Legal Hydro's Speedy Gonzales Journal - July 2015

Legal Hydro

Legalhydro's Grow Journal

Speedy Gonzales

Hello!:420:Community! Legalhydro here bringing you my first grow journal! All feedback is greatly appreciated! This is my FIRST ever grow! :cheer:

Link to the seeds strain lineage/genealogy --> Speedy Gonzales (by Flash Seeds) :: SeedFinder :: Strain Info

Height: 50 / 100 cm
Time to harvest: 65 / 75 days from seed
Harvest: 25 / 45 gr per plant
Flowering: Automatic flowering

Lets fill you in on my setup:

Strain - Ruderalis/Indica/Sativa. Lowryder 2 x Diesel x Great White Shark
# of Plants - 4
Grow Type - Hydro
Grow Stage - Veg (5 days as of this post)
Setup - Recirculating 18 gal DWC tank with a 10 gal chilled reservoir. Top water fed.
Location - Indoor
Water Pumps - Active Aqua submersible 400 GPH (In res tank)
- Smartpond submersible 120 GPH (In grow tank)
Air Pump - Aqua Culture 20-60 gal double outlet air pump w/ 2 14" air stones.
Fan - Bionaire remote control oscillating tower fan
Light - 4 13 watt 2700k CFL bulbs with custom reflectors. (Switching to 600 watt MH in a few days)
Nutrients - HDI Ionic Grow 3-1-5
Medium - Hydroton w/ Rockwool cubes
PPM - Unknown (Ordering meter)
PH - 5.9 (Using GH PH up and down)
RH - 50% to 55%
Room Temperature - 75f to 81f
Solution Temperature - 61f in res tank. 59f in grow tank.
Room - 5 feet by 3 feet
Walls - Covered in tinfoil for now will be switching to flat white paint or some emergency blankets soon

So here's a little more detail about whats going on here. I'm chilling my water with a spare fridge, the res sits in the pull out bottom freezer drawer and the water coming in from the grow tank is dispersed via 4-way sprinkler head. I added the sprinkler head in the tank to spray hard and create mad bubbles in the res tank. I drilled an existing ice maker water line on the back of the fridge to fit my water intake, return, and power cord for pump threw. As far as the grow tank it has a 6-way sprinkler head which feeds each pot with fresh nutes. As for now the grow tank sprinkle head is not turned on, I just have the water from the res pouring in the tank. I will connect the head in about a week or two. The grow room is in a corner of my garage with plenty of air.

Seeds germinated in paper towel for 3 days, with 3 seeds having half inch or better taproot. 1 seed barely cracked but I moved all into the medium. Two seeds I had to help remove the shell as I felt they were stuck. This was done very carefully with a knife and I just kinda gently scrapped the shell off.

Mixed first nutrient solution in yesterday (4 days from germination) I mixed less than 1/4 of recommended solution as I fear nute burn:thumb: Realized after I did this that it was way too early to add nutes. Thankfully 30 mins after I added the nutes a major leak occurred which flushed out 10 gal of water. I fixed the issue and added 1the same amount of water that had been sitting out for over 24 hours and ph'd it.

Actual Log

7/1/2015 - Started germination
7/3/2015 -Transferred to growing medium
7/4/2015 - First cotyledon leafs appeared, Mixed less than 1/4 of recommend dose. 30 mins later a major leak occurred and flushed 10 gal of water out. Replaced with sterile ph'd water no nutes.
7/5/2015 - Lowered lights 2 inches from top of plant 13watt CFL bulbs)
7/7/2015 - Res. temp at 61f and grow tank at 59f Room temp. 73f and %55 Humidity Ph at 5.9
7/7/2015 - Raised water level from bottom of net pot to where 1/2 inch of water is covering the bottom of the pot.

