LED wattage per square foot

TokerToms

420 Member
Ive decided to try out LED on my new setup. Have been reading up on it but it seems like ppl have diff oppinions on how many watt LED i should have pr sq/ft.
One place i read 32w pr sq/ft and 25w another place.

I just want to know your opinion on this and your recomandation.

- TT

Ive decided to try out LED on my new setup. Have been reading up on it but it seems like ppl have diff oppinions on how many watt LED i should have pr sq/ft.
One place i read 32w pr sq/ft and 25w another place.

I just want to know your opinion on this and your recomandation.

- TT

The lighting gurus/purists really don't like watts per square foot, but it can give useful guesses if you're careful.
First off, when you say "watts," do you mean the number of watts on the box or the number of watts actually used from the wall.
(A "450 watt" grow light usually only uses about half that much from the wall.)

Hi!
I mean from what it says on the box not what it acctually is pulling from the net

Another way to put this question.. My tent is about 60 sq/ft, is 4x400w full specter LED enough?

- TT

Its 2,4m x 2,4m (8ft x 8ft) and the plan is to have 4 lamps (400w full spectrum) and a small, narow walk way in the middle. About 50sq/ft growing space and 10sq/ft for access.

It's all a bit squiggly to figure out. You need to look at what space the light manufacturer recommends specifically for flowering (veg is always a wider area) and then take a view. 400w x 4 probably isn't adequate for veg and definitely not for flowering.

Mars II 1200 LED Grow Light (1200 = 1200 W) is recommended for a 4x4 flowering space, so in theory you would need 4 of these. I have the 900 and it is a very good light. There are more advanced versions of LED that you can look at. With a space that size you have tons of options. Are you going to have separate rooms for veg and propagation in that space? Is it all for flowering?

Good LED grow lights that are big enough for that many square feet are going to be expensive! Unless money is no object, have you considered HPS? Just a thought...

I go by cultivators advice everytime on LED lights if i were to buy them, anything from £700/$800 a light.

If you go with hps you could get 5 600w setups, for around £300/$500 and get nearly double the yield.

are you planning on putting the 37 plants in a 8x8? i would go for 16 mate, 8 plants each side, 37 in a confined space like that will be a nightmare.

Ive done some new calculations and you are right, its gonna be an nightmare and I think im either gonna stick with your idea on 16 or I might go for 20. 4x5 "sones", 5 plants under each lamp like a dise pattern.
Thx for the input :)

-TT

Good LED grow lights that are big enough for that many square feet are going to be expensive! Unless money is no object, have you considered HPS? Just a thought...

Money is not an issue here. Reason why I want to go for LED is bc of power usage, dont want to get cought bc im using to mutch power. Second reason is its easyer to controll the enviorment with LED it seems.

Ive done some reasearch and It seems like its not that more expencive if you need an air cooled setup.
Just have to learn and find the right lamps because im almost clueless :/

I would go for 16 plants, im running 10 in a 1.2x2.4 and its tight to water some of the back pots, atleast 16 you have ample movement to water.

Its not hard to control an environment i sit at 23c all day with 3 600w hps.

I will be doing the same setup next year 2.4x2.4m, so 8x8ft tent 5x 600w hps lights, 2x 6"x600mm filters on 2 tornado extractors, 20L pots, 6 weeks veg, coco coir, put a screen 14" above pots and bend anything over and tie down, just like a scrog, ill pull hopefully 100oz in 14 weeks.

I was speaking with my grow shop adviser yesterday and he basically said LED would take longer in a grow stage rate, for what you pay for quality led systems it will take you ages to recooperate via electricity saved, if you pay your bills on time electic companies arent really that bothered, its when you dont pay they start looking into you more, my electricity bills cost around £150/$180 for a 1 600w grow for 14 weeks, so my bills lately have been in excess of over £600/$700.

I would go for 16 plants, im running 10 in a 1.2x2.4 and its tight to water some of the back pots, atleast 16 you have ample movement to water.

Its not hard to control an environment i sit at 23c all day with 3 600w hps.

I will be doing the same setup next year 2.4x2.4m, so 8x8ft tent 5x 600w hps lights, 2x 6"x600mm filters on 2 tornado extractors, 20L pots, 6 weeks veg, coco coir, put a screen 14" above pots and bend anything over and tie down, just like a scrog, ill pull hopefully 100oz in 14 weeks.

I was speaking with my grow shop adviser yesterday and he basically said LED would take longer in a grow stage rate, for what you pay for quality led systems it will take you ages to recooperate via electricity saved, if you pay your bills on time electic companies arent really that bothered, its when you dont pay they start looking into you more, my electricity bills cost around £150/$180 for a 1 600w grow for 14 weeks, so my bills lately have been in excess of over £600/$700.

Reference cost of electricity and likelihood of getting caught. That depends on what country you are in. Helicopters with thermals look for heat signatures, or someone cheats and gets tipped off about electric usage. The police fabricate an excuse (I could smell it) and bust the grow. Where I live the reason police don't disclose the use of helicopters is because they aren't suppose to be wasting our money and time doing it. Cops. They just can't help themselves.

Back
Top Bottom