LED grams per watt

I hope someday everyone realizes that 99% of the LED panels people buy are made in... that's right. PRC!
Then some classy local business jacks you up at %400 cost so you can take home some "new tech".

People buy 1200 "watt" LEDs but it's just a panel that consumes 600 real at the socket and they paid something outright crazy like... 1200$ for one panel.
I run LED 5000K, it's a full spectrum light. But I haven't thrown away my CMH, that is coming out this week as I go to 1212.
Nothing wrong with 150W of CMH to go with some "full spectrum" LED.
:bongrip:
This debate will continue for another year at least I believe...

Vlad

you are right. this year will show the true strength of leds... and everyone will catch up next year.... because with leds even a rookie can harvest 1.0gpw if he plan is room and grow is plants well... micro grows will be the new thing... im moving to multiple perpetual harvest micro grows...8 grow tents 3x3x6...1 week apart....

One of the downsides of LEDS is Cannabis plants actually love radiant heat that HPS produces, LEDs do not provide it.

If you can cool a HPS environment you are better off because of the radiant heat, much like the sun on a warm day.

Leaves can only use so much light, and despite spectrum HPS can still max this level out.

Power savings , who cares about saving a little power, its negated by the costs of LEDs, also LEDs are more complicated thus more prone to failure (ive already had a fan die) HPS is just a cheap bulb very simple.

I dislike the color of Leds and HPS so put a 125 watt white cfl in my rooms to normalise color and increase stealth ability.

I dont like how CMH can damage eyes and light bleach surroundings. Plus they have never grown as well for me as HPS. But I much prefer the color of light from CMH and halides.

cheers

Kiwiiwik

Dropout:
If you can't produce any pictures, whatever you say you did, never happened... Bottom line, it's all talk and no show... It's not a whole damned journal i'm saying you should do, just a few pics of the grow space and your lights, and a little information on the grow... I'll try to imagine it's filled with what you say you can produce......
I can imagine 2 ozs per sq. ft. of screen.. Wait a minute, i don't have to imagine that, that's whats i got on my last grow... Admittedly it was only 3 sq. feet of screen..... One clone, 4 weeks veg, 70 days flower... It wasn't totally led for the entire grow... I switched to a 315 lec the last month... I don't think changing lights helped that much... The point is, if i hadn't posted the pics in the journal to back that up, hell everyone here would consider me some kind of, well some kind of dropout, or worse...
Every thing you claim may be possible.. Maybe.. But it would take someone more skilled than you or i... And probably the blessing of some unknown, benevolent God...

i dont ask nobody to believe me... i tell you how to grow with leds and what to expect.... like u said the rest is in the skills and strain.... my goal every grow is not to get 2gpw just to get the most i can out of my space using less watts possible... so no i wont make journal to get 2gpw... strains i use now can never achieve that goal even if i begged them... i dont feel like i have anything to prove... my goal is not to convince u of anything is just to talk about led gram per watt and how to achieve it.... your results have nothing to do with my results... but i will make journal and post pictures of my growing style and result.... it will convince you that led works great now...

Great input Kiwi...
are you saying that I should get an HPS bulb for flower instead of using the CMH? I have a philips digital ballast that will run it. They also make RED metal halide bulbs. I only care about great buds during this next critical week when I flip...
Which bulb should I pick?

V :bongrip:

Great input Kiwi...
are you saying that I should get an HPS bulb for flower instead of using the CMH? I have a philips digial ballast that will run it. They also make RED metal halide bulbs. I only care about great buds during this next critical week when I flip...
Which bulb should I pick?

V :bongrip:

thats what I would suggest, 600 watt hps if you can. proven and reliable results. I like the Philips Bulbs.

I also prefer 2 x 600 watt instead of one 1000 watt better coverage. I keep them low.

but I grow very small sea of green plants and often zero veg up to 2 weeks veg max. Turn over 8 weeks in flood and drain tray (ebb and flow) with large hydroton, no pots just one big tray.

P.s you can run with the halides 2 weeks into the flip to reduce stretch if thats what you are using.

cheers

Kiwiiwik

Cool but understand 1200watt led is not what it draws from the wall... you should of grabbed 3 400w leds or 2 600watt leds... one led light dont have good coverage.... when i talk about par i talk about ppfd photons received to the plants in miliseconds in 4x4 footprint... this is what matters with leds not lumens... im not gonna sit here and defend anything just bring you information so you can think what you want about me.. but my only goal is to help people understand growing with leds is easier... the chance of harvesting 1gpw is better with leds then with hps... and 2.0 gpw as been done... any beginner with proper setup can do 1gpw now with leds... and pro grower can do 2.0gpw or very close.... im not here to argue im here to share my awesome experience with leds and certain strains... back then i didnt know much about strains and still know vaguely... i only grow c99 strawberry cough and grand daddy purple... i know grand daddy is indica... but it dont feel like crack... make me very relaxed take away the stress and goes away clean no downer like hard drugs.... all these kush give me downer like hard drugs... or wake up feeling lazy.... gdp dont do that... c99 and sc is my favorites... i dont go for highest yield i go for what is good for me main reason why i grow... too much indica in street stuff....

