Leaves going yellow & lime green and I can't seem to get it under control

incogn1to

Hey guys,

I first noticed it about 7 days ago. Did some googling and initially thought it was needing a bump in the nutrients. The plant is an auto on Day 45, and has been flowering since around Nov. 24th so I thought this was expected, and bumped up the nutrients.

I was feeding around 1ml/L cal-mag and 1.25ml/L Canna A/B for around 550ppm @ 5.8pH, and bumped it up to ~650 by increasing A/B, but that has done nothing other than burn some the tips. The yellow/green is still spreading.

I'm hand watering 4L once per day which gives me around 20% runoff. Since this doesn't seem to be lack of nutrients, and actually the opposite, does this mean there's some sort of lockout happening? I always check my pH before watering and always keep it @ 5.8. I test my meter every week against 7 and 4 buffer solutions.

Today I watered 2L before lights off, and again 2L @ lights on with 525ppm / 5.8pH. I tested the runoff on the second watering and saw 6.3pH and 525ppm. This is the first time I've ever tested the pH of the runoff, as I heard it's not really indicative of anything. I usually tested runoff ppm every other day and it's always ± 50ppm

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is coco/pearlite in 3gallon geopots.

Here's some pictures.

IMG_6054.JPG
IMG_6055.JPG
IMG_6056.JPG
IMG_6057.JPG
IMG_6064.JPG
IMG_6065.JPG

I'm hand watering 4L once per day which gives me around 20% runoff. Since this doesn't seem to be lack of nutrients, and actually the opposite, does this mean there's some sort of lockout happening? I always check my pH before watering and always keep it @ 5.8. I test my meter every week against 7 and 4 buffer solutions.

Today I watered 2L before lights off, and again 2L @ lights on with 525ppm / 5.8pH.
You might be over watering. Read The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant

What they are showing you is a need for more magnesium. Include some CalMag in your nutrients (~4-5ml/gal). Damaged leaves will stay that way. In the meantime, you can use a foliar with 1 tsp/Qt of Epsom salt.

I does look like a magnesium deficiency, including the red stems, but I've been feeding 1ml/L (~4ml/gal, ~165ppm) of cal-mag since they sprouted. Is it possible this could be caused by a lockout? The only things that go into the water are cal-mag and Canna A/B :hmmmm:

Can I feed cal-mag+ via foliar? What concentration? If not I can try and find some epsom tomorrow.

Yes, but it appears that they need Mg more than Ca. I wouldn’t go too strong, maybe try 1-2ml/gal. A surfactant (like yucca powder) helps with foliars.

Bumping the cal-mag has not helped, still seeing leaves turn, and it's impacting newer growth coming off the flowers. I'm going to try switching to tap water and see if that helps. I've also got a bottle of calimagic on the way, to replace the cal-mag+ I'm currently using.

Coincidentally my other plat, a Canuk Cheese auto has also started showing signs of something. Is this just plain old nute def?

IMG_6082.JPG
IMG_6075.JPG
IMG_6081.JPG

I would say she looks hungry, but you said in your first post that you bumped the nutrients up from 550 to 650 ppm and then noticed tip burn, so maybe it isn’t general nutrient def. Seems like your pH is in the right range too, so lockout doesn’t appear to be problem..
:hmmmm:

Thanks for checking in @FelipeBlu!

After switching to tap water and calimagic (1/4 of the recommended strength) the gelato, which this original post was about, is doing well. Today is day 77 and she's getting the chop on Saturday. I started flushing this past weekend.

IMG_6257.JPG

IMG_6255.JPG

RE the cheese in my last post, unfortunately got a bit out of control and did a lot of damage, but she's still chugging along. A couple things contributed to it, mostly though I was feeding both plants from the same reservoir, and I needed to change that, so I started mixing up and feeding her from a separate reservoir.

IMG_6253.JPG

IMG_6241.JPG
IMG_6242.JPG
IMG_6243.JPG
IMG_6244.JPG

AWESOME, Those trim leaves would make a nice butter if you do edibles. I took the trim from my grow (4 legal plants) and managed to make 430 grams of butter which equates to 115 very potent cookies. Just sayin.....

Thanks for the reply @Edzzed

My plan with both plants is to keep a few of the biggest most dense buds for curing. The rest will be just dried and put through my press for rosin. I got into vaping concentrates a few years ago, and that's what led me to start this grow.

I have a family member who will take the trim and infuse it into butter and cooking oil to treat their medical condition.

Looking at the last pics I still say it is a cal/mag issue.
In the future you may want to consider adding Epsom along with the calimagic. I use 0.5 grams of Epsom. As I increase the ml of A&B I begin decreasing the amt. of Calimagic.

LESS IS MORE
200 ppm of a + b for veg. is plenty.
350 ppm of a + b for flower is plenty.

CaliMagic/Canna A&B ratio
150 ppm/200 ppm = 350
100 ppm/300 ppm = 400
50 ppm/ 400 ppm= 450

Here is a chart the gives the ratios of Calcium in given ppm of A&B.
This Calcium information is purely based on a Canna schedule, using CaliMagic. Once you hit around 700 ppm, Canna base nutes, you no longer need Cal/mag additives.

This is based on slightly rough math but is very close to correct, in my experience.

A&B
3 ml/gal = .4 EC = 200 ppm with around 44 ppm of calcium
4.5 ml/gal = .6 EC = 300 ppm with around 66 ppm of calcium
6.2 ml/gal = .8 EC = 400 ppm with around 88 ppm of calcium
7.7 ml/gal = 1 EC = 500 ppm with around 112 ppm of calcium
9.2 ml/gal = 1.2 EC = 600 ppm with around 135 ppm of calcium.

I use GH Cal/Magic and I believe the recommended rate is 3.5 ml (1 tsp/5 ml)/gallon. I use Canna Coco's line of nutrients but I back off of their recommended rates, as I feel they are way high. For example, in veg I will add only 200 ppm of A&B and in flower 350 ppm. Now these rates do not give me the Cal ratio needed. You need around 150 ppm of calcium alone.....so even if when I'm at 200 ppm if I only added 100 ppm of Calimagic, only 75 is calcium so I would still be a tad short. In flower, I use RO (55 ppm of Cal/Mag), to this I add 0.75 ml Cal/Magic (68 ppm) and 0.5 grams Epsom (63 ppm) per gallon to bring my #'s to 131 ppm, below the 150 ppm needed, That's without the 55 ppm of the RO, then begin adding the base nutrients. But I have been working with this and it seems ok. I believe it has to do with the 55 ppm of Cal/Mag that is added back to my RO water.

pH of 5.8 and let it drift to 6.0 to 6.1. Drip Clean for the win, helps clean the root system of excess nutes and keeps you nozzles clean.

Hope this makes sense!

Back
Top Bottom