Leaves pointing up at about 45 degree

Kraysis

420 Member
Hiya first time growing for me and noticing around the last 4 hrs of light my plants leaves start rising up to about a 45 degree angle + or -, plants are about 2 weeks old from seed, female plants, as far as i can tell they look good and healthy, i have them under 2 T5HO 3' lights, they will be grown outdoors so i have them in the greenhouse when temperature allows me to so usually only on sunny days and if not i have them under the lights, light comes on 6am if sunny out usually by 10am outside till roughly 6-7pm then inside under light till 12am, just wondering if this is a normal thing like i said they look healthy and by the next day they are back to normal, any replies would be awsome thanks a bunch.

this ability to develop enough water pressure in the trunk and in the stems of the leaves to lift them up like this is the result of maximum transpiration. This means that the leaves are getting enough energy from the light to evaporate enough water from the leaves so as to create maximum suction up through the roots, giving you maximum uptake of water and nutrients from the soil. This is an indication that all is as it should be, and the leaves are pointing toward the thing that is most important to the plant at the moment, the light.

this ability to develop enough water pressure in the trunk and in the stems of the leaves to lift them up like this is the result of maximum transpiration. This means that the leaves are getting enough energy from the light to evaporate enough water from the leaves so as to create maximum suction up through the roots, giving you maximum uptake of water and nutrients from the soil. This is an indication that all is as it should be, and the leaves are pointing toward the thing that is most important to the plant at the moment, the light.

Awsome tyvm for the info

my plants did this and they got light burn.

try googling it to get some different view points because i was under the assumption that “praying” is the first sign of light stress. the leaves are pointed upwards to reduce surface area to catching light because there is too much.

if the plants are young and only under t5s right now they will probably grow out of it, but i would be wary that they are getting too much light as young seedlings right now.

do you have a par meter?

No i don't have a light meter, google's what made me think to come here, read/watch one thing think you have it figured out read/watch another about the same thing and they say something different lol I've read they can to that when getting too much light but they look good to me and wasn't sure if light burn was a thing with T5's, if the plant is getting too much light how long roughly would it take for it to show physical signs? Thanks for the help

my plants did this and they got light burn.

try googling it to get some different view points because i was under the assumption that “praying” is the first sign of light stress. the leaves are pointed upwards to reduce surface area to catching light because there is too much.

if the plants are young and only under t5s right now they will probably grow out of it, but i would be wary that they are getting too much light as young seedlings right now.

do you have a par meter?
If you were already too close to the light and all it took was the leaves to raise up a bit to burn them... that is on you. It is not light stress causing them to lift up. You were too close in the first place.
This is exactly the problem.. some people out there actually profess that this praying indicates light stress.... it does not. The leaves are pointing at the light to get the maximum light possible... not to shade themselves in any way. I don't see how it can be seen that this action is in any way reducing surface area.
As a matter of fact, along with this pointing, you will note that the leaves have puffed up and and all spines and ridges are elevated... the leaves are actually trying to increase their surface area to the maximum... but it has nothing to do with the light being too strong... it is this light that is providing the energy for all of this to happen, and the surface area is being increased so as to increase the leaf's ability to evaporate moisture. It is this throwing off of moisture in the bright light and good breeze that allow the plants to draw up massive amounts of water and be able to develop enough water pressure in the trunk to hold the entire plant upright.

if i could draw a diagram i could show you how a plane that is at 45 degrees is reducing surface area.
frankly it isnt my grow so he can do whatever he wants. i have sone light burn on my plants i believe, and at page 17 in my grow journal i have a post that said “ it is so cool to see all tge leaves praying” or something to that extent.
and then i proceed to have leaf issues for the remainder of the grow.
was it light stress? i dont know, we dont even have a picture to go on anyways so only people that really know what is going on is the grower and the plant.

anyways, if you did have a light meter you could find out on your own. if it was/is/whatever light stress at a young plant it will grow out of it when it gets a little bit bigger.
yes i dont imagine t5s light stressing a plant that is out of the seedling stage. everyone has their own opinion, i am just trying to relate an example from my own experiences.

i start plants with a t5 and a cob, they are healthy AF and doing great, i have ever seen a single plant pray until i pit it in the tent under a led at 20” at 100% power.
they would start praying like clockwork around the 10th hour of a 12 hour cycle.
what i assumed was that at the 10th hour of being blasted with light, they had had enough and started to pray to reduce surface area or something of the sort. kind of like saying we have had enough. i finally raised my light to 24” and turned it down after a few weeks of the “praying” and they havent prayed since.that was my experience if it helps at all

If you were already too close to the light and all it took was the leaves to raise up a bit to burn them... that is on you. It is not light stress causing them to lift up. You were too close in the first place.
This is exactly the problem.. some people out there actually profess that this praying indicates light stress.... it does not. The leaves are pointing at the light to get the maximum light possible... not to shade themselves in any way. I don't see how it can be seen that this action is in any way reducing surface area.
As a matter of fact, along with this pointing, you will note that the leaves have puffed up and and all spines and ridges are elevated... the leaves are actually trying to increase their surface area to the maximum... but it has nothing to do with the light being too strong... it is this light that is providing the energy for all of this to happen, and the surface area is being increased so as to increase the leaf's ability to evaporate moisture. It is this throwing off of moisture in the bright light and good breeze that allow the plants to draw up massive amounts of water and be able to develop enough water pressure in the trunk to hold the entire plant upright.

Very well put there, nothing to do with stress. All about being happy. Peace OG

i have seen people say their plants are praying in the morning though, mine were doing it towards the end of the light cycle not the beginning. could be different things we are talking about also, gotta take into consideration the plant as a whole really. i had a bunch of crispy discolored leaves on the top canopy of my plant that went along with the praying, and seeing some older pictures those are the same that are now crispy and break if folded so i dunno, maybe just a coincedence or a confluence of other problems with the plant. im a noob so i have seen many of these problems first hand within the last year

i can post pictures of the progression of the leaves in question if youre really that interested in it

I invite you to check out every picture of my latest journal... in every picture you will see my happy plants reaching up to the light. Plants also go through a natural daily cycle where they will droop a little bit at night and raise up to the light at daybreak. This is all totally natural and normal.

Here are a few pics of them during the day and then around the last 3-4hrs of light when they are pointing up

Here are a few pics of them during the day and then around the last 3-4hrs of light when they are pointing up

ok thats not anything like what my plants were doing lol.
i think that looks perfectly normal and healthy, i personally wouldnt consider it praying lol.
plants look good keep it up

:thumb:

I was going to say they look very happy. I recently planted a Fruity Pebbles clone outside and their leaves are doing what yours are doing. The plant is growing like an half inch a day at least

1st Day Outside
EDEAB882-5C93-4998-88EC-EE63150B1E9E.jpeg

Today 9 Days in
E878DFD7-71AF-41AC-B213-EB910A1DA876.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom