Lemon OG Candy Philosopher Seeds From Cannapot

I do get my fair share of criticism when I talk about PGRs
This is because PGR's, while they do work, are for ornamental plants and not plants intended for human consumption. They have been shown to cause cancer in humans and, I believe, have been outlawed in California (which outlaws everything!) and some other states.

This is because PGR's, while they do work, are for ornamental plants and not plants intended for human consumption. They have been shown to cause cancer in humans and, I believe, have been outlawed in California (which outlaws everything!) and some other states.

I literally got verbally punched in the face last night for this, but I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. That said, you got a link to studies showing that PGRs cause cancer and are for ornamental plants? HERE is the thread on PGRs where the misunderstanding took place. To be clear, I am not looking to offend anybody's beliefs or question the sanctity of organic growing, I am just seeking information.

I literally got verbally punched in the face last night for this, but I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. That said, you got a link to studies showing that PGRs cause cancer and are for ornamental plants? HERE is the thread on PGRs where the misunderstanding took place. To be clear, I am not looking to offend anybody's beliefs or question the sanctity of organic growing, I am just seeking information.
Sure...I actually posted this a long time ago when another member didn't believe me. The product that was in question is called "Bushmaster" by Humboldt County....I'll find the info ASAP and repost it here. BTW, Bushmaster and other Plant Growth Regulators do exactly what they claim - they just come with purported health risks. Standby!

This is from a post I had made back in 2011!

The issue is that the California Dept. of Agriculture did a "Specialty Fertilizer Report" and their lab tests found 271PPM of PCZ in their sample, so it was banned from sale in CA, but it is still available over the Internet and in other states who may not have conducted their own tests, or have different guidelines.

These types of PGR's (Plant Growth Restrictors) are often used in plants NOT intended for consuption, and I know growers who are aware of the issue and continue to use BushMaster. But, I personally, would not want any of that stuff in ANY meds I'm using for personal use, and, although I don't supply anyone but myself, I definately wouldn't feel right putting it on buds I'm gonna give to others, either.

Just my humble opinion! :Namaste:

I had the articles on this but, now when I search for "Bushmaster" being banned, all I get is info on the firearm! :rolleyes:

Here are California "Quarantine & Removal From Sale" notices for more than two dozen different products with PGR's (including Bushmaster) sold to the Cannabis industry

This is a good article that discusses BOTH sides of the issue:

What Are PGR's and Why Are They In My Weed?

Health conscious smokers have recently made themselves aware of the dangers behind the use plant growth regulators, or PGR’s. Growers use these chemicals, sometimes unknowingly, to promote the short, stocky growth that’s favorable indoors. It’s time to take a closer look at what these compounds are, where they are found, what they do, and their history of agricultural use other than cannabis.

