Legalization Would End Drug War In Mexico, World

Jimbo

Arizona
-------
A shootout last month in the streets of Tijuana resulting in at least 13 fatalities was a glaring display what happens when society bans intoxicants.

Mexico has experienced a drastic rise in violence over the past few years. President Felipe Calderon has focused Mexico's army on combating the drug cartels but, instead of curbing the gangs and cartels, the violence has escalated. Tijuana's main hospital, treating the injured from that gunbattle, has been locked down and surrounded by federal troops.

Last year, more than 2,000 people were killed in Mexico in drug prohibition-related violence. This year, more than 200 have been killed in Tijuana alone.

But Mexico's drug-war deaths are not just rival traffickers caught by their competitors. In Nuevo Laredo in 2005, new Police Chief Alejandro Dominguez was gunned down hours after being sworn in. In January, Tijuana Deputy Police Chief Margarito Saldana Rivera, his wife and two young daughters, were killed in their home.

The proposed solution to the increased drug-war violence is more money, more soldiers and more guns. The Merida Initiative - or "Plan Mexico," as many are calling it - is a $1.4 billion "aid" package for Mexico and Central America ( with the lion's share going to Mexico ) with the intended purpose of bolstering Mexico's drug war.

Is there a solution to the problem of drug-cartel violence in Mexico ( and the U.S. )? Absolutely. Just as the criminal syndicates controlling the flow of booze during Prohibition were cut off from their profits when the distribution of liquor was returned to legitimate businesses, the same can happen with our very few illegal drugs.

Legalization is a viable alternative. It has a historical precedent in the ending of Prohibition but often gets dismissed as the notion of radical pot smokers.

There is an organization comprised of former ( and current ) criminal-justice professionals raising a voice against the war on drugs. I am a member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, and I stand proud with the others who've served on the front lines of the drug war.

We've spent our careers going toe to toe with drug dealers and gangs, and we speak out about the travesties of justice and the lack of success wrought by the entrenched drug-policy bureaucracy - empowered by politicians seeking to appear "tough on crime."

Legalization will not be a cure-all for the problems of drug abuse. What it can do is take away an industry that generates $500 billion a year in cash trade ( 8 percent of total annual global trade, according to the U.N. ) from gangs and international drug cartels. It will free up law enforcement to pursue those who daily commit crimes. We can no longer afford to be the most imprisoning nation on the planet. We cannot afford to neglect our children's educational resources. Prison is no substitute for school. End the drug war. Take away control of drugs from criminals and their organizations. End the violence that shatters the peace of our communities and is escalating at a tragic pace in Mexico.
MapInc

I tell ya, those folks at NORML are my heroes!!! Now if they can just make believers out of our elected officials, we'll be in business!!!

I think if anyone could do it, it's them. :roorrip:

Here's the thing that I have a hard time wrapping my brain around...why is it that, with so many people, and most of all, organizations, fighting for canna reform, (which, by the way, is the only drug in the world that has such dedication to it) Why cant our government understand that everyone wants it legalized?...WE THE PEOPLE want it legalized.
I mean, there are way too many pushing for it, for them to just keep turning a deaf ear.
Do they not think that voting power has a direct effect on their jobs?
Do they not realize that without us they do not have their jobs?
Do they really think that if they hold out long enough, that it will simply go away?
Do they really believe that scare tactics are going to win points with main stream America
Are they so brainwashed that they cant see that anyone with half a brain can grow cannabis with little effort?
Most of all, cant they understand that by legalizing both hemp and cannabis their is vast amounts of money to be made from it?

These are just a few questions that plague my brain everyday! I have no answers as to what they don't understand about it.
Most of mainstream America has come to grips with the fact that marijuana is not as harmful as the government once had everyone believing, and now more than ever, the medical research should tell them that.
Does John Walters have that much influence on their decision making process? WHY? WE WANT ANSWERS!!!

I think they are going to start realizing in the NEAR future that they will not win. All we have to do is keep the movement alive and we can prevail.