Hey Dropout. I'm not going to dogpile, but I have to comment on one thing. You need to learn how to write sentences and break those sentences into paragraphs.

I haven't read 90% of what you have written, I see a giant wall of text and I can't get through the first line or two. I think you're using ellipses for paragraph breaks, sometimes... other times... not so much.

I'm not opposed to reading anything you have to say, but you need to make it readable.

Hey Dropout. I'm not going to dogpile, but I have to comment on one thing. You need to learn how to write sentences and break those sentences into paragraphs.

I haven't read 90% of what you have written, I see a giant wall of text and I can't get through the first line or two. I think you're using ellipses for paragraph breaks, sometimes... other times... not so much.

I'm not opposed to reading anything you have to say, but you need to make it readable.

I have also given up on reading a few of his long posts, I would be interested to read but far too difficult.

One of the downsides of LEDS is Cannabis plants actually love radiant heat that HPS produces, LEDs do not provide it.

If you can cool a HPS environment you are better off because of the radiant heat, much like the sun on a warm day.

Leaves can only use so much light, and despite spectrum HPS can still max this level out.

Power savings , who cares about saving a little power, its negated by the costs of LEDs, also LEDs are more complicated thus more prone to failure (ive already had a fan die) HPS is just a cheap bulb very simple.

I dislike the color of Leds and HPS so put a 125 watt white cfl in my rooms to normalise color and increase stealth ability.

I dont like how CMH can damage eyes and light bleach surroundings. Plus they have never grown as well for me as HPS. But I much prefer the color of light from CMH and halides.

cheers

Kiwiiwik

that used to be true. the quick fix would be to plug a heater in the room and pump in hot air from your intake...now leds added IR leds for that radiant heat.... leds are really full spectrum now so all this issues we discovered are pretty much fixed....

I understand because of quick reply i dont notice it... but yes after it looks real messy.... i will make sure to pay attention to that. but u can always copy paste into notepad space it out and make it a easier read...

I understand because of quick reply i dont notice it... but yes after it looks real messy.... i will make sure to pay attention to that. but u can always copy paste into notepad space it out and make it a easier read...

Excellent, I hope you do. I follow over 200 threads. If I have to copy, then paste and edit a reply to read it I'll miss out on tons of other thoughtful posts.

that used to be true. the quick fix would be to plug a heater in the room and pump in hot air from your intake...now leds added IR leds for that radiant heat.... leds are really full spectrum now so all this issues we discovered are pretty much fixed....

Radiant heat is very different to warmth and temperature, a heater will not help.

IR leds producing radiant heat sounds interesting but is out of my field of experience so cant comment.

Radiant heat is very different to warmth and temperature, a heater will not help.

IR leds producing radiant heat sounds interesting but is out of my field of experience so cant comment.

purpose of pumping heat is to raise grow area ambient temperature to 85f... thats my sweet spot... so canopy temperature is 85f also. but hps canopy always hotter then ambient... but me neither i cant comment much on this i just know full spectrum led work good and now have ir and uv green and orange.... and it makes huge difference compared to old leds with fewer spectrum or only blue and red thats all i can say....

purpose of pumping heat is to raise grow area ambient temperature to 85f... thats my sweet spot... so canopy temperature is 85f also. but hps canopy always hotter then ambient... but me neither i cant comment much on this i just know full spectrum led work good and now have ir and uv green and orange.... and it makes huge difference compared to old leds with fewer spectrum or only blue and red thats all i can say....

I have 2 plants in potting mix (30 litres pots) under led light currently in a very tiny propagation tent, 60cm x 1m x 1m high 180 watt led, just flipped to 12/12, just for a little fun.

