LED lights

Ycfro

Good morning all, I've been looking on line at LED lights, I'm currently using 2, 1000w HPS in a 4x8x8 room. There is no problems with this other than the hydro bill, good ventilation takes care of the heat. The room is always around the 70 degree mark, just looking to save some money.
Can anyone suggest some good LED lights ?

Good morning all, I've been looking on line at LED lights, I'm currently using 2, 1000w HPS in a 4x8x8 room. There is no problems with this other than the hydro bill, good ventilation takes care of the heat. The room is always around the 70 degree mark, just looking to save some money.
Can anyone suggest some good LED lights ?
:welcome: to 420 Ycfro,
Check out the sponsors page here there are a few suppliers on there that can help. :Namaste:

I say go with Budget LED, I use one of the 500w series 3+ in my 4x4 tent with great results!
IMG_20200317_161239.jpg

Best bet is probably Budget LED if you want to just plug & play.
The best option overall is a DIY light that you can build to fit your area exactly.

Strip lights are more efficient, spread the light more evenly, run cooler.

I built two lights a few months ago that are 24" x 26" running 800 LM301B diodes each that use 325 watts each at full power.
My space is 2.5' x 5' and the two lights dimmed down to 250 watts each give a very even coverage of about 1000 PPFD .

My cost was about $380 each but they're built as good if not better than any off the shelf light on the market.

The best option overall is a DIY light that you can build to fit your area exactly.

I built two lights a few months ago that are 24" x 26" running 800 LM301B diodes each that use 325 watts each at full power.
My space is 2.5' x 5' and the two lights dimmed down to 250 watts each give a very even coverage of about 1000 PPFD .

My cost was about $380 each but they're built as good if not better than any off the shelf light on the market.
I was just checkin out your grow journal...nice job. thx for the reply

Hey Nunyabiz.
I plan on doing a DIY build sometime soon, Curious on where you purchased your boards? I’ve been looking online and found a couple sites. I’d like to compare the numbers/$$.

Hey Nunyabiz.
I plan on doing a DIY build sometime soon, Curious on where you purchased your boards? I’ve been looking online and found a couple sites. I’d like to compare the numbers/$$.
I bought mine at Pacific Light Concepts.
"Photoboost Strips"
They sell out fast when they come in.
They also sell the heat sinks.

Just need to buy 16ga wire, a driver and whatever you want to use as framework.

bought mine at Pacific Light Concepts

Thanks, much appreciated.
I took a look at the site. They’re sold out. I’m just starting to look into DIY. I’m thinking I want to go with something along the lines of 6 QB 288 v2 RSpec in 3500k and an HLG 600h 54b driver. Then get single Slate 2 Heatsinks for each and space how I want on a frame I will build myself. I think that’ll work. My knowledge on DIY is VERY limited. The driver puts out 11.4amps I think the boards are good for up to 3000mA. The 604w will be shared between the 6 boards, no?

Another vote for @Budget LED. You can't beat them in performance or price. I've purchased 4 of their units thus far, and no complaints. HLG is the same type of light, but a bigger brand and price tag to go with it.

Really comes down to your budget. As Nunya mentioned, If you wanted something like a strip LED, and wanted something plug & play, I strongly recommend heading over to another forum sponsor, LED Grow Lights Depot, and checking out the Grower's Choice ROI-E680. It's a beast of a light, and the most even coverage I've found in a light package. I'm running one in a 4x4 and holy shit it's killer. An added benefit would be that you could get a single controller and run both lights from it. It also would let you dim the fixtures to the exact intensity you want. The fixtures alone, without the controller, dim in 20% increments.

Another vote for @Budget LED. You can't beat them in performance or price. I've purchased 4 of their units thus far, and no complaints. HLG is the same type of light, but a bigger brand and price tag to go with it.

