Leaves turning yellow at bottom and dying

jgrow1103

Strain is a green crack photoperiod
I'm on the east coast at the 38th North parallel line
Using fox farm farm big bloom with mirical-grow nature care potting mix with round rocks at the bottom for drainage

The problem started about last week I noticed a couple leaves at the very bottom starting to yellow and fall off as defolate but this plant hasn't even started flowering at all yet! The new leaves at the top are fine as you can see in the pictures
20150628_132046.jpg
20150628_132031.jpg
20150628_132025.jpg
20150628_132017.jpg

Does anyone know what the problem is?
Here are the nutrients that I'm using
20150523_123908.jpg

Thanks for your time guys

I think they might just be falling off naturally from lack of light. Plants regularly prune their own leaves. Mostly those that are not working 100% or if they are hungry.

Looking great though. Keep it up and in a couple of months youll be set!

On a big plant like that, I'm thinking thats the case. If you wanted to add an extra shot of N she probably wouldn't mind. Also now is a good time to bend her and train her up, shell produce better later if she is more horizontal. You can encourage her to do that too by cutting the top most growth off.

Hope j189's right , I had a few clones that underwent this issue, flip up the affected leaves search for anything crawling, or flying away . My case was a big nat problem with high humidity, the more I misted the plant the more hatched, and the worse it got. If it happens to be this case, dual sided yellow sticky pads work all around the room to catch them, 1/2 table spoon of peroxide in the soil along with letting it dry out for a couple day's (not too long) will kill off the larva, and prevent anymore from hatching. Also I have a few cut water bottles placed around my pots , 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and 1 drop of blue dawn dishsoap, lure's them into the container, and the dishsoap creates surface tension to trap them . Hope its not nat's my friend, your girl could be just developing. Wish you luck! She looks gorgeous!

That must of been some infestation. I had a problem with gnats in a grow a while ago. They came from cruddy store bought soil. Those sticky traps work really well for dealing with adults. My low cost way to deal with soil born is a good helping of sand on top of the pots.

How is it going anyways? Probably huge by now!

Its still going about the same the bigger and leaves that I've been on there for longer periods of time are still yellowing and dying. I just snap some new pictures so if anybody else as any ideas what is going on please let me know. The other plants beside it aren't as old as the screen crack and I only see about 1 or 2 total out of three of the other one.
Here are some new photos of the green crack;
20150722_123036.jpg
20150722_123022.jpg
20150722_122911.jpg

The last picture of the whole plant is kind of blurry but you can still see the whole plant in reference of how big she is! !

Does anyone have any idea when this thing is going to start flowering?? I am on the 38th parallel line.

jgrow1103,

I don't think you have anything to worry about, a plant that large often will lose some bottom leaves. All the rest of the leaves look good and healthy to me. Nice looking plant for sure. Outdoor flowering time is strain specific, but in general flowering normally starts naturally some time during August around your location, usually the latter end of the the month. Do you intend to top or pinch the main cola for 2 growth nodes at the top of the plant? If so I'd do it sooner than later, but it's not a requirement, just a personal preference.

Best Of Buds to you

JB

No I wasn't going to pinch the top Cola because I really don't have any experience with doing it and I don't want to mess this gorgeous girl up. I already attempted to clone the bottom but the clones died because somebody left the vent open on my dome. Not trying to loose anymore yield!

That plant should develop a very nice singular top cola considering its size. Hopefully the outdoor elements will continue to delivery good Karma for you. My outdoor grows have met with varied success, from very good to total loss, but never awesome. Too many things for me to control, and just like real estate, location, location location. It's a lot to deal with; buggy pests, grazing animals, disease, occasional inclement weather etc., but there is nothing like our sun to really give the plant it's "juice". Bummer about your clones, they are awesome little cuttings and can keep grows cheap and consistent, especially if you really like the final results. It makes the whole process much more repeatable when you have reached horticultural nirvana!

Best of Buds

JB

Best Of Buds

JB

Well, my outdoors growing days are long past, several decades ago, so I am just guessing from old memories. IF I remember correctly things went south when overnight temps reached the lower 40s. I would think that Indicas would handle lower temps better than Sativas, and all I ever grew outdoors was the latter. I know neither strain can handle anything near freezing. Probably better answers in the Outdoor forum.

JB

It's natural for those leaves to do that... the lower sets have something on them that actually limits bud production, I forget what it's called. Just get rid of them so the rest of the plant is free-er... :)

Back
Top Bottom