Aroxol

Posted this in lighting section too.

Hey everyone, have a potentially unique situation happening that seems to be lighting related, and trying to sort out what’s going on as I’m more experienced with HPS than LED. The following pics are of a SINGLE RDWC plant - The is one plant running off the same reservoir. You’ll notice a color change halfway through. I have an Advanced LED XML350 (big props to Advanced LED btw, they’re awesome) in the center of the room and then a 3x100w ChiLED Logic pucks hanging towards the front.

I haven’t had time to turn the front lights off completely, so there’s a chance it’s just the spectrum off the pucks making the leaves appear to be much yellower than they really are. In the event that’s not the case, do any of you know what would be causing the color degradation? Would it be due to the strength of the front 3x100w pucks, or is it more indicative of heat? Also, does the color degradation even matter or is that just a function of growing with LED? Distance from canopy isn’t a problem, but haven’t seen this before. Doesn’t appear to be a nute deficiency so looking for some help. Thank you.

Front puck lights on low.
A465090A-093B-481F-85BC-6970812C05EA.jpeg

Front puck lights on high:
E350C94E-E951-46F9-A403-197641464AE0.jpeg

Just a guess with the lighting but they look like they can eat. More food would be my first thought.
OG
Even under led which is what I run they look yellow. Yours is a more full spectrum led= less of the purple effect.

I don’t think it’s underfeeding, but certainly could be overfeeding.

@Pennywise @Chris Scorpio can you guys help me understand what you *typically* take your DWC EC levels up to during flower? I understand it’s pheno/ strain dependent to a large degree, but just wondering where you typically max out?

With drain to waste, I usually don’t pass 1.8EC, but with DWC I went over that in veg without issue. Plant was looking good up til recently when I had a clog/flood of my entire system and since the res change/ refill, I can tell I’m getting lockouts but not sure why. Was sitting at 2.2EC, but just backed my soup down to 830PPM/ 1.7EC. Botanicare PBP feed calcs day I should be landing around 2.2EC, but that’s clearly way too hot and resulting in weird shit across on my plant (burn, discoloration, etc.). Any thoughts beyond backing nutes down?

5.8PH, 66F WT, 81F Air, 62%RH
RO water, Botanicare PBP, CarboLoad, CM+, Silica Blast
07EE0C90-120A-492F-B916-B7817E69C54E.jpeg
4A397B75-00F9-4CE2-B9F4-415826F4A5AF.jpeg
5AEFC40C-D196-45D7-8AA6-5436388D890A.jpeg

I don't go by ppm or ec personally
Ill test it just to see where it's at to monitor it dropping or raising

I go by % of manufacturer suggested strength and only do half

Ppm has so many variables, and if we don't use the same nutes and additives, it is no comparison really...and tap vs well vs RO make a difference to

I'd say now I'm running like 600-750 ppm ish

Are u running calmag or a PK booster, not familiar with those nutes

5.8 is low for flower unless you manually bring it up mine will swing from 5.8 up to 6.2 on the ph. 6 800 ppm isn't really going to feed anything in flower except a picky sativa. Just my two pennies, I would double the ppm in my system. 600 is barely veg food here.
Peace OG

All interesting perspectives and appreciate everyone’s input. Plant has been a heavy eater to date, but I think my only option right now is dropping down PPM/EC and hoping to flush things out a bit, then bump back up from there. Depending how tomorrow looks I may flush entire system and run clean water for a day. Stay tuned.

DWC seems way less forgiving when accidents happen (like a clog/ flood), but hopefully things will bounce back. Good news is buds all still look good...for now. Thank you all again for your help.:peace:

I don't go by ppm or ec personally
Ill test it just to see where it's at to monitor it dropping or raising

I go by % of manufacturer suggested strength and only do half

Ppm has so many variables, and if we don't use the same nutes and additives, it is no comparison really...and tap vs well vs RO make a difference to

I'd say now I'm running like 600-750 ppm ish

Are u running calmag or a PK booster, not familiar with those nutes
Yep I run CM and PK Booster. I tend to go by EC over PPM as that’s a more reliable source of the truth for me and hasn’t steered me wrong overall. I had a dialed in feed going, but after my system flooded I changed to match the parameters I got from the nute companies nutrient calculator. Followed that to a tee and the result is... well issues all over my plant. If I can curb the problems from spreading through a flush, I should be able to get dialed in again with my previous measurements. I am developing a real love/ hate relationship with DWC, but my $$ investment will probably keep me on this path for a while.

Just don't go full strength in base nutes and you should be fine

Half strength has always worked well for me

I'll run additives like calmag at full strength but not base nutes

I like DWC , besides taking up more room than say Hempy, the offset is huge plants

Quick update, running primarily base veg nutes now with calmag (sitting at 2.2 EC). Almost all of the burning spots have stopped; however still have yellowing on one part of the plant. It’s quite strange as everything still looks very healthy.

I’ve had pH locked in at 5.5-5.8 for the entire grow, but raised it up to 6.2 last night to see if that makes any impact. I think the natural reaction is to think the yellowing is nitrogen deficiency, but idk. Given it’s all the same plant, a little weird.

7E13507C-394D-42B2-A05B-677397E3FD66.jpeg

I know you are using a mag addative, but if the nitrogen is fine could be a mag issue. Have you tried a foliar with epsom salts??
1 teaspoon per gallon of water should see an increase in color fairly quickly if it is. Just a guess brother, but as you said first thought is nitrogen. How far along?
Peace OG

I know you are using a mag addative, but if the nitrogen is fine could be a mag issue. Have you tried a foliar with epsom salts??
1 teaspoon per gallon of water should see an increase in color fairly quickly if it is. Just a guess brother, but as you said first thought is nitrogen. How far along?
Peace OG

Current grow is in my sig if you want to follow along, but it’s Day 25 flower and TBH I’m not sure if nitrogen is fine. It was until I removed veg base and then issues started. Right now I have veg base back in the mix and so I’m hoping it’s back on track, but I’m sitting at 2.2EC so there’s not really room to add much more without diluting first.

I haven’t done foliar spray or epsom salt. I think epsom salt is interesting, but never having tried it before I’m a little nervous to start experimenting.

Pretty much just magnesium. I don't cut the veg or grow out until the last two weeks. We learn a little from each grow no matter how long we have been growing. You could just try on a leaf or two and see what happens. If you can get your food perfect or close to it, then it is a matter of staying on top of ph. Temps and humidity need to be in line, but I personally am not as concerned with those two as much as the first two. If they can grow in 110 plus degrees here in Norcal my tent is fine lol.
Peace OG

Back
Top Bottom