Leaves yellowing and roots brown

solforever

Hello all!! this is my first post so be gently. I just built out my grow room and now am in day 19 of flowering. I just built a custom 6 inch pvc grow system that harbors 30 plants. At each plant site i have an airstone that is placed below the plants for oxygenation. Before i was using DWC grow buckets but decided i wanted something that was a little more automated. i have a 35 gallon resevoir that i feed my system. The room has 4 x 1k lights that are vented to the outside. I have 2 4inch fans that bring fresh air into the room. Also have a big carbon scrubber that vents the air from my room to the backyard.

I puts the plants into flower when they were about 6 inches big. The strains i am growing are white russian, mango, c99, and buddhas sister, all have a finish time about 8 weeks (I have grown all these out before). At day 19 i have noticed that some of the leaves especially the bigger leaves are starting to turn a lime color and yellowing. I know that towards the end of the flowering cycle the leaves will start to use up the nitrogen from the lower leaves and this is a normal process. This seems to be different because now it is working its way up the plants. I also noticed that the root zone isn't as big as it should be and the roots are brown in color. I can't tell if its just because of the nutrient dying the roots or if its some sort of root rot. The plants have grown tremendously before but now seems to be stunted. I want to find a remedy for the problem before it get too serious, i know that the plants shouldn't be looking like this. If you guys have any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated. Other info that you might find helpful in your diagnosis.

PH = about 6
Room Temp stays at 75-85 between night and day
Water resevoir temp is about 75
PPM of solution right now is 750 and i use GH nutrient 3 part

Once i figure out how to post images i will put up so you can see what i am talking about. It doesn't look that bad now but i know when things go south they go pretty fast. If you guys have any ideas or recommendations please share, thanks!!!!

ok water temp is kinda high they say 65 to 72 will supply the most amount of dissolved oxygen so lower water temp also the root should be bright white. So the higher temps may have given you some root slime/rot problem. I would suggest hydrozyme and subcultures B and M . Yes they are slightly pricey but well worth it for what they do. What they do is feed on dead roots and clean the good ones of salts and nute build up. But before the beneficials, I would suggest a wk treatment with hydrogen peroxide. What this will do is clear up the roots and supply them a great amount of o2. So you next resv change Add 1 tbsp of H202 (hydrogen peroxide) to one gal of water or nute solution in resv. 3 days later add same amount of h202 then on the 6th day add just 1 tsp of h202 per gal on 7th day flush and add hydrozyme and subs B and M. Make sure to get all the h202 out of the lines and nooks and crannies bc it can kill off the beneficial bacteria( the hydrozyme and subs) Also the leaves yellowing and turning lime green can also be BC the nitrogen level in ur solution is too low ??

Thanks for the info basmentdwell!!....I will do a little water treatment starting today to see if it helps. I started to flower these kids 19 days ago at about 6-8 inches tall. The pictures below i just took with my phone so excuse the quality. If anyone has any other ideas on why the leaves might be turning yellow please chime in.

IMAG00383.jpg

IMAG00351.jpg

IMAG00373.jpg

IMAG00401.jpg

Just went into the grow room and realized what the problem is. I looked inside the netpot and realized there were white/brown spots on my root zone. The i looked closer and the spots are moving around. Did a lookup on the internet and it looks like a have a bad case of Root Aphids. Thats why my roots are turning brown and the leaves are starting to yellow. It looks like i am i the early stages of aphids completely taking control of my garden. Has anyone dealt with these root aphids and how did they get rid of them? I need something that i can add to my rez to kill these pest and not harm my plant or final product. Researching the internet the only solution i read was using pyrethrum or azatrol in the rez to kill the root aphids. Man this sucks i will be trying some of these remedies tomorrow when the hydro stores open.

A little update for anyone interested. After applying some bayer tree and shrub which contains imidacloroprid the root aphids started to die off. In my res i could see thousands of dead aphids. I think the aphids did there damage though since all the plants were stunted. Then a couple days ago some plants that were really starting to yellow showed signs of not getting water because they were wilting. Looks like the aphids ate up the roots enough were the plants couldn't absorb any water. Half my crop is gone now and only a few plants are left. I was wondering how these aphids got introduced into my system and read online that many times they come from infected clones. I just bought 6 clones from a dispensary to put into my room and noticed that the clones never really grew bigger than when i bought them even after 4 weeks into flower, i thought these were the culprits. I called the dispensary and they said sorry for what happened, they've been getting alot of complaints about these pest from other buyers and have now dropped there clone vendor WTF?!?

Things i've noticed to be on the lookout for:
1) If your plants have stunted growth even though you feed them the right amount of nutrients you might have root aphids
2) If you see winged gnats that just stay around the base of the plant, these are the adult aphids that form when they are searching for other forms of food....that means the root aphids have done alot of damage to the roots and now are seeking other forms of food.
3) If your root zone is browning or rotting away the root aphids might be to blame.

Things that i am going to do to try to eradicate the problem before my next cycle:
1) Completely clean out my res and hydroponic system.
2) Do a mild bleach cleaning of the walls and floors of both my flowering and cloning rooms.
3) Drop pyrethum bombs in both my rooms
4) Give a dose of the imidacloroprid to my clones and veg plants
5) Anytime i buy clones i will quarantine and dose with imidacloroprid to make sure no root aphids get introduced again.
6) Will give a dose of imidacloroprid 2 weeks into flower and then switch out res with new nutrient and water 3 days later.

Hopefully no one has to deal with the problem because i think they are the worst pest to deal with, they will completely kill your crop. I grow in hydro so using the imidacloroprid as a preventive measure is easy. If you grow in soil i wouldn't use the imidacloroprid after 2 weeks into flower. The imidacloroprid is systemic but the plant will break it down in about 10 days. If you grow in soil the imidacloroprid will be in the soil for the plant to absorb through the whole flowering cycle. I can do a res flush to get rid of it unlike people who use soil. I hope this helps someone out there who might have to deal with these pest in the future. Happy growing everyone!!!

Back
Top Bottom