LED GROW-OFF Part Deux: XXX vs. 180w UFO

wizewizo

Alrighty, so here we go....

The Manufacturer's LEDs: Hydro Grow LED 205w vs. Jumbo 180w UFO

Growing Method: Aero for veg, and working out the system for flowering at the moment. But will hopefully get some 2x2 aero trays worked out, providing I can find them and the manufacturer can get them here in time.

Space: Each light will be housed together in a Growlab 145 which measures 4'9"x4'9"x7'. So each light will have 28" of width to cover. Also just purchase a CO2 emitter today, so I will be running CO2 to the girls as well once I get a tank.

Nutrients: General Hydroponics Flora Series along with their additives, if I throw anything else into the mix I will make sure to let everyone know.

Strain: Afghan Kush. I think that we can all agree that it performed well last run under the HGL light with Irish's grow, and we all know the AKush that was under the PS light was a major runt. So hopin to eliminate some of the variables that Irish had in his face-off. I have choose to start off with 4 girls under each light and will either pull the weakest one or perhaps 2 plants and just flower the remaining strongest plants.

Please ask any questions you might have, as I am certain my blazed ass left something out. Sit back and enjoy the show, cuz pictures are coming right up....

re: LED GROW-OFF Part Deux: Hydro Grow LED 205w vs. 180w UFO

LED_JOURNAL_031_Large_.JPG

Our working area. Growlab 145.

Jumbo_180w_002_Large_.JPG

Jumbo_180w_004_Large_.JPG

The 180w Jumbo. Hooked up to the watt meter it draws anywhere from 159w-165w

205w_and_126w_001_Large_.JPG

205w_and_126w_002_Large_.JPG

The HGL 205w. When hooked up to the watt meter it draws anywhere from 179w-185w

LED_JOURNAL_034_Large_.JPG

I look through the windows of the tent.

LED_JOURNAL_027_Large_.JPG

The lil'kushies under the PS light.

LED_JOURNAL_026_Large_.JPG

And a shot of the kush's under the HGL light

LED_JOURNAL_019_Large_.JPG

Thought I had enough mylar left over to put up a partition between the two, but I will get on that today. Just simply going to hang a piece of mylar between the two side.

Nice, I get to be here for a LED adventure from the beginning. I got my seat. LEDs research was how I first found 420 mag. I decided it wasn't time for me yet (or maybe more to the point, it wasn't their time yet), but that was more than a year ago, and it looks like there is some steady improvment. When you get a chance, can you maybe give some details on what the improvment of the HGL 205w compared to their 126w. Just more LEDs, or higher watt LEDs, and/or any other differences?
All the best in your experiment, should be fun!
HD

So is this the new light that Cammie talked about a few months ago?

Yes, this isnt the Pro Model but it is HGL's new adjusted color ratios. Honestly can't remember what previous ratios were but the new ones are as follows: 85% Red, 10% Blue, 5% White. They are predicting the shift in their ratios will produce roughly 10-15% end dry product. Total speculation, but sounds nice...

Nice, I get to be here for a LED adventure from the beginning. I got my seat. LEDs research was how I first found 420 mag. I decided it wasn't time for me yet (or maybe more to the point, it wasn't their time yet), but that was more than a year ago, and it looks like there is some steady improvment. When you get a chance, can you maybe give some details on what the improvment of the HGL 205w compared to their 126w. Just more LEDs, or higher watt LEDs, and/or any other differences?
All the best in your experiment, should be fun!
HD

Ye, it's pretty exciting to see the advancements that have been made, I would have never considered them a viable option a few years ago or even a year ago but technology changes rapidly.

The second generation light from HGL doesnt use 3w LED, they stick by their claims that together 3 1w LED's outperform a single 3w LED by a long shot. The only differences are the change in ratios in which their colors were used, previous models I believe had 20% white diodes and the new current line only has 5% whites. The white really does help for the grower to be see the plants much better. Not at all saying its better or worse, but it is a bit more difficult to get a true sense of the plants color under UFO light. Like I said though, thats strictly my opinion.

And thanks OFT and HD for stoppin bye and adding to the mix.

Nice pics, wizewizo.

The second generation light from HGL doesnt use 3w LED, they stick by their claims that together 3 1w LED's outperform a single 3w LED by a long shot. The only differences are the change in ratios in which their colors were used, previous models I believe had 20% white diodes and the new current line only has 5% whites. The white really does help for the grower to be see the plants much better. Not at all saying its better or worse, but it is a bit more difficult to get a true sense of the plants color under the 180w Jumbo light. Like I said though, thats strictly my opinion...

I would agree with that statement. Your efficiency will always be better with 1 watt LEDs run at their rated voltage and amperage over ones run at 3 watts, whether they have one chip or multiple chips on the same die. In addition is the fact that LEDs never run quite at their stated specification temps, and you have to de-rate their stated performance efficiency, sometimes significantly, based on their actual operating temperature. Kind of like the difference between in vitro and in vivo results in the lab.

