LED vs. HPS - veg to flowering using LED

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Grow With LEDs™ Features… and Benefits

SIMPLE
No ballasts, cooling fans or reflectors needed. LED lights use standard light bulb sockets.

LONG BULB LIFE
LED grow lights typically last 7 to 10 years before you need to consider replacing.

EFFICIENT
LEDs produce the blue and red wavelengths of light plants can best use in photosynthesis.

MINIMAL HEAT
LED grow lights are warm to touch and won't scorch young or tender plants as HID lighting can. Reduce your room/building air conditioning costs.

LOW ELECTRIC BILLS
For comparable plant growth, LEDs use only 20% to 30% of the electricity consumed by HID lighting.

VERSATILE
Blue LEDs can easily be added to enhance vegetative growth or red LEDs to promote the fruiting and flowering stage.

QUIET
Sh! - LEDs are silent

Here is what the lightbanks look like.
New_Cool_400_Hood_Bulbs_lit_tilted_upwards.jpg

XB Cool 400 Grow Light Hood - for lighting 9 to 16 sq. ft.
8 - 180 diode XB red bulbs, 5 - 60 diode XB blue bulbs,
22.5 x 22.5 x 5.5 inch fixture, a 12 ft. 120 volt AC cord & plug
97 watts. $1098.00 ea.

And here is a link to a site with up to date info on LED's GROW WITH LEDs™ | Growing Plants Using LED Lighting

If you grow a decent amount, forget the price of the LEDs, honestly. The amount of energy a grower willl save is amazing... Cutting back on a lot of energy bills. An added bonus of LEDs is their low heat...

Very nice post Moose. I rate this thread excellent. I am staying with the HIDs for now but maybe one day I start LEDs.

LEDs look very interesting. I've been investigating them for a while. Does anyone on here actually have an active LED grow? (I've seen one or tow on other sites, but definitely interested in first-hand knowledge.)

I highly doubt that major growers or even smaller scale growers are going to jump on the LED bandwagon. I would rather spend an extra 20-40 dollars a month on HID or Fluro's. The price for these LED's are ridiculous. I don't understand why they are so much and if they are any different than the LED's that I purchased to change the color of my car's dash lights :hmmmm:

It wouldnt be too hard to wire up your own led grow lights, it would just be alot of soldering. I have thought about doing it for a microgrow, and try and grow maybe some lowryder. But overall from what ive seen of them, they are not quite worth it compared to HID's, and theere would be a hell of a startup cost in order to get a decent grow going.

Give it time, and prices will come down. Guerilla growers will find the LED's most helpful, as a small bank with storage batteries can be run from solar panels. Over time, the initial set up costs will be more than recouped, when you factor in power costs.
The biggest thing is that it is a step in the right direction as far as Global warming, and the Kyoto Protocol on energy consumption.

LED's would just work in conjuction with another lightsource, if I am not mistaken? :bong:

Back
Top Bottom