11693004_10204053023638595_242309557_n.jpg

11713525_10204053024038605_615179500_n.jpg

11668210_10204053024558618_407214340_n.jpg

11693191_10204053024198609_428935031_n.jpg

This temp reading is after I played around and moved it various places including outdoors. No my temp span isn't 68f-82f. Stated above is what my grow room temp stays in.
11713603_10204053505010629_1288634120_n_1_.jpg

11694324_10204053505050630_1185047060_n.jpg
Grow tank temp... thoughts? to cold?
11693033_10204053505090631_2136662698_n.jpg
Res temp.. thoughts?

subbed. and just an FYI, tin foil can cause hot spots and burn your plants. also, go easy on the nutes. Usually no nutes until first couple sets of real leaves. Those little cotyledon leave should sustain it until then.

go4snypr, I had a major leak issue which basically forced me to dump 10 + gal of PH'ed water back into the system after the nutes went in (was able to catch it before my pumps burned up) so basically I'm running water with a VERY slight amount of nutes if any. Need to get my PPM meter asap. I'll be changing out the walls after further studying how tinfoil affects the plant. Thanks for the awareness!

Posted my current temps in my journal.. looks like my grow tank is colder than the res. not sure how that's possible turned fridge off for now probably will put it on a timer. 59f in grow tank and 61f in res. thoughts?

I read that you can run your res that cold, but never done it myself. If you have it on a chiller, can't you adjust the temp?

I read that you can run your res that cold, but never done it myself. If you have it on a chiller, can't you adjust the temp?

My res tank is in a fridge on the lowest setting. Thinking about putting the fridge on a timer to control temp.

Excited to announce 2 Blueberry OG seeds going into water tonight!

:rip: Too one of my Speedy G's.. I didn't think she was going to make it anyways as she had the smallest taproot. 3 out of 4 Speedy G's left. All 3 look great and growing. My 2 Blueberry Og's just cracked and are still germinating. will post temps, PH and all the good stuff later tonight.

Hey Legal!

Thanks for the invite. You've got yourself a great setup. Unlike Iwltfum, I haven't heard that you can run your rez that low (He's way smarter than me). In general I was under the impression that you don't want your water supply under 70F.

Also, I know you have a chiller in there, but do you have a bubbler? or something pumping oxygen into the water? Something as basic as a fish tank pump can agitate the water enough and they're quite affordable coming in around 10-20$

And since you now understand the nutrient bit. Try and avoid using anything until you have the first "true leaves" before you begin your seedling/veg stage of nutes.

DO NOT SWITCH TO A 400W in a few days. It will be entirely to much light for those little girls. You have time, a lot of time, before you need to run an HPS. I would suggest getting another 4 of the exact same lights. And run CFL for the entire veg process. This is quite common. I do it myself and have great success. (Just check any of my journals). If you were to switch the lights right now, the girl would shrivel up and die because of the heat and intensity of the light.

Ok ok. I'm done. But I seriously like what you have going on and cant wait to do yo thang!!

Sending lots of love and positive vibes for you and your garden

Pigeons420, as always thanks for the response! The reason I run my rez at such a low temp is I fear algae. Someone please correct me if I'm doing wrong. Today rez temp is at 66f and grow tank 68f. I now know the time the fridge needs to turn on and off to maintain around this temp. Further test will be done regarding this. Will be purchasing timer tomorrow for fridge (res tank)

My rez tank has 4-way nozzle spraying at 120gph. Is it necessary to add a air stone? Pics to come of nozzle action. Remember my 400gph pump sits in res tank. It's on about on it's lowest setting to match my 120gph pump in grow tank. I would say rez pump is pumping 130gph to compensate for my 6-way feed tube to grow tank which is 10 ft. of hose.

I've seen your grow logs with CFL's which are epic to say the least. However I want maximum yield without a million bulbs. I see where switching to a 600w Mh bulb in a few days could worry you. Don't get me wrong I'd like to use CFL's to produce maximum yield the whole grow. Can you show evidence on same grow MH/HPS vs CFL yeild? Would love to do without the heat of MH/HPS to grow the max yield. Could go LED's but my pocket is short for that. Input?