Leds only about 30cm away. have pulled it off before with success in this tiny space.. light over kill

Just Mother Plants which have just been cut for clones and no longer required, so flipped to 12/12

20160118_190448.jpg

Cool but understand 1200watt led is not what it draws from the wall... you should of grabbed 3 400w leds or 2 600watt leds... one led light dont have good coverage.... when i talk about par i talk about ppfd photons received to the plants in miliseconds in 4x4 footprint... this is what matters with leds not lumens... im not gonna sit here and defend anything just bring you information so you can think what you want about me.. but my only goal is to help people understand growing with leds is easier... the chance of harvesting 1gpw is better with leds then with hps... and 2.0 gpw as been done... any beginner with proper setup can do 1gpw now with leds... and pro grower can do 2.0gpw or very close.... im not here to argue im here to share my awesome experience with leds and certain strains... back then i didnt know much about strains and still know vaguely... i only grow c99 strawberry cough and grand daddy purple... i know grand daddy is indica... but it dont feel like crack... make me very relaxed take away the stress and goes away clean no downer like hard drugs.... all these kush give me downer like hard drugs... or wake up feeling lazy.... gdp dont do that... c99 and sc is my favorites... i dont go for highest yield i go for what is good for me main reason why i grow... too much indica in street stuff....

Hey Dropout! I chose a single panel because I am running an experiment with as few variables as possible. You see I try to deal in facts.
The closest I could find to single 1000 watt HPS/ MH light in coverage was a single panel Led. Let's see it would really be a comparison of the differences between the 2 light sources if I ran two led units against one HPS/MH would it? I will be putting cloned 4 plants under each. Each will be planted in the same medium.... given the same exact volume of water..... the same PPMs of nutrient solution at the same stages of growth. Will be measuring intermodal lengths on a weekly basis of the top three nodes on 3 different branches of each plant. These stems will be marked so that I measure the same stem each time. Each plant will be pruned in the same manner, at the same stages of growth and the same number of leaders per plant will be maintained. You see this is how you get a true idea of how something performs. The idea in any scientific evaluation is to have as few variables as possible. I will also keep one plant out of each group of four as my control plant. I will chose the 2 most identical plants out of these four as my controls. These 2 plants will receive no pruning and just be left to do their thing. Best of luck in all you grow.

uptheholler said i read about strains but i never read this before... its not bullshit i grow the strain in yield the most... but i never pay attention to what breeder say they lie so much... i try to go by peoples experience.. if best pheno is 1:3 1:4 then i buy those seeds... if not they can keep there bullshit 1:8 1:12.... only stable strains are worth it... casey jones is pretty stable in phenotypes... btw i dont sell lights and only grow for me and my friends... im letting you know whats the best out there... thinks its funny... good laugh loll.... i bet i laugh last..

Hey Dropout! I never said that "you read about strains" I believe that you don't know...nor do you recognize the difference between what a "strain" offers and what a true "Hybrid" is. When you understand the difference then you will also understand my point of being incredulous at your absolute harvest total claims. As I said even with clones there are variables. You're entire position with regards to absolute harvest totals is shaky at best simply because you are not dealing with a true hybrid. Apparently you just simply refuse to concede this indisputable point or simply don't understand the difference. I'm with the other folks I have wasted too much time debating this issue. As we say in Appalachia, "Ain't just no use beatin' a dead horse!". I love growing and smoking weed. I personally don't care if I harvest an ounce or a pound off of a grow it's all fun to me! Best of luck in all you grow!

:lot-o-toke::rofl:

I'm waiting to see some of Dropout's results, in picture form .

5 years ago there was a great debate about CMH vs HPS in flower... finally the result is still not set in stone.

Some said they had leafier buds, some said they had buds oozing with trichomes and terpenes.

Pics speak a 1000 words, much better than some wall of text.

I'm finally going into flower so I don't care... I'll take what I get with my CMH!

Flipping to 12/12 this week, taking down the LED after two weeks into 12/12 and putting up the CMH

One plant, Mainlined

IMG_020653.JPG

Vlad:bongrip:

:lot-o-toke::rofl:

I'm waiting to see some of Dropout's results, in picture form .

5 years ago there was a great debate about CMH vs HPS in flower... finally the result is still not set in stone.

Some said they had leafier buds, some said they had buds oozing with trichomes and terpenes.

Pics speak a 1000 words, much better than some wall of text.

I'm finally going into flower so I don't care... I'll take what I get with my CMH!

Flipping to 12/12 this week, taking down the LED after two weeks into 12/12 and putting up the CMH

One plant, Mainlined

IMG_020653.JPG

Vlad:bongrip:

How long have you been in veg for vlad?

Leds and CMH do produce more trichomes and frost and potency, but they yield much less than HPS from my experience having used all 3.

Leds are dense buds (if kept very close or are high wattage) but smaller in yield, CMH are leafly but very potent. But generally only 400 watt, 600 watt lights make for a lot better grow just in my experience.

will be fire-in this baby up soon, looking forward to it.

20160119_032616.jpg

1200 watt if i can cope with heat.

sorry for all the upside down pics, but you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom