LED - High Brix - C'99 - CBD Shark Shock - Afgooey

Hey guys,

I picked up a 60-100x loupe up locally today after messing around for a few hours with a DSLR and a 20x magnifying lens from a pair of tick pliers with no success haha. I came across an older article by subcool, are these guidelines regarding trichomes still what everyone goes by?

1. Fully-formed but still clear will provide a cleaner ‘up’ high with less sedative effect; this is the best window for heavy Indicas.

2. Fully-formed and turning slightly cloudy or milky; this is probably the best time to pick most hybrids available today.

3. Fully formed completely cloudy or milky with at least 30% of the heads turning amber; this is usually best window for the late maturing Sativa’s such as Haze. This is also a good window when using the plant primarily for Hash production.

The cbd shark shock is about 75% milky/ 25% amber.

Afgooey is 95% cloudy, 5% clear.

C'99 is 95% cloudy, 5% clear.

I'm thinking the shark and afgooey can get harvested, maybe another week or so for the c'99.

I harvest according to smells and appearance of buds---stinky crystalized plumped calyxes :)

I'm pretty sure all strains trichomes would become amber given enough time, no matter what your feeding them. Amber is a sign of oxidized THC, THC that has been lost and transformed into a substance that is only mildly psychoactive (CBN).

"Cannabinol is the primary degradation product of THC and increases in concentration with plant age. The concentration of this product in the bud is heavily dependent on the time of harvest. Harvesting the bud at a late stage also means that the concentration of CBN in relation to THC will be higher when compared to the peak of THC production.

CBN content increases as THC degrades. It is only mildly psychoactive and can cause "fuzzy head", drowsiness, disorientation and sleepiness in the smoker, properties that can be considered unpleasant in nature compared to the clear high of the THC. Its affinity to the CB2 receptors is higher than for the CB1 receptor, meaning that it mostly affects the body. Cannabinol is the primary degradation product of THC and increases in concentration with plant age. The concentration of this product in the bud is heavily dependent on the time of harvest. Harvesting the bud at a late stage also means that the concentration of CBN in relation to THC will be higher when compared to the peak of THC production."

There seems to be quite a bit of scientific reasoning with this theory. The mods don't seem to like us posting links to other sites unfortunately, it really hinders discussions I find.

I just like to make decisions based off data not faith or personal preference.

Spent about half an hour checking all the buds on the C'99 and afgooey with the microscope and decided it was time for harvest. I bud washed both of them and hung them to dry along side the un washed shark I harvested yesterday.

IMG_20160330_195727.jpg

I'll report back in a couple weeks :volcano-smiley:

Spent about half an hour checking all the buds on the C'99 and afgooey with the microscope and decided it was time for harvest. I bud washed both of them and hung them to dry along side the un washed shark I harvested yesterday.

IMG_20160330_195727.jpg

I'll report back in a couple weeks :volcano-smiley:

They hang 'em NICE!!! at birdhouses' :)

beautiful!!

Chop reps, Bird!

Hey everyone!

The buds we're left to hang for 5 days on the branches before they we're trimmed and placed into glass jars along with a few 62% rh boveda packs.

I weighed and sampled this weekend and the feedback has been great. The c'99 and cbd shark shock both yielded 4oz each and the afgooey produced 2 oz. Overall I'm happy with docs kit, can't wait to see how the next batch turns out!

Afgooey:
IMG_20160410_145853.jpg

CDB shark shock:
IMG_20160410_145939.jpg

C'99:
IMG_20160410_145915.jpg

I probably won't make another journal until I get some new genetics. I'll try to drop by docs threads every once in awhile.

:volcano-smiley: Thanks for all the feedback along the way!

Awesome! Great job on your first DBHBB grow!

Gorgeous buds, Birdhouse! :love::thumb:

Heheh, I should hope the feedback is great! That's premium herb there. :bravo:

Grats on the harvest Birdhouse! One thing I've found is to put the boveda packets in the final containers once they've stabilized. Usually about a week in the jar before I put the packets personally. After the initial drying and all the movement of moisture through the plant material, I look at them as slightly unstable. I want the moisture to stabilize before I put the packets in.

:cool:

Grats on the harvest Birdhouse! One thing I've found is to put the boveda packets in the final containers once they've stabilized. Usually about a week in the jar before I put the packets personally. After the initial drying and all the movement of moisture through the plant material, I look at them as slightly unstable. I want the moisture to stabilize before I put the packets in.

Same here.
Even when the buds feel dry, the residual moisture in the stems usually makes them climb back up. I wait on the Boveda for about another week and burp the jars each day.

Nice looking buds!:goodjob: Congratulations! Im curious how that Shark Shock CBD smokes. I got one in flower looking good but the CBD part makes me wonder about the high.

But the Boveda also serves as a buffering agent during the first several days. They hold an amazing amount of water. I've weighed a few plump and dry and they'll hold over a quarter ounce of moisture. :thedoubletake: A quarter ounce!

So, every day, I'll open the jar and catch a sniff, feel the Boveda ... If it still smells damp and the packet is fat and plump, I'll just change it out for a thinner one. That way the atmosphere in the jar stays at a steady 62 Rh. And it'll stabilize rather quickly that way - a week to 10 days at most. :slide:

Back
Top Bottom