Legalizing Marijuana Will Ruin A Great Culture

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
As we coast through this election season, it seems that everyone has knowledge on current and relevant issues: the economy, gas prices, gay rights, etc. That said, there is one issue on the minds of American youth that you don't have to wait until an election year to hear about: Marijuana.

The fight for reform of weed laws has been quite a long battle - nearly half a century and counting - but the pot smokers of America refuse to relent. From their ongoing struggle against the woes of prohibition, the cannabis consumers of our country have managed to create what is now one of the nation's largest student organizations - the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, or NORML. After all the buildup I've crammed into this introduction, it will probably surprise many readers that I think the legalization of marijuana is a terrible idea.

Before I explain myself, I feel obligated to mention this: I have nothing against pot smokers. Some of the nicest, most intelligent people I know are frequent users, and almost everyone I know will admit to trying it at least once in their lives. I honestly see nothing wrong with purchasing or smoking marijuana, - after all, it doesn't seem to have any negative effects, short or long term. It's the lack of any real negative effects that make weed the most popular illegal substance. I would never tell a pot smoker that what they are doing is wrong or try to get them to stop because it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal. That said, I myself have never participated in such an activity; it's just not my style. I like the idea of knowing that my zany thoughts sprout from a sober mind.

So why not legalize it? Simple logic: If pot becomes legal, it just won't be interesting anymore. Marijuana is one of the only illegal substances so influential in American culture that it's users have developed a sub-culture of their own. Weed culture is a nationwide phenomenon complete with films, music, books, stores and silly T-shirts; all dedicated to America's favorite criminal pastime. It's a culture with its own heroes, like Bob Marley, Willie Nelson, Cheech and Chong. A pot leaf is more than just a picture of a drug; it is a symbol that connects people to a lifestyle.

The birth and development of weed culture is not purely a result of the drug's temporarily mind-altering effects - it's enticing because it's illegal. People try pot because they aren't supposed to, and when they realize how much they like it, they continue to use it in the face of its illegality. By nature, humans are tempted to do what isn't allowed. It's this natural rebelliousness that makes smoking weed such an adventurous endeavor for many people, and it's that rebellious feeling that all pot smokers share. Cultures are based on sharing. Therefore, legal weed means cultural breakdown.

Imagine a world where pot becomes the cultural equivalent of smoking cigarettes, something that is done, or not done, but cultureless either way. Imagine how humorless, dramaless and boring the TV show Weeds would be without the unrelenting threat of legal action. Imagine a world where an organization like NORML suddenly becomes quite abnormal because it has nothing left to fight for. When the battle is over, the soldiers go home.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Central Florida Future
Copyright: 2008 Central Florida Future
Website: Legalizing marijuana will ruin a great culture - Opinions

This guy probably never spent time in jail.

That is the most uninformed stupid thing I have ever read. You think we should keep arresting people and spending $30,000 a year (per a person) to keep non violent marijuana smokers in jail, so that pot culture will still be hip to you. The whole problem with our government is that we have people like you in it. If you are not a senator you should run, because I think you would be a perfect candidate. If I ever meet you in person I am going to kick you in the shin.

By the way, go to Amsterdam and tell me their pot culture is no longer interesting, or hip, or whatever crap you are trying to achieve.

That is the most uninformed stupid thing I have ever read. You think we should keep arresting people and spending $30,000 a year (per a person) to keep non violent marijuana smokers in jail, so that pot culture will still be hip to you. The whole problem with our government is that we have people like you in it. If you are not a senator you should run, because I think you would be a perfect candidate. If I ever meet you in person I am going to kick you in the shin.

who are you talking to? :hmmmm:

Sorry, brother.

Personally, I love the cannabis culture as it is now, but I think legalization would really expand it. There are plenty of smokers who are afraid to let others know that they smoke out of fear of getting in trouble with the law, plus, there are those who aren't afraid to let people know. With cannabis being legalized, there would be no worry of prosecution, and it would be more accepted by the general public. People who never smoked before because they believed the propaganda and were weary of its illegality would likely try it. In general, I think our culture would be embraced by a much wider margin of people.

I wonder because most of the people who smoke marijuana probably should not and there are so many that should and never have.

It's a personal choice and shouldn't be dictated by the government or anyone else. What percentage of people that smoke it do you think shouldn't? Is it just smoking it or any sort of ingestion that bothers you? :thedoubletake:

I think everyone should experience marijuana...you know?

:smokin:

I guess I choose my friends carefully. I really don't want to control someone else's life. If I don't like to be around him then I won't be. I'd rather him acting like a rooster on pot than some of the legal choices, though.

And I don't think everyone should experience pot. There is a lot to be said about a pure clean heart unadulterated by the influences of this world. If someone has no desire to use Cannabis, I will love that person for who they are.:peace:

Great reading, but you forgot the part about breaking down your door and putting you in jail. I think all drugs should be legal if someone falls off the wagon take care of them. Don't put them in jail while the presidents wife has to go to rehab over booze.

Back
Top Bottom