Leaves look bad on my White Widow

yeah see those numbers were different to the ones i was using.
the baseline is 6.3 for soil, that's the place where nothing is locked up and the plant gets just about the right amount of each thing.

however when working out your bottom end its vital to calculate in how long it takes the soil to dry and how much the PH rises during that time.

for a well established plant its not impossible to see a full PH point rise on 48-72 hours at the end of which your solid would be dry enough for watering in an ideal world. that's why i recommend a ph of around 5.5 in this scenario so that the plant experiences everything from 5.5 to 6.5 in this time frame maximising the amount of each nute it can draw up.

However......a run off of PH 4 was certainly not mentioned in any way shape or form.

@Heissenberg please can you test and calibrate your PH reading equipment and make sure you take your time on the readings....

as important watering practice to follow is to not confuse the signals when people say water lots or not too much....when its time to water the plant, you drench it, no need to be shy, i like at least half a litr of run off from my pots (Please note this is with used up soil, when your entirely relying on liquid foods) or you can start to get layers of salt build up that can throw your run off readings through the roof. then its important to let that lady get nice and dry.

do you have some sort of scales to weight the plant pot? people here use something called 'lift the pot' to test when its time to water.
if it was me, i would leave that lady dry right out until it looks like she might wilt. i would then add half a solo cup of water to the soil and then weight the pot....remember that number. water the plant, and then don't water again till it hits that number. after a little while you wont need the scales, your muscle memory will be good enough to make the call =)

Yeah Ol Heissenberg has like 2 or 3 threads all with the same question lol.

Yeah with soil I tend to like to keep it anywhere from 6-7 if its there 90% of the time, hard to go wrong. and of course soil is always moving around a bit, and of course different spots in the pot will give different ph even. I always figure if its in that approx range dont sweat it. 5.5 sounds too low for my tastes though, at least for soil.

For hydro however I drop it to 4.8 sometimes and dont sweat it, as I know its just going to steadily climb back up.

Also yeah the wilt test is a great way to water as Gigs pointed out. Just let it start to wilt once(slightly, dont let the plant go full on drooping) this way you get an idea of how long it takes to dry out after a full watering.

do you use gypsum to lower it or something else?

I use gypsum myself as home depot had a 40 pound bag for 3 bucks lol... wish I could get the stupid garden lime for that price, or the azomite, or the damn guano...

But using just perlite is kinda growing hydro.

I mean its a great medium, I use boatloads of the stuff. But gotta consider using purely perlite hydro imo.

yep =) 100% organic compost.

in fact thats how i got my fungus gnat problem....tried to be all good karma and i bought the more expensive charity based compost (Royal society for the protection of birds RSPB) and that brought all manner of critters with it....later i just got some generic westlands organic and that stuff works a treat.

thing you have to remember is that temporary lockout isnt a bad thing unto itself as long as those nutes are availible on a regular basis.
its no different than telling your kid that it cant have sweets for breakfast, lol.

so even in soil thats the wrong PH for your plant. as long as the plant recieves the needed nutes at the correct PH intermittently it grows fine.

so for me, my soil is the right PH for feeding as long as its wet with my ph corrected water and it dries quickly so i can go again regularly.

I let the ww dry overnight. I prepared some tea from indonesian bat guano, worm casting and sea weed. Applied it last night as a foliar spray. Here are the results.

photo_1219.JPG

photo_2188.JPG

As you can see some of the bottom leaves still look sad. But I guess there's no much I could do there.
photo_3148.JPG

These are my other girls. Super Silver Haze and Himalayan Gold all from seeds. Notice one of the Himalayan has variegated leaves.

photo_4118.jpg

Back
Top Bottom