LED Guidance Needed

Tarkus

I have some questions regarding some of the differences I've noticed between various makes and models of LED lights. I'm looking for something to use in a 2x4x6 grow tent to replace a 600w HID. So far I've narrowed it down to these models:

Advanced LED Diamond Series 400W
Advanced LED XTE Series 400W
Intelligent-Gro II Intensity Series 360w
LED P600

- One of the features that (I think) I like about the Intellegent-Gro and the Advanced XTE series is the ability to fine tune the light spectrum and intensity. The Intellegent-Gro can be programmed to mimic diurnal and seasonal changes in the spectrum. From what I can tell the XTE offers the same or similar feature, except that it’s not programmable. Intuitively this ability to tweak the spectrum to mimic nature would seem like a distinct advantage. But is that really the case? Is this just a marketing strategy, or does this actually translate into better quality results?

- From what I’ve read, the modular feature of the XTE and Intellegent-Gro offers the advantage of easy upgrade or repair should one of the lights fail. I like that idea. But what is the actual failure rate for LEDs? Is this something I need to be concerned about? If you wanted to upgrade, what kind of upgrades are available? Is this feature something that any of you would consider in your purchase? Why or why not?

- Between the XTE and Intellegent-Gro, a possible advantage the XTE has is its 11-band spectrum as opposed to 10 for the Intellegent-Gro. But how significant is that difference?

- The XTE also offers the Cree 5w and Osram 3w LEDs. But what would be the real life advantage of that?

- I’ve also been looking over the Advanced LED Diamond Series 400W, which like the XTE also has 11 spectrum bands. But I notice that by all appearances, the Diamond 400w is identical to the Platinum P600 in every way. On the surface, the only difference I see is that the Diamond 400w is $336 higher in price. So my question is…Why the large disparity in pricing? If there are differences between them that would justify the difference in price, what are they? Can anyone explain this?

- The most expensive out of all of these is the XTE @ $1,195. Now…in my mind that’s a lot of friggin money for a grow light. That’s almost double the price of a Platinum P600. I understand that the XTE is on the “cutting edge” of technology, which I assume accounts for at least some of its price tag. But again…is this more of a marketing ploy, or does it represent a legitimate leap forward in achieving better and more effective results?

If the additional expense for the XTE can be justified, I’m willing to bite the bullet and fork out the money. If not, then it may be down to a decision between the Intellegent-Gro, Diamond Series 400, and Platinum P600. However, one of the reservations I have about Diamond Series and Platinum 600 is the inability to fine tune the spectrum like you can with the XTE and Intellegent-Gro. But again, I’m not sure to what extent that should factor in to my decision.

Can somebody please edumacate me?
Thanks in advance.

A few quick questions. What are the details of the grow? Hydro or soil? What type of cooling do you have for the tent? (air exchange, carbon filter, A/C, etc) Are you using a SoG or Scrog?

The XTE model will be the most efficient of all of them (ie you get more light and less heat for the energy put in... if it has the diodes it claims).

For all intents and purposes the DS 400 and the P600 are the same light. I haven't looked into Platinum too hard, but I would guess they are made at the same factory or the one Advanced used to use.

Icemud did a grow with the version 1 intelligentgrow and is in the process of using V2... His grow worked out pretty good so.....

With any of those Lights you will get pretty good results.

Hey Hosebomber
Thanks for the feedback. I'll be using coco coir this time around. It'll be my first time. But that's a topic for another day. The tent is set up in a spare bedroom. Central air and heat in the house. The tent has a 6" fan that's rated around 320 cfm I believe, and a carbon cannister filter. It pulls plenty of air through the tent. I used DWC last time using scrog. I figure I'll give it a go again this time, although I understand it may pose more of a challenge using coco.

Hey man. I can only speak from my experience with the LED, its been positive. I enjoy the lights. If I were to make a suggestion for your plan in that space, I would consider 2 smaller panels, like the p300's, two of them would rock that tent and heat wouldnt be an issue with the fan you run. Just my 2cents bro :)

For all intents and purposes the DS 400 and the P600 are the same light. I haven't looked into Platinum too hard, but I would guess they are made at the same factory or the one Advanced used to use.
A&P have the same supplier. intelligent is using another supplier, but there is no doubt that all those lights are made in China. I am just wondering why they buy from reseller at double price. actually they can buy from China.

I'm in the same boat Tarkus.. I've been looking at several LEDS as well. Have you looked at topled? I was just comparing the numbers and it looks like the p600 and reflector 192x3 are basically the same? Appears They are all made in China, some just pricier than others. Could there be that much of a difference??

