Lemon Skunk and Durban Poison Info - Please

take2hikes

Hi everyone. I'm currently vegging some Lemon Skunk and Durban poison. They are all an average of 10-12 inches tall now. I'm looking for people who have any knowledge/experience with this strain.

I'm curious how these react to topping, and if well - when the proper height to do this is. I'm not sure how tall they get well into flower. I am just finishing up some Super Skunk and they went into flower at about 3 feet tall, and more than doubled.. really causing some issues once the buds started to get heavy.

I'm looking for max yields, and to be honest aside from one or two times I've always topped.

Thanks guys!

.t2h

Re: Lemon Skunk and Durban Poison Info (Please)

Hey friend! I'm going to send a buddy by your way with some info on the Lemon Skunk... He loves the strain. His handle is OldMedMan..

I'd love to know about your origins of the Durban Poison you are growing... Like, seedbreeder? If its from a collective or dispensary it's cool... We don't have them where I live though! This is a strain I'm very interested in growing.

Hi everyone. I'm currently vegging some Lemon Skunk and Durban poison. They are all an average of 10-12 inches tall now. I'm looking for people who have any knowledge/experience with this strain.

I'm curious how these react to topping, and if well - when the proper height to do this is. I'm not sure how tall they get well into flower. I am just finishing up some Super Skunk and they went into flower at about 3 feet tall, and more than doubled.. really causing some issues once the buds started to get heavy.

I'm looking for max yields, and to be honest aside from one or two times I've always topped.

Thanks guys!

.t2h

Hi take2hikes:cheesygrinsmiley:

Lemon Skunk is a vigorous plant and jumps like crazy in flower. If she is two feet tall going into flower, she will be 4 to 6 feet tall.

Topping is one way to stop this. In fact you can top her tops again. There is a another method called FIMing that you can use too. It will keep her low and make even more tops. She will turn into a big bush. It is a low stress training method. If you want more info, let me know and I will post a picture so you can see what I'm talking about. By the way I love Lemon Skunk. Been growing her for years. Nice to met you!

I'd go with OMM's suggestion of FIM'ing.. You can really control height, and it recovers quicker than traditional topping.
If you FIM enough... From what I've viewed... A plant with many tops will not stretch so drastically in flower.

Hope it goes well! Peace!

Thanks guys. I've had quite a bit of experience with topping, but I've never FIM'd. While I know how to do it, another picture/diagram would be great.

To answer another posters question, these are plants I got from clones. I live here in Colorado, so I am legal (legal as you can be as it's always grey). That being said the clones were definitely NOT in good shape. They came with spider mites and were very weak, but most had at least 1-3 roots showing out of the rock wool cubes. I expected to loose at least 5, probably more like 8 - but ended up not losing any. About the second week I tried a suggestion of feeding them Rizotonic (Canna product) and I also foliar fed them with that. In a matter of days I was seeing that they were a little healthier. After that, I decided to abandon my old nutrient method and went purely to Canna. I figured It would save me money in the long run by not having to buy more clones if they were saved. Since then I've continued the foliar feeding and treatment with Mighty Wash and they've gone from literally 2-3" runts for the first couple weeks to pretty healthy 10-12" plants. This whole ordeal has actually urged me enough to purchase some seeds though, and I should be getting some Liberty Haze soon. I plan on starting a couple mothers and cloning myself with that. I'm sure I'll have questions down the road, but I think I've gotten some pretty good advice.

Sorry, that was a bit winded. But, considering these plants' 'rough' upbringing, I was just debating when to top them - as I want them to be healthy as possible. But it is getting to the point where they are healthy and I'm just wondering if it will positively increase my yields, or if it might be best to leave this round as-is. As long as the plant doesn't get over 6', I'll be good.

I am also growing a lemon skunk. I have topped her several times and she is quite the bush so OMM is definitely right about that. If you check out my journal, you can see pics of her. Right now since I just moved she is stressed the hell out right now. I like how she bushes out when topped, like you I have never fimed so I don't know how she would respond to that. But if I were you, I would check out OMM's journal with his lemon skunk. Good luck and good growing.

The one fortunate thing about these clones is they are all single main shoots. Usually I get them and they are pretty much already topped. I usually cut down past the first set of leaf branches, but I've seen a lot of people just topping the very FIRST new shoot coming up. What is your guys' practices with this? I have read that further topping after the initial one can lead to an inconvenient harvest because of all the smaller buds instead of one or two main ones. My theory here is that those smaller buds are going to get more light so theoretically should get a bigger yield from them. I wonder if anyone has ever done an experiment with the exact same strain and compared yield to a topped plant to a similarly sized un-topped one?

I will probably top them and try to get as much surface area up top with no branches going outward as I am doing this all indoors. I use tomato cages to keep them at bay. Growing 40 plants in a confined area can be pretty challenging when they get further into flowering. Because they are rather small currently I think I am going to try and just cut the first shoot on each of them, and then I will probably top those shoots in another week or two; unless someone here advises against topping this high up on the plant.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it! Still hoping to get some weighing in on the Durban Poison..

Cool! Cuttings! :)

I got cuttings myself... They were of bad quality too. No dispensaries over here, so we... Deal even grey-er here ;) I'm legal though.
Once they recovered it was rocking... Glad you turned your cuttings around!

Here is chart for both FIMing and TOPing.

Topping31.jpg

If you need help...let me know. :Namaste:

Next time I FIM one I will try to get some pictures for you. There is some in my gallery, but I can't find them.:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom