Lets not get there.... there is a better way.
It is easy to develop a clear wet/dry cycle with these plants, allowing them to get the oxygen down to the lower roots while maximizing the amount of water they can take. You can read about it in my watering thread referenced below in my signature lines. A weed does not thrive when it is coddled... you have to make it work for a living. If you don't force the roots to chase after the water you give it they will be lazy. Lazy roots means no fruits. It is all about the roots and developing a strong rootball. It is also about not overwatering your plants by watering too often, which is what you are doing. You will get better at this. Growing a weed is not the same as growing a regular houseplant. You have to be a little mean.... you have to tease out the root... you have to let it know it is a fruiting weed, and it has a job to do.

Back
Top Bottom