Let me introduce myself

58apache

I grew up in Southern California in the 60's and 70's, and in high school I was part of the group known as the stoners, even though I didn't smoke pot or anything else at that time, I just like the people in the stoners group, plus they were the most fun to be around. They liked me because I was never high and could keep a look out during breaks.

Anyway, until now, I have probably smoked weed, (or whatever the current popular name for Marijuana is these days), about seven or eight time is my lifetime, I'm 52 now. More and more I think pot would be the best way to just relax, take the edge of, and simply deal with the anxiety I feel sometimes. Since it is not legal to buy or sell, even for medical use, I would like to grow my own, after I get a prescription or medical recommendation from my doctor. The medical Marijuana laws here in Maryland are pretty whack, basically a catch-22. You can legal use Marijuana for medical reasons, as prescribed or recommended by a doctor, but it is not legal to buy or sell it for any reason. The law pretty much says that if you have a legitimate medical need to use Marijuana and have the appropriate recommendation from your doctor, you can use it, and if caught your fine is limited to a max of something like $100.00. So the best way I can think to get pot for my own use, without buy it, since that is still illegal in Maryland, is to grow it, even though that is illegal too, I figure I am least likely to be caught if I grow my own.

OK, this is supposed to be an introduction, but instead I've been rambling on about why I want to use pot, and how I would like to go about doing that. So I'll just complete introducing myself, and save the rest for the appropriate forum here on 420.

I was born on Louisville, KY, but grew up in Southern California - mostly Long Beach, but when I was younger I lived in Garden Grove and Santa Ana for about five years. Lots of fond memories from growing up in California.

I joined the Air Force in 1976, lived in Spain for three years, got married in Spain to a Spanish girl. I got out of the Air Force in 1979, my Spanish wife divorced me, I served as her ticket to the U.S. basically), and I moved to Houston, TX. I lived in Houston from 1979 to 1993, gt married to my current wife in 1984. I moved to the DC area at the end of 1993, which is where I live now. I am a consultant for "things hi-tech", mostly high speed WAN technology for the past four years.

I am looking for advice on the type of seeds I should plant to provide me with a small crop that will yield a good personal supply for my own use, I'm just looking for a type of pot that is strong enough to take the edge of from the daily grind, not looking to get seriously stoned, and preferably something that will have a long lasting effect.

I'm definetely a newbie at this, so I can use a lot of advice:

- What size area will I need to set aside, inside, for growing my own pot?

- What lights are recommended?

- Is their a way to create a reliable automatic watering system?

- Is it recommended to clip the plants to cause them to create a thicker growth? (Kind of like certain flower plants where clipping flower buds will cause them to grow more flower buds.)

- I do plan to read everything I can find on this, but the good thing about his site is that there is a lot of good information available, the not-so-good thing about this site is that there is a lot of good information available. So any help sifting through it all so I can get started would be a big, big help.

:slide::peace:

58apache (Named after my custom 1958 Chevy Apache Pick-up)

hey man its hard to give really good advice on here because we all try to stay anonymous. We alleviate this with pictures and videos but still, it is important to be very careful with what you post on these forums.
Lets start over and this time describe the space you have available to grow. Is it hidden? who will know about this? where will you keep and smoke the finished product? Indoors or outdoors? If indoors are you prepared to spend at LEAST $200? I would like to help because I believe it keeps my problem solving sharp.

CK

Hey ClarkKent,

Thank you for the quick reply. I certainly understand the need to keep a low profile, especially considering the current mix of laws around the country, like here in Maryland.

The space I am considering using is inside, about 22'X32', but I may not use the whole space if I don't need to. I want to avoid any significant increase in my electrical bill, if possible. There are windows, but I can easily black them out if needed. I have heat and air conditioning installed, but the space is currently unfinished on the inside, i.e. not insulation, no sheetrock. If needed I can finish the interior with insulation and sheetrock, especially if needed to better control the environment. Basically I will know about it, and my wife would know about it. I was planning to smoke the product in my basement home theater, or perhaps my shop. I honestly have not given any thought as to where I will store or keep the finished product. I don't know if it needs to be kept humid like tobaco, and if it needs to be kept at a certain temperature. When yo asked if I was willing to spend at least $200, were you referring to a cost associated with smoking it indoors, or the cost to grow indoors. I have considered various cost that I can think of, such as the grow lights, wiring, watering system,growing containers/planting boxes, and associated electrical cost; which I hope is the only real continuing monthly cost associated with growing my own.

