LED watts and spectrum for 30 clones?

FedLagNoMoe

420 Member
Hi,
So, I'm an MJ patient/provider new to growing. Been doing tons of research on the web the past few months and am ready to take the plunge. It's a little daunting, but grower friends have told me my 20+ years as a mycologist and commercial mushroom grower should serve me well, as in attention to detail, lighting, environmental factors, genetics, etc.. I'll break up my questions to avoid a rambling, difficult to decipher post.:yikes: I'll be vegging 30, moving 15 outdoors to flower, 15 indoors as I'd like to get experience with both. I have outdoor friends who can advise me(you know, the 4-6 lbs. per plant guys) but am a bit rudderless on the indoor.

1: As I've settled on LED (Mars II) Can I use the bloom spectrum for veg? I'd like to avoid the extra cost of having veg and bloom lights. Would I need to supplement with some white light, CFL's, fluorescent tubes etc...?

2: Is there such a thing as too much light? I'll be vegging in a 4x8 tent, hoping to start with 4x400w Mars II's. I read Hosebomber's sticky on lighting (freaking awesome, dude) suggesting 22.75 watts per sq ft. Would this be what the light is actually drawing, or the stated manufacturers 400w? That would be 200 draw watts versus the "400 watts" in the model name, or in a 4x8 tent 25 watts per sq ft vs 50 watts per sq ft. The difference is significant. I"ll have plenty of other questions as I move along, but wanted to start here. This is an absolutely AWESOME forum!! Thanks to all those who put in the work and contributions to make it so excellent! I"ve also got some questions about growing mushrooms and herb in an outdoor greenhouse, seems they could benefit each other since many mushroom species thrive in low CO2 environments, but produce a lot of it, while herb thrives in the higher CO2 environments while producing oxygen. That's for another thread and sub-forum though, I would guess. Cheers, and thanks for any and all advice!

While I do not own the Mars II model (I own the 96x3 reflector), I believe it does have white. Those who own one feel free to correct me. Again, I don't own that model but the standard spectrum has proven to work rather well in a few peoples grow journals. the "flower" spectrum is only white and red diodes and will likely cause some stretching in your plants. The 96x3 watt version has a switch to turn off a large majority of the reds for "veg" cycle. I personally feel that for vegging indoors, the 96x3 watt reflector series would better feel your needs, and when you want to flower indoors, simply turn on the other switch. In either case, there shouldn't be a need to supplement with other lights.

There is a point at which there is too much light. The technical term is the light saturation point. It's not very likely that you will hit that mark. Producing that much light generally creates a heat issue prior to hitting the light saturation point. The numbers I stated in that post are the minimum number of watts that you want for any given cycle. Yes, that is bases on the actual power draw and not the claimed or label wattage. Using a kill-a-watt is the most accurate way to to get the actual draw information cheaply. Multi-meters work too if you have one laying around, but a kill-a-watt is cheap and easy to read.

Using a kill-a-watt is the most accurate way to to get the actual draw information cheaply. Multi-meters work too if you have one laying around, but a kill-a-watt is cheap and easy to read.

Funny you should say that Hosebomber, I just picked up a free multimeter yesterday using one of those Super Coupons from Harbor Freight. So, watts would be the number of amps drawn times the voltage. Where would you place the leads to get an amp reading?

Thanks Hosebomber, good points and advice. I was drawn to the Mars II because of the 5w diodes. It's my understanding that they provide more penetration of the canopy then the 3w. What about the full spectrum Mars II? Do you see any disadvantage to running full spectrum for both veg and flower? I like the fact that the Mars II gives you about 50% more watts then the Reflector in a slightly smaller dimension. The 193x3 is approx. 22"x18", While the 1200 Mars II is 18"x18". Thanks for taking the time to edjumicate me! :)

For testing the amp/voltage pull with a multimeter, simply place one lead on the black (hot) wire and one lead on the white (neutral) wire after the plug. generally easiest and safest to do just inside the case prior to the power being distributed to the drivers. Remember this is my first factory tested panel, and I'm pretty sure opening the cases in not advised by the company selling the panels. Read "MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY"....

For vegging plants 3 watt diodes have more than enough penetration power, use less power, and cost less. I know we all want the best for our grows and our plants but If you can save in multiple areas and still get the same or better results.... It's like buying a $50k Ford that gets 18 mpg thats going to break down in 5 years or buying a $30k Honda that gets 40 mpg and will last 10 years. You're getting all the features you need in a car, better mileage, at a better price, and that is cheaper to maintain. (sorry Ford lovers). Unless you are going to attempt to grow really tall plants indoors, there isn't much of a need for the 5 watt diodes in my opinion. If you are using sea of green or screen of green 3 watt is more than enough, and I have even seen 1 watt diodes pull those off very successfully. The full spectrum is the "standard" I was referring to in the first post.

Back
Top Bottom