LED - HPS - Or Both?

I agree a combination would be awesome. I started with HPS/CFL, switched to only LED and have personally gotten way better results. In a small space... LED has much much less heat. If you don't have proper air conditioning, then stick with LED for coolness. In the end I'll think you'll get better results than if it is too hot. YMMV...

I agree a combination would be awesome. I started with HPS/CFL, switched to only LED and have personally gotten way better results. In a small space... LED has much much less heat. If you don't have proper air conditioning, then stick with LED for coolness. In the end I'll think you'll get better results than if it is too hot.
So you feel as if you have gotten better results off of only LED?

The formula for your light bill is, cost per kwh x (watts of appliance ÷ kwh (1000)) x hours= cost. Or something like that. Math with words is a bit more complicated than I like it.
I have ran a 600w hps in a 2x2x3.5 tent but I had to run the AC constantly and that adds in 1.5kw hr every hour. Not cost effective. And my LEDs blow my 600s out of the water as far as quality and yield.

Tbh, doesn't sound that bad
Ive got two mars 96 reflectors for leds.
9f6746068bc3cf05bebed349feddfab5.jpg

So you feel as if you have gotten better results off of only LED?

Yes in my case absolutely. Primarily because with LEDs I'm able to get a whole lot more light without all the heat. I run an air conditioner, and have been thinking about putting one of them back in (it's a 150 watt HPS, very very hot and I had two going in a 10x10x4 space), but I don't want to pay the extra for air conditioning/electricity. The girls don't stretch anymore, secondary growth is better, and higher yields... I've got three "300 watt" leds running now... Total cost was only maybe $150 or so. If I were to supplement with light at this point I'd probably just do it with all the CFL's I've got lying around lol.

But I'm no expert by any means... I only grow for myself but I like the results... :)

I used the reflector 96 next to a 600w HPS for flower last grow, the sativa that grew under that 96 was sticky and sweet and beautiful. Every bit as good as anything else in the grow. Genetics had a bit to do with that too. Lol.

LED or HPS, it is always a question.
as a sponsor here, we do not only promote LED technology in this community, but also keep on sponsoring different members here, just for having chances to demonstrate what our LED grow lights can do in real world.
the members we sponsored just are same as most of the growers here, but they did /doing well.
journals below just for fair references.
SweetSue Shows Off The GROWant GR480 - More Light!
Blaze Showcases The GROWant G5 OSRAM G400 Grow Light

welcome to participate in these live journals. @Newtons

When buying your setup get a 600w with a dimmable ballast that sets at 250/400/600 and you can adjust your exhaust fan with a fan controller to get the perfect temperature.

and if its still to hot you can put the HPS in a cooltube. I run a micro grow 55x70x130 cm and have 2 mars panels 170w each and a 150w hps in a cooltube. But if i would do a bigger tent HPS al the way best bang for your buck. And you can always add leds or other way around. The mars panels are nice as well but produce heat 2.

so a dimmable ballast 600w hps with cooltube would give you a lot of power and you can run your exhaust true the cooltube and out the tent. Than you don't have to deal with all that heat in there.

Back
Top Bottom