If I were to switch lights now they would be placed far enough away not to kill my babies.

From high in the mountains... Legalhydro

Unlike Iwltfum, I haven't heard that you can run your rez that low (He's way smarter than me). In general I was under the impression that you don't want your water supply under 70F.

I think a safe rage is probably 62-75f. I'm pretty sure algae starts growing at 70f, but if you have something in your res to control growth, than you would probably be fine. I like my res to stay spotless so I use h2o2 constantly because the temp likes to hover around the 68-70f mark. If the temp goes above that, I usually start getting slime and other unwanted stuff in my lines and resies. Low temps arent usually as big of a problem as high temps. Low temps just cause stunted growth (unless you're talking about getting into the 40's or 30's).

If your switching to a MH then you issue isn't as big. But I would still run CFL for the first couple weeks. No point in wasting the electrical costs of running a light you don't need yet. If your planning on switching anyway just run the few CFLs you have for another couple weeks. Then you'll be fine. If you want to know why we don't use HPS on seedling just check out my failed journal. Tried to germinate and do seedlings under an HPS. Fried every one of them.

As for the temp of Rez. Iwltfum is your man, if he speak, I listen.

Thanks for the reply's! Here are some progress pics? Start nutes?

Plant A
imageedit_1_7165644254.jpg

Plant B
imageedit_1_9244142483.jpg

Plant C
imageedit_2_4103028669.jpg

Day 5

Notice Plant C has some yellow markings, that is where the seed was attached and I removed it.

Is the white on the leaves normal?

:thumb: Newest addition to the grow room!! :thumb:

400 Watt Custom CFL Light Box:

4 - 23 watt Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (400 watt equivalent) Produces 6400 lumens with a color of 5000 kelvin.
1 - 13 watt Blue CFL Bulb (For added blue spectrum)
Material - Cardboard Box
Dimensions - 12 X 12 X 5 1/2

11733231_10204066071564785_1418180210_n.jpg
11733257_10204066071484783_1514735128_n.jpg
11714314_10204066071244777_817481765_n.jpg

The white on the leaves is probably where you sprayed water on them. Should be fine!

I would wait until next feeding to do nutes. But she looks ready. Start at half strength the work your way up to learn her limits.

She's beautiful. Keep it up!

Edit:: great looking box! Don't forget that with CFL you will want to surround the plant with them. On the side and top to maximize light coverage.

The white on the leaves is probably where you sprayed water on them. Should be fine!

I would wait until next feeding to do nutes. But she looks ready. Start at half strength the work your way up to learn her limits.

She's beautiful. Keep it up!

Edit:: great looking box! Don't forget that with CFL you will want to surround the plant with them. On the side and top to maximize
light coverage.

Hey Pigeons420, I plan on adding as many CFL's as possible while controlling heat. As of now, with everything running, I'm pulling 1000 - 1200 watts on one outlet. Is this too much?

After asking that question I did some research and here is what I found:

Most modern residential circuits are 15 or 20 amps, so we're looking at a max load of either (15A x 120V =) 1800 watts or (20A x 120V =) 2400 watts before the breaker trips.

After scoring some Ghost Train Haze OG - Sativa from my local dispensary, I found a seed! This is the first time as I am a regular at this place. I put it in water last night and plan to start paper towel germination today. The seed was small and white so I'm not sure how she/he is going to do. If this seed goes it will fill all of my pots. So 1 Ghost Train Haze OG, 2 Blueberry OG's, and 3 Speedy G's.

Hey Pigeons420, I plan on adding as many CFL's as possible while controlling heat. As of now, with everything running, I'm pulling 1000 - 1200 watts on one outlet. Is this too much?

After asking that question I did some research and here is what I found:

Most modern residential circuits are 15 or 20 amps, so we're looking at a max load of either (15A x 120V =) 1800 watts or (20A x 120V =) 2400 watts before the breaker trips.

Solid information bro! I wasn't quite sure about the answer myself.

Back
Top Bottom