Leaves on baby plants are turning yellow, help needed.

Red Kush

I do not know if this would be the appreciated thread area for this. but i will post and if directed to elsewhere next time all good. The starter leaves on some of my plants are yellow / dead. and i know that is normal, but now i see that The NEXT leaves that come out after the starters are having a streak of yellow down the middle of each leaf. the other two on top of those are fine though. i am using an hps 400w 20 inches away from the baby plants. also i don't understand but they look very small for three weeks, they have the starter leaves that are falling off, the next two, and four very tiny leaves coming out from the middle, and i see some of these mothers at three weeks that make mine look like nothing. all info is ap. and i have them in 5 gal pots watering twice a week, am i on to something or just paranoid? thanks.

Hey Red, I think that 400 watter is way to much for your baby plants.That baby is cooking them.If you have to use it you need to back it off to 36" or more. If you got a florescent lamp or some CFL lamps sitting around they would do much better. IMO a 5 gal. container is to large for a seedling. Try using small dark plastic cups or something, I think you could control the soil moisture better.

Alright, i have some of those lights, but not enough and they always stretch, i think i will go with moving it back, THE funny part to all of this is is that it was three feet away, and they were not doing this, as soon as i lowered it in a day thinking about it now they started to get yellow, well the ones directly under did. The only thing i would like to do is somehow keep them in the big containers, i have heard that control is much easier obviously with smaller. but i have seen other growers just go right from the starter cups to the 5 gallons, appreciate the help. if anyone else has any input you never can know to little about this topic, i will go high the light right now.

The light is now at 48 inches exact, " four feet. " i will hope that is not too far, but also have in mind that this is a strong light.

I must be blind or stupid because i just saw on the bag that it releases nitrogen threw a two month period. idc if they will be HUGE, i am just going to flower at two months anyway, i think i am at three weeks now with just the starter leaves, and up to eight leaves right now. very small, tall but a very small amount of leaves, i do not think this is normal, any input? i know they don't need nutes at this point but if they can just live i would be happy, any insight on this is appreciated.

NOTE: The yellow has spread to the leaf set that pops out after starter leaves, i believe it is because of how close i had them to the hps. and some others are following suit, while some are dark green, light green, and yellowish green, but none are all yellow.

I heard this is a difference when the leaves on the bottom of the plant turning light green rather than the ones on the top. just the leaves that are above the starter leaves are. i think this may be due to last week having them so close to the light, 12 inches away from the babies, rather than the 48 now? anything i should do or should the new light distance eventually show show improvement?

"The only thing i would like to do is somehow keep them in the big containers, i have heard that control is much easier obviously with smaller."

Hi I have so far learned that it is better to start in small pots and work your way up to a 5 gal, the reason behind my logic is that as much as the roots grow down the plant will grow tall, what I suggest is pot small wait for the roots to hit the bottom and curl a bit when they start to show through the holes its time to move up another pot size my reason is stunting the growth of the roots/curl allows for the plant to grow fatter as it grows taller.

But im just starting my first grow too and this is a method i,m going to try...

Main thing is not to worry to much as the plants are hardy and robust just like the weeds we try to kill off in the garden that have an endless habit of growing back.

Back
Top Bottom