Despite healthier growth and increased resistance to fungus, pot grown using PGR’s often has an inferior flavor and visual appearance, and the harshest critics point out that exposure to these compounds put consumers at risk of liver damage, cancer and infertility. These damning claims warrant further investigation of the safety of these chemicals on cannabis.
Plant growth regulators, more aptly named “plant growth retardants,” are commercially available in a variety of brand names, and the most common active ingredients are: ancymidol, chlormequat chloride, daminozide, ethephon, flurprimidol, paclobutrazol and uniconazole. Ancymidol, flurprimidol, paclobutrazol and uniconazole are all structurally similar and suppress gibberellin, a natural growth hormone that lengthens cells in the stem. Daminozide and chlormequat chloride also suppress gibberellin at different stages in its biosynthesis. Ethephon is the only PGR that works in a different mode of action; plants uptake ethephon and convert it into ethylene, which in turn suppresses cell elongation and reduces apical dominance. Cannabis exposed to PGR’s grows shorter and more uniform with denser flower that have an abundance of orange hairs and poor flavor.
The two compounds of concern in the cannabis world are paclobutrazol and daminozide. These chemicals were found as unlisted, unregistered ingredients in the following cannabis fertilizers: Bushmaster, Gravity, Flower Dragon, TopLoad, PhosphoLoad and BushLoad. Most of these fertilizers have been banned in California mainly due to the fact that the PGR’s were not listed in the bottle, a requirement by law.
All of the additives listed above are approved for use plants not destined for consumption. Just look around, do you think those super markets poinsettia displayed during the holidays naturally grow all at the same height? What about trees growing under power lines, do you really think pruning is the only thing keeping them so manicured at the same height? Plant growth retardants keep synthetic ecosystems like parks and golf courses in check for the sake of reducing maintenance costs and improving aesthetic appearance.
In addition to their use in ornamental plants, some compounds like paclobutrazol are actually approved for use in apples, mangos, avocados, cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli. For tree crops, paclobutrazol makes shorter trees that are easier to trim and harvest while increasing resistance to harmful fungus. In the case of broccoli and cabbage, paclobutrazol is approved as a seed treatment only.
What about the safety profile of paclobutrazol? Studies done in lab mice show that paclobutrazol is toxic to the liver at high doses, but does not increase the risk of cancer, is not genotoxic and does not cause reproductive or developmental harm. In all instances, the studies performed on mice used exposures to paclobutrazol at concentrations far above those present in agricultural products when used correctly. Paclobutrazol is only indicated for use after the harvest of a crop so farmers don’t apply on the fruit. More potent than its competitors, paclobutrazol induces a response in plants at very low concentrations. Researchers have not been able to study the effects of small concentrations of paclobutrazol on the general population and may still present a danger to the public.
Daminozide, on the other, has a more colorful history. One of the first plant growth retardants/ pesticides available on the market, daminozide was approved for use in 1963. In 1989 the Environmental Protection Agency cancelled the use of daminozide on crops for food citing studies that found it probably causes cancer, putting consumers at a risk of 45 in one million. After Meryl Streep testified in Congress and a 60 Minutes special aired on CBS about the dangers of Alar, the nation went into a panic. The agri-business responded with a swift public relations campaign against alarmism, and reports say Walter Cronkite was paid $25,000 by an industry-sponsored organization to narrate a pro-pesticide, anti-“alarmist” documentary called Big Fears, Little Risks. Despite the backlash, daminozide remains banned for use on food crops to this day. Paclobutrazol sees more usage than daminozide because of its higher potency.
The cannabis world has seen a replay of the so-called “Alar scare” of 1989, but this time the truth is already out there. HIGH TIMES doesn’t approve the use of PGR’s on cannabis. These compounds are dangerous in high doses, and have untold effects at low, chronic amounts long-term. Growers should not have to fear that their nutrients could contain these chemicals, meaning the cannabis fertilizer industry needs a regulatory body to prevent the addition of unlisted, illegal and toxic ingredients.

Another good article:

Plant Growth Regulators (PGRs) in Weed: What You NEED to Know!
The shocking truth about PGRs in cannabis

Marijuana Break Staff / Updated on January 22, 2019

Plant_Growth_Regulator_s-min.jpg

In a way, it is pretty shocking what we put into our bodies without full knowledge of where products come from. When you go to a dispensary, how much do you know about the manner in which the weed was grown? Who is the grower? Where was the marijuana grown? Did they use chemical fertilizers or grow the cannabis naturally? If you are using cannabis oil, was it extracted via a clean extraction process? And so on.
Unfortunately, it seems as if we have another question to add: Were your buds treated with Plant Growth Regulators (PGRs)? If the buds you hold in your hand are extremely dense, consist of brown hairs, and have little in the way of discernible scent, there is a very good chance that your marijuana has been exposed to PGRs.

What Are Plant Growth Regulators?
Frankly, the name sounds ominous; anything that ‘regulates’ natural growth is normally filled with harmful chemicals! According to the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), PGRs are any substance or mixture of substances which boost or slow down the rate of growth/maturation of plants through physiological action, or otherwise change the natural behavior of plants and their produce.
PGRs, widely used in agricultural farming on crops including peppers and eggplants, are a group of chemicals designed to increase the yield of crops, reduce fruit drop frequency, and manipulate the development of the crops and the quality of storage. PGRs are often known as Plant Growth Retardants and interfere with the hormonal pathways of plants.
PGRs impact phytohormones which play a major role in a plant’s growth and development. These hormones are naturally regulated through environmental cues, receptors, and a plant’s genome. There are five major plant hormone classes:
  • Gibberellin
  • Auxin
  • Cytokinin
  • Ethylene
  • Abscisic Acid (ABA)
0.png

