LED hack advice

Remystemple

I'm going to order some cobs for a quick swap out of the led panel inside of 2 Mars Hydro 480w reflector series lights. I'm just wondering how many cree cxb3590's i'd be able to run per light.

i see there's 36v and 72v. the light as is pulls 200w from the wall so i'm guessing i'd be able to put 2 of the 72v or 4 of the 36v on. but i'm not sure. I"m mainly doing this to get inside the lights and tinker around so i can get familiar with their insides a bit. also i most likely won't ever use these lights again as is, but adding a few extra cobs on the ends of the tent would be very nice.

here's the specs of the light as is.

Actual Wattage: 207w/110v, 203W/220V Amp Draw: 1.93A/110V, 0.9A/220V

You need the driver specs. Voltage and amperage.
Ex. 144vdc @2100ma you could run two 72v cobs at 1050ma each or 4 36v at 525ma each. (Just an example, I don't remember 3590 specs off the top of my head but you can find them on the cree website.

You need the driver specs. Voltage and amperage.
Ex. 144vdc @2100ma you could run two 72v cobs at 1050ma each or 4 36v at 525ma each. (Just an example, I don't remember 3590 specs off the top of my head but you can find them on the cree website.

I'm a total flip flopper when it comes to making a decision. but since it's almost pissmas time and i always celebrate by spending a bunch of money on myself, i decided to just wait until black friday and try find all the parts for a deal.

there's something about cobs that i like that keeps me leaning away from wanting qb's.

i saw here, at 420 a cob set up that had 1 light per square foot of tent. in my case this would be 32 cobs, and seems like a bit of overkill. i was thinking that 18 or 24 should do just fine to start with.

also just started watching a video i found here at 420, that really explains all the voltage and amp stuff so i can actually get it, so that's great. Thanks to @PurpleGunRack for sharing it.

right now, because i'm lazy, and thinking is hard after work, i'm hoping to find a straight up shopping list for everything i'll need.

if i start with an 18 cob set up, i'll be looking for it to be easy to expand on it later. pretty much until i do hit that 1 per square foot eventually and just use a dimmer on it. and i feel like i'd want active heat sinks for sure.

any tips on making it easy to expand on would be gold. also if anyone just wants to hand me a list of everything they'd buy for the full set up would be fantastic as well. some of the websites i've been looking on have just too many options.

TurboBucket above is on it.

Not sure the specs on the driver but while your in there it might be worth a driver upgrade too.

Darn lag. Good luck on your build. Any questions, let us know.

I have 9 boards for 16 sq ft of space. It's 700+ square inches of light source Lots of coverage. Haha

I like boards over cobs because it's a bigger coverage area at a lower hanging height. You don't need as much head room to spread the light out. Whatever fits your fancy, they are all capable of growing nice plants.
Led Gardener has some build lists for strip light setups. That's the most common diy option now. It's more cost effective than cobs because you typically don't need a heatsink.

Darn lag. Good luck on your build. Any questions, let us know.

friggin QB guys always get me flipping and flopping lol.
are you guys planning a black friday sale?

i saw here, at 420 a cob set up that had 1 light per square foot of tent.

Flowering at 50 watts each, probably? Yeah, that is said to generally work really well, depending on the COB's and power supply's (aka "driver's") efficiency. Maybe build in a cushion in case you wanted to flower equatorial sativas in the future (65 to 72 watts?).

Flowering at 50 watts each, probably? Yeah, that is said to generally work really well, depending on the COB's and power supply's (aka "driver's") efficiency. Maybe build in a cushion in case you wanted to flower equatorial sativas in the future (65 to 72 watts?).

off topic but the side by side is almost done. harvest this saturday. and it's weird the liquid kb seemed to get larger buds but the dry kb ( according to my friend with a steady hand ) trichs ripened faster. gonna get a closer look and some pics at harvest.

Back
Top Bottom