I still don't understand why, with so many people really wanting something so bad, they still cant just say, "ok, if they want to smoke their pot so bad, we'll give let them".
It's not like it's just one or two, or even a small group of people wanting this...it's millions of us, and some have even dedicated their entire lives to it...so what's not to understand about it?
I think the tide is turning to where it will be the ones opposing it committing political suicide, not the other way around...the fact is, we have got to start pushing the issue so hard that they have no choice but to end this awful war...but until we do that, they will just keep on fighting against us as they have always done.
I think it's high time for a cannabis revolution in this country...but my question is, how do we get the word out to the people that are not just here at 420 mag? I mean, we here know that we could be on to something beautiful, but what about the rest of the smokers all over the country...oh, how I wish I knew how to het the world involved!

This response might land me in the nuthouse. Not all of it, but part of it.

Keeping things sane for a moment, I think to let the world in we just need to print as many flyers as possible about cannabis. Leave them everywhere. Hand them out to anyone with hands. Go to the mall and drop them into peoples shopping bags! Leave them inside of magazines in waiting rooms. The possibilities are endless.

The slightly nutty portion of my response.... If we could get enough people involved that would agree to do this, we could shut down the economy for awhile. I'm talking about a mass boycott of everything. Quit working, quit buying, start toking. Even though that sounds impossible, I think if we could find some way to make it work, it would be EPIC.

I totally agree with the first part, and I've even been saying that my self.

The second part is totally imposable, because most working adults have kids to feed and bills to pay.
I mean, you see how the gas prices are these days, and you would think everyone would just say "no" I refuse to pay that! but we all just keep on paying their prices and getting mad about it, but we still do it because we are stuck having to go to work, the grocery store, the doctor...etc...etc...
It's a big shit burger, and we all just have to take a bite, whether we want to or not...life sucks, and then you die!

But all that being said, I still believe in canna reform, because I whole heartedly believe it's an achievable goal...I'm personally never going to waver from that goal, if it means going to my grave fighting for it.
My last words will probably be, LEGALIZE IT! ;)

Have it engraved on your tombstone! And I agree with you about the shitburger... That second part was mainly for laughs. I agree about fighting for reform until the day we die. I think that's what it takes for change.

Well, for me, it's one of those things, where I barely even remember a time that I didn't want it legalized...I mean, over 20 years now. I started clipping my dads weed when I was like 13 or 14, and I've never looked back. I absolutely, without question, LOVE MARIJUANA!!!
I always have and I always will!!! It's one of those things that has been an intricate part of what makes me who I am...and I have always had a burning desire to see it become legalized.
I just never knew how many people felt the same way that I did, until I typed in the words "marijuana" into my search engine one day.
From there I just kept seeing more and more sites like this one, with so many people believing, like I always have, that weed should be legalized.
My passion for this comes from a lifetime of wishing and hoping for cannabis legalization.
I'm just beside myself with excitement, to finally be able to share 20+ years of pent up thoughts with so many people that feel the same way about it. :grinjoint:

I feel the same way. I think the majority of us stumbled onto this site by mistake. Just searching something related to weed. We have so many threads it's almost impossible not to find something.

I feel the same way. I think the majority of us stumbled onto this site by mistake. Just searching something related to weed. We have so many threads it's almost impossible not to find something.

This is like the 5th or 6th forum site I've been to, and by far, without a doubt, the nicest, most generous forum on the net...I would challenge any others to compete with 420 Mag, for genuinely good hearted people.

I was in one out of NY one time, and the mods there were so hateful, that I immediately left and never went back.

A lot of others you can tell they are just a bunch of stupid kids just getting their rocks off dogging people out for being passionate.

Then you have some that are based in other countries. Nice people, but the language barrier makes it kind of hard to communicate with them...although, the Europeans really know something about growing...cant knock their growing skills.

Then you have our beloved 420 Magazine...the cream of the crop, in my book!!! I mean, I can't say enough about the people here...so so cool!!! :grinjoint:

I know! When I first registered I had people talking to me and all. A lot of other forums are just, you can register and then have people not talk to you for about a forever and a half. I feel like I'm amongst family when I'm on 420mag. It's without a doubt the best site.

It does feel good to be wanted. Sometimes even needed. A lot of people around here give the greatest advice.

Back
Top Bottom