https://www.humboldtseeds.net/en/blog/plant-growth-regulators-weed/
The helpful chart above shows the impact of each of the five hormones on the development of a plant. Recent research has shown that there are other classes of hormones including Brassinosteroids which regulates a plant’s growth and development, along with its immune system.
Overall, there are chemically derived and naturally derived PGRs. As you can guess, the chemically derived variety interfere with hormone breakdown or else they mimic existing hormones. In marijuana growing, the use of chemically derived PGRs could result in denser growth and greater yields.
It is incorrect to assume that all PGRs are harmful. Natural PGRs such as Chitosan, Triacontanol, and Kelp are in our atmosphere and cause no problems for plants.
Before we delve deeper into the dangers of PGRs, let’s see why they are used in the first place.
Manipulation of Growth Cycles for Greater Yields
There is only one reason for using chemically derived PGRs when growing a marijuana crop: Higher Yields. Fatter buds = more profit, and it is a sad fact that the profit motive causes organizations to overlook pesky things such as health and safety.
In simple terms, PGRs that interfere with the creation of plant hormones prevent or halt growth, while other PGRs will boost growth. In other words, it is possible to activate certain genes to speed up the growth process so that marijuana enters the flowering stage faster. You can also ‘switch off’ genes to ensure plants grow short and stocky. It comes in very handy for growers looking to maximize their growing space.
PGRs boost marijuana yields via cellular expansion through signal transduction pathways. Once growth-stimulating genes become activated, the cells of plants start growing and become larger. The cell’s cytoplasm intakes more water which ends up in the central vacuole of the cell. As water enters the plant’s cell, the water volume of the vacuole increases and the cell walls expands.
Plant cells have greater water retention. The hormone, auxin, is involved in the growth of the cell wall by acidifying it with the aid of expansion proteins. The cell wall is made from cellulose, which increases thanks to auxin. Although your harvest will be heavier, the quality is severely reduced because this extra weight consists of water retention and extra cellulose. In a nutshell: You may have ‘fatter’ buds, but the THC content of your marijuana plants is compromised.

The Dangers of PGRs
By 2020, the global PGR market is likely to have doubled in six years and will be worth $6.4 billion. While a lot of commercial growers are deliberately using PGRs, there are plenty of others who are using them unknowingly. You will find them in growth boosters, nutrients, and vitamin/hormone enhancers.
PGRs were first discovered in the late 1920s and were used in agriculture for over 40 years. They were finally banned for use on consumable food crops in the 1970s and in some nations, PGRs are classified as pesticides.
The infamous Alar scare of 1989 is a clear sign that PGRs should not be used in marijuana. Also known as daminozide, Alar is a manmade chemical that was used for faster maturation of cherries and apples. The FDA approved its use in 1968 after two years of carcinogen testing on rats.
However, in the 1970s, Dr. Bela Toth discovered that Alar had caused tumors in the livers, lungs, kidneys, and blood vessels of mice when used at several times the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) for men. In 1978, the National Cancer Institute released a report which concluded that Alar was a ‘weak’ carcinogen. However, research into unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine (UDMH), Alar’s chemical breakdown product, found a correlation between exposure to the chemicals and cancerous tumors in lab animals.
In 1984 and 1987, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), classified it as a probable human carcinogen, and banned Alar for use in U.S. food crops in 1989, although it was still permitted in non-food crops. The entire scandal is estimated to have cost the United States apple industry approximately $100 million, so we don’t expect marijuana growers who use PGRs to go quietly into the dark night.
Paclobutrazol (PBZ) is another commonly used PGR and is a real problem in Australia apparently. It is another plant growth retardant that binds to enzymes crucial to the weed growing process. PBZ inhibits the terpene synthase enzyme which creates a blockage of sorts between the terpene synthesis and THC synthase pathways.
Ultimately, PBZ reduces a hemp plant’s ability to produce THC, which means those CBD products you are using can also contain PGRs. PBZ also inhibits the development of terpenes, which is why hemp grown using it has no real smell. Buds treated with this chemical are normally very hard and covered in thick hairs that are also entangled. Combustion of PBZ results in the compound breaking down into nitrosamines, which happen to be one of the most carcinogenic compounds in cigarettes! Side effects include infertility in men and liver damage.
Chlormequat chloride is another potentially harmful PGR and is an approved pesticide in the European Union. It increases crop yields but is now known as an ‘extremely hazardous’ substance in the United States. Studies on mammals have found that it could cause liver damage.
Uniconazole increases root system size, and it is prohibited in certain states. Although it hasn’t been studied as extensively as other PGRs, the available research suggests it is even more harmful than PBZ. Side effects include irregular respiration and liver toxicity.
PGRs Are Bad for The Environment
It appears as if residual PGRs in soil and water can also cause serious damage to fish and waterways. It is also a sad fact that a soil’s microorganism diversity is negatively impacted by PGRs. As you know, chemical fertilizer run-off is destroying our rivers, and the same is true with PGRs.
PGRs have been described as being analogous to athletes using performance-enhancing drugs such as anabolic steroids. While the athlete benefits from faster recovery and greater muscle growth, there are serious side effects involved such as cardiovascular damage. A bodybuilder could look as powerful as a stallion on the outside, but internally, his body could be at breaking point. This is why we hear reports of competitive bodybuilders dropping dead from heart attacks before the age of 50.
Likewise, marijuana plants treated with PGRs may look good in terms of size, they are disguising a weak product.
How Do I Know If My Weed Was Treated with PGRs?
It is important to question the source of your marijuana, even if you purchase it from a reputable dispensary. Look for extremely hard buds covered in brown hairs with a lack of visible trichomes and scent. One thing you will notice is that the marijuana looks ‘ugly.’ Dark and dull buds with dense brown hairs are NOT aesthetically pleasing!
Once you have a little bit of cannabis knowledge, you will learn to differentiate the thick-stemmed dark PGR weed from organically grown weed that is colorful and filled with life.