Hey man. I can only speak from my experience with the platinum, its been positive. I enjoy the lights. If I were to make a suggestion for your plan in that space, I would consider 2 smaller panels, like the p300's, two of them would rock that tent and heat wouldnt be an issue with the fan you run. Just my 2cents bro :)

I actually have pondered the idea of using two smaller panels. But I'm unsure of the advantage of using two 300w panels over one 600w? It's still the same wattage. Plus a little more expensive to buy that way. I'm just curious why you recommend it. Help me out here.

bang 4 buck : TopLED MarsII 1600
get two & rock your space with a over kill of LED light
go over to CO Finest's MarsII 1600 scrog
that's just one pant on a MarsII1600
Mars II 1600! Super Monster Scrog Pounder

Do more research yourself, you will know where to go,:) welcome to my topic, hope you can find something there.
I actually have pondered the idea of using two smaller panels. But I'm unsure of the advantage of using two 300w panels over one 600w? It's still the same wattage. Plus a little more expensive to buy that way. I'm just curious why you recommend it. Help me out here.

Even though the wattage may be the same, it's not just about wattage with two of the same branded LED grow lights.. you need coverage as well.. as for best results, you need to balance output with coverage. Running multiple smaller panels will allow you to lower the panels further in order to increase the output while maintaining even coverage.

Check out our PAR test video.. see how different the numbers are with even 6" of height change? For this reason, you really want to get those panels down lower in order to increase PAR at the plant top level. With one big panel, you can't get as even of coverage as you lower them.

Also, this is another reason why 3w panels are more advantageous than 5w panels.. HEAT! Those 5w panels run VERY hot.. in the 90s.. and not only do they make your overall ambient temps in your tent hot, you can't get them as close to the plant tops.

In fact.. if you want to see a great instant side by side, watch what happened the day that Curso switched to 3w from 5w.. and within hours saw vast improvements. It all starts here on page 228.. and gets fun through the coming pages.. Curso's True High Brix!

Platinum
Thank you for that insight about the panels. I just learned something new. And I have seen that video. But I'm still too much of a novice to really have a true appreciation for the PAR measurements. It would help put things in perspective if I could see more comparable tests from other manufacturers. Maybe they're out there and I just haven't come across them. Nevertheless I am impressed by all the positive feedback I'm seeing about Curso's grow under your lights. It definitely has my attention. Appreciate all the help and info.

Not a problem! As you can probably tell, we're pretty passionate about our lights and what we do.

The concept of PAR is pretty easy to understand, though. It's simply a measurement of lighting power specifically in the range of light that's used by plants. Now that you're familiar with the term, you'll probably notice it more in the fine print of other LED grow light specifications by various manufacturers. One good thing about it is that it gives us (you, the consumer!) a concrete way to measure the power of an LED grow light without getting lost in marketing hype.

Again.. give a us a quick call sometime if you'd like! We love helping people through this process and are here to help however we can.

...are you up early, or late...?!?...

...I was convinced that four P 600's would work better than three P 900's due to the coverage issues described by Mark at Platinum...

...for aboot $50 more three 900's have 100 more LEDs than four 600's but it is believed that the superior coverage of four vs three panels will allow the lamps to be closer to the canopy resulting in higher PAR values...

...it not like I have not been second guessing that set up all day...

...I keep thinking of the old gram per watt dogma we aspire for and wonder if I have forfitted 30 grams of potential yield right off the bat...

...less than $50 to pick up another 300 watts (or 100 LEDS) is almost another lights worth of power cheap...I spent $2 per LED to upgrade from four 450's, eh...

...it would seem people have grown a gram per "watt" under a single P 300 already...

...there are rigging and powering considerations as well...

...two things to consider on the other hand are power consumption and the fact that when this issue of 4 x 600 vs 3 x 900 was put forth before a totally non 420 but VERY mechanically minded person the first thing off the top of his head was "coverage"...

...I have a 20 amp service in my grow tent room...the AC already runs on an extention cord from a different circuit...

...I know these set ups won't be drawing 2400 or 2700 actual watts but I figure I must be getting near the capacity of the circuit...with the three 400 watt induction lights running in there now I can't run a tiny shop vac on that circuit...

...three P 900's might be too much anyway...

...well.....three P 300's cost less than one Advanced LED 400 XTE...

...think big, Tarkus...increase of yield will likely more than pay for the difference first time and each time, eh...

...just sayin...

...growing a bunch of plants in coconut fiber too...may have some trouble chewing this bite...!!!...

...they seem to want food/water twice a day and much of it ends up in the pans...I already am running low on Ancient Amber...

...at this point I wish I had two plants in 4 x 2...I am getting so over budget I may get my throat cut and I can see I WILL be buying more nute's...

...I am thinking heat issues are putting folks off...

...methinks the proven side lighting and canopy penetrating properties of a multitude of lights trumps the theoretical advantage of a simulated sunrise...

...I WOULD like to have both, but would pick coverage over flashy tec...

Back
Top Bottom