Really comes down to your budget. As Nunya mentioned, If you wanted something like a strip LED, and wanted something plug & play, I strongly recommend heading over to another forum sponsor, LED Grow Lights Depot, and checking out the Grower's Choice ROI-E680. It's a beast of a light, and the m seem to ts, but most LED companies compare

Really comes down to your budget. As Nunya mentioned, If you wanted something like a strip LED, and wanted something plug & play, I strongly recommend heading over to another forum sponsor, LED Grow Lights Depot, and checking out the Grower's Choice ROI-E680. It's a beast of a light, and the most even coverage I've found in a light package. I'm running one in a 4x4 and holy shit it's killer. An added benefit would be that you could get a single controller and run both lights from it. It also would let you dim the fixtures to the exact intensity you want. The fixtures alone, without the controller, dim in 20% increments.
thanks so much,, I know nothing about LEDs but I've noticed they seem to compare themselves to HPS. I will check into this light..thx again

thanks so much,, I know nothing about LEDs but I've noticed they seem to compare themselves to HPS. I will check into this light..thx again

You're welcome. The biggest factor is how much you're willing to spend. For a 4x8, I'm sure you've prepared yourself or you wouldn't be here asking.

Here's a general overview comparison of the two lights I'd mentioned. You would need 2 of them, whichever you might select.

@Budget LED: Series 3+ Red Spec 500 Watt Dimmable Grow Light (3500k)

Power Draw: 500w (1000w for 2 units)
Veg Footprint: 6x6 (each)
Flower Footprint: 4.5x4.5 (each)
Price: $699 (They have a special code in their sponsor thread for forum members, that's worth 5% off)
Total cost: $1400 ($1330 after discount, and free shipping)

ROI-E680 via LED Grow Lights Depot

Power Draw: 680w (1360w for 2 units)
Veg Footprint: 6x6 (each, some places list 7x7)
Flower Footprint: 4.5x4.5 (each, some places list 5x5)
Price: $999 (They are on sale right now, 10%off. You can also check out the actual youtube page for their YouTube video for a 10% discount code as well. The discounts don't stack, but either way 10% off is $100.)
Total cost: $2000 ($1800 after discount, and free shipping. Add $200 for controller, if desired. I would recommend it though.)

Either of the 2 lights above will rock the shit out of a 4x8. The major difference is going to be a slightly more even spread with the ROI-E680, as they are strip LED's vice boards. However, to be quite honest, the real-world difference isn't much, and most likely someone is not really going to notice a difference.

One excellent selling point of the Budget LED boards is that the series 3 Red Spec now include some UV chips. This is a big deal, and an advantage over the E680.

Another point would be the power difference. You're going to cut your power in half with the Budget LED units, and with the others you'll end up saving about 30%.

Final point, the Budget LED setup will be about $700 less.

In the long run, while I do love the E680 (and they are quite popular, so at times may be on back order), if I were choosing between the two lights today, I'd be running to Budget LED. With UV on the boards now, plus getting the same or better PPFD for 180w less (per light), it's a no brainer. I'm a firm believer that if you can save a watt here and there with the same result, you're better off in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, the E680's are absolutely fantastic lights. I love the shit out of mine. However, in a side by side, unless one is super super super picky about how even their coverage is, to the point were a few % blows their mind, then all the favorable points swing to Budget LED.

Someone had mentioned HLG Quantum Boards as an option, and technically they are. However, side by side comparison against the same setup from Budget LED, HLG is blown out of the water right now.

The HLG panels are $850 each, use Samsung LM301B diodes (Budget LED is using the newer LM301H), and don't have the additional UV chips. They draw similar power. So really, other than having something that says HLG, that's it. Budget LED whips their butt. It isn't even close.

The HLG panels are $850 each, use Samsung LM301B diodes (Budget LED is using the newer LM301H), and don't have the additional UV chips. They draw similar power. So really, other than having something that says HLG, that's it. Budget LED whips their butt. It isn't even close.
You may want to re familiarize yourself with the HLG product before you make statements like that.
The 550 V2 RSPEC has been using the Samsung LM301H Diodes for quite some time now and it also incorporates 660nm deep red.
Budget LED make fine products but they certainly aren't in a class of their own

Back
Top Bottom