Final Thoughts on PGRs
It is important to remember that not ALL PGRs are bad. There are several naturally occurring PGRs capable of boosting a marijuana plant’s genetic potential. Chitosan, for example, is an organic molecule derived from chitin. It is found in a crustacean’s exoskeleton, and NASA is currently experimenting with it to see if it can help plant growth in space. Triacontanol is another natural growth stimulant which could increase yields rapidly.
One thing worth mentioning is that studies which showed the harmful effects of PGR typically involved enormous amounts that you are unlikely to consume in a lifetime. One of the Alar studies (on UDMH) for instance, involved anywhere from 133,000 to 266,000 times the highest estimate for a preschooler’s daily amount of UDMH consumed when eating an apple!
It is also worth noting that for every study which shows the harm caused by PGRs, there is at least one more that finds minimal impact on human health. You could argue that consuming PGR laden weed is no more dangerous than eating junk food. This may come as some comfort to British readers since PBZ is allowed in the growth of cherry, pear, apple, and plum trees!
In reality, the threat posed by PGRs may be overblown, but it is nonetheless something we need to take seriously. Whenever possible, we recommend only using organically grown marijuana.

I stand by my quote from 2011! :Namaste:

I'm still reading the "What are PGRs" link and so far, the language used is very speculative. To label test subject as "plant growth retardants" kind of sets the mood and subsequent interpretation of the reader to a side of the argument being made. Kinda like saying if you're against infanticide, you hate all women. I will do my best to filter out leading language as I am genuinely interested in the observations to growth, and which which product w/o labeling something as a PGR just to demonize it, or as if to say Hitler was a human that murdered 6 million Jews, so therefore all humans are evils murderers.

Thanks for the links Krip!

The two compounds of concern in the cannabis world are paclobutrazol and daminozide. These chemicals were found as unlisted, unregistered ingredients in the following cannabis fertilizers[2]: Bushmaster, Gravity, Flower Dragon, TopLoad, PhosphoLoad and BushLoad. Most of these fertilizers have been banned in California mainly due to the fact that the PGR’s were not listed in the bottle, a requirement by law.

Sorry StoneOtter for the off topics, but this next quote really disturbed me. Why would they test a plant hormone on mice using amplified doses on the mouse? People are sick!

What about the safety profile of paclobutrazol? Studies done in lab mice show that paclobutrazol is toxic to the liver at high doses, but does not increase the risk of cancer, is not genotoxic and does not cause reproductive or developmental harm. In all instances, the studies performed on mice used exposures to paclobutrazol at concentrations far above those present in agricultural products when used correctly.

Today is 14 days since flip. Entering week 3 is fine by me. I can't wait to defoliate some. These things are thick and I may cull some leaves before the stretch is a full halt. 2 or 3 days I think. The tall one is starting to yellow her bottom leaves especially the ones I messed up testing and let her get to dry. She doesn't need much.
The other ones are losing a few perfectly good green leaves. I never had that before. I wonder if being crowded has anything to do with that? Otherwise all ahead full speed. Tall one is 6 feet and wants all the space. It's interesting how they grow. This weeks progress.

Hey Otter, It's gonna be a full house in there that's for sure! :yummy::bravo: That one plant front left is looking like she wants to shoot through the roof :rofl:

How Do I Know If My Weed Was Treated with PGRs?
It is important to question the source of your marijuana, even if you purchase it from a reputable dispensary. Look for extremely hard buds covered in brown hairs with a lack of visible trichomes and scent. One thing you will notice is that the marijuana looks ‘ugly.’ Dark and dull buds with dense brown hairs are NOT aesthetically pleasing!
Once you have a little bit of cannabis knowledge, you will learn to differentiate the thick-stemmed dark PGR weed from organically grown weed that is colorful and filled with life.

The above is all I need to hear for now. I'm mostly interested in everything PGR treatment makes disappear.

I believe you hit it on the head with the basic recipe. He said the same thing about it hitting extremely hard. That's one reason I have to wait to experiment. I'm going to need a press and won't be having one for a while. Something to look forward to.
You are welcome to bring stuff over and use my press brother. All I ask is you buy the bags used for pressing. We could probably press out an ounce in an hour or so.

Back
Top Bottom