I know you really wanted to do a 3-way with GLH, but in order to do that, I guess you'd have to - oh, I don't know - actually buy one? LOL...

As Heinlein said: TANSTAAFL, my friend - TANSTAAFL.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with these.

Regards,

-TL

I know you really wanted to do a 3-way with GLH, but in order to do that, I guess you'd have to - oh, I don't know - actually buy one? LOL...

For the record, I purchased the HGL lights at a extremely discounted price. I had been in contact with 180w Jumbo's sales rep. for some time. After jumping on board with HGL, he wanted to show me that their light is far superior and that there were so many variables in Irish's grow. So yes, the PS Jumbo was donated (which in my eyes speaks highly of their confidence in their product, after the results of the last grow. And then to go even farther and put it against the 205w as opposed to just the 126w.) Regarding GLH, I was in contact with Mike for about a month or so about his lights. Initially we are all set for launch and his light was going to be ran along side in this test (purchased two of the growlab 145's for the testing), but shit happened and fell threw the cracks. He offered me the 180w at a discount, but after opting for the nicer grow tents as opposed to the cheaper ebay ones I was going to get funds were pretty tight. I countered his offer with what I could afford, and he said he simply couldnt do it at this time. Startin a business up is extremely expensive and so I completely understand where he is coming from.

Peace

Hey Wizewizo, this is going to be awesome. For one HGL does not have the power to delete a thing on this grow. And the PS rep is absolutely correct - there were variables they were not correct. For one, nearly 1/3 of his crop was messed up due to some weird event that made his branches topple. Secondly his heaviest yielding plant on the PS side was a runt.

I do like how hgl changed the ratios and knocked down the white count, that was a much needed step but sadly the first round of customers were sold their under tested technology.

I think this is going to be a really fierce battle. Both lights are bringing a lot to the table and both now have some respectable third party test under their belts. Now we know both technologies are tested and do work, now lets see what company has taken that data am implemented it the best.

I put on money on 180w Jumbo. Number one being that the company is not in everyones face bragging and being obnoxious. That is stronger then titanium and holds the most weight in my books. Secondly they don't have sudden changes in there test technology when some true third party test are completed. Indecisiveness should never be trusted and shows an immense sign of weakness. Just my two cents.

Great job, and thanks for posting this thread at 420mag!!!!!!:nicethread::bravo::thanks:

Nice setup and thing you have going here wizo! Very nice bro! I am on board!

-Go

--> Thread Tools
--> Subscribe to this thread
--> Add Subscription

:nomo:

Hey Y'all! Thanks for stoppin bye and checkin shit out. Very excited to be conducting the testing. I will be setting up the divider today and hopefully be getting co2 to the room within the next couple of days. I'll be updating pics at least weekly, but more if needed. Thanks again to everyone for comin bye.

Peace

Yeah, guys sorry, busy weekend. I'll snag some more pics this evening for sure. Everything is looking great, roots are explosive, internode growth is startin to stack very nice. They were topped a few days ago, and new growth since then has been impressive. The only problem I am running into is keeping my temps up. I have been keeping my temps around 80-82, which sounds good to me but both manufacturers would prefer a bit warmer. However since running hydro without a res chiller I would start to worry about root rot if I got my temps up to their recommended 88. So I dunno about bumpin them up to that high.

nah your temps are jus fine bro. Jus keep rocking where you're at. Warmer isnt neccesary unless you are supplementing with c02

Re: costs?

LED_JOURNAL_019_Large_.JPG

hello man,can you give some price info about the lights,hydro buckets,mylar & tent?!
thanx!:nicethread:

GHS Indica H-mix

A solid 1200.00 USD and only one of those lights will get you out the door. 700.00 for the light, 250 on the tent another 250 on buckets, pumps, air pumps, stones, tubbing, fertz. In fact 1200 will really be pushing it, perhaps it would cost slightly more depending. Those prices are all online prices. Tents like that in a hydro store would easily run 400 or more. So I recommend ebay for tents, ferts, pumps, stones, the works. You will save hundreds of dollars for the same quality.

A solid 1200.00 USD and only one of those lights will get you out the door. 700.00 for the light, 250 on the tent another 250 on buckets, pumps, air pumps, stones, tubbing, fertz. In fact 1200 will really be pushing it, perhaps it would cost slightly more depending. Those prices are all online prices. Tents like that in a hydro store would easily run 400 or more. So I recommend ebay for tents, ferts, pumps, stones, the works. You will save hundreds of dollars for the same quality.

oh shit that's crazy! just say'n, for 700$ i can get five 600watt HPS lights, and can grow more than 150 big high potent cannabis plants,in grow room size 50 square meter!
:goodluck:man!

GHS Indica H-mix

oh shit that's crazy! just say'n, for 700$ i can get five 600watt HPS lights, and can grow more than 150 big high potent cannabis plants,in grow room size 50 square meter!
:goodluck:man!

GHS Indica H-mix

Then buy an HPS and by the way, you could probably buy two 600w HPS cooltubes for 700.00 bones. Ebay my friend......Ebay....but me personally, I like LED.

Back
Top Bottom