A smaller alternative indoor growing area is in my basement, I have a space that is 10' X 10', and is already easy to hide, has AC/heat, is insulated and has running water and drainage easily available. Also, plenty of available outlets for the grow lights, etc.

I need to re-read the medical Marijuana laws for Maryland, but I believe growing your own, and using it only for myself, with the recommendation from a doctor, would be the only way to stay within State laws.

Do you happen to know if the grow lights are long wave or short wave UV light, UV-A or UV-B, or some other catagory of UV? I guess another way to ask is; can the lights give you a sun burn, and does it take more than twenty minutes of exposure to get a burn? It's my understanding that UV-A takes longer, but penetrates the skin deeper, and UV-B is more limited to the surface, but burns much faster. As I write this I realize that for plants it is most likely a broader spectrum of UV, closer to natural sunlight. I actually have one 4' UV-A light fixture with two 4' tubes.

Thank you again for reaching out to help me get started.

58apache

:ciao: 58apache! Thank you for the wonderful introduction. :clap: Wow you grew up in prime SO CALI. at a Prime time. Skateboarding, Bmx, in the beginnings of Punk rock, :hmmmm: Right? We are here to help you, you can help yourself too by reading and searching this great site...420 :nomo: Start here,... How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know. Than check out all the great growers here on 420,... Journals in Progress - 420 Magazine. Make sure to look at the best of November,..420 Contests - 420 Magazine. Once again it was a pleasure to hear your story. :welcome: to the family, Make yourself at home and lets grow some Cannabis! See you in the forums and the Greenest Regards. :peace:

Wow, Thank for the warm welcome. Yep, my time in California while growing up was during a really great time. The end of the love and peace movement, that peak of the great social movements to end the war in Vietnam, and efforts to end racial discrimination, and bring equal rights. I remember it all very clearly. It was also a time of prosperity, and great social experimenting. As a teen I remember on Friday and Saturday nights, driving the streets of Long Beach, Lakewood, various places in Orange county, and other parts of LA County, just looking for parties. It was really great. I don't think that really happens that way anymore.

I remember riding my bike to the beach during the summer and body surfing all day. It was a great time.

So now I find myself reaching back for one aspect of that time, at least for me, for a way to curb pain, and even just relax.

Thank you very much for the links, I will definitely read the material provided there.

Sincerely,

58apache

Wow, Thank for the warm welcome. Yep, my time in California while growing up was during a really great time. The end of the love and peace movement, that peak of the great social movements to end the war in Vietnam, and efforts to end racial discrimination, and bring equal rights. I was pre & early teens then, but I remember it all very clearly. It was also a time of prosperity, and great social experimenting. As a teen I remember on Friday and Saturday nights, driving the streets of Long Beach, Lakewood, various places in Orange county, and other parts of LA County, just looking for parties. You could typically just show up at a neighborhood party, bring your own, ow get drinks from others. It was really great. I don't think that really happens that way anymore.

I remember riding my bike to the beach during the summer and body surfing all day. It was a great time.

So now I find myself reaching back for one aspect of that time, at least for me, for a way to curb pain, and even just relax.

Thank you very much for the links, I will definitely read the material provided there.

Sincerely,

58apache

awesome dude! Honestly I would go with the space downstairs, you dont have to use all of it but it would be better than trying to work in less than a 2x3 space.

The cost I meant towards lights, soil, nutrients that kind of thing. I would get a cheap switchable light.

I would spend a little extra dough and get an air cooled reflector. having both HPS and MH will really help you get the max out of your stuff. If this is just for you and maybe your wife I would say you shouldn't need over 4 plants, so this 400 watt should be just a little more than enough (perfect :))

Fox Farm Ocean Forest is my favorite soil to grow in. Especially good for MJ plants and the preferred soil of a TON of people on here.

keep asking questions!

Back
Top Bottom