Letter to Senator

Thepurplem0nkey

Ok, this is a rough draft I typed up of a letter I am sending to Senator Feinstein and enator Boxer of California. E V E R Y S I N G L E med pot patient on this board, if you care about your rights, aught to write up a letter to your congressmen/women. DO not sit silent!

Dear Senator
I am writing to you because I feel a grave injustice has been committed in our country, and you are the only avenue I have left to hope for change. You have helped me in the past, and I am hoping you can help me now. I voted for you, and continue to support you with my votes, and sincerely hope you read this letter and consider this issue.
In November of 2004, my 85 year old grandfather became very ill. His weight plummeted to a mere 75 pounds, he had no appetite whatsoever and refused to eat, and became so weak and disorientated he collapsed several times before being rushed to the hospital. When he was examined at the hospital, it was revealed that he had colon cancer, and that if he didn't have immediate surgery, he would die within the month. Surrounded by his wife, his daughter, and his grandchildren, and knowing this might be the last time he ever saw any of us, he agreed to the surgery.
Against all odds, my grandfather survived the surgery, but was still in a very fragile sate. He spent the next 3 months in the hospital, and another 3 months in a rehabilitation facility. This was an extremely difficult time for my family, because even though my grandfather had undergone surgery to remove his cancer, he still was wasting away; a living skeleton. During his 6 month recuperation, his weight continued to drop. Despite a regiment of medications to entice appetite, he insisted that the food had no taste, and that he had no appetite. He would refuse to eat anything more than a nibble of anything we gave him, and whatever he put into his mouth would not taste right to him. His entire family could do nothing but sit by and watch this once proud man waste away.
When we began to prepare to say our goodbyes to my grandfather, a friend approached me with a controversial suggestion. He informed me that in the state of California, marijuana was made legal for medicinal purposes, and could be legally obtained for use with sick and dying patients. After some research on the subject, I decided hat I would approach my grandfather about this alternative medicine, and see if he would be interested in trying it. After all, we had tried every other prescribed solution that was available, and nothing was working. I could not stand by and watch my grandfather die of starvation if there was the possibility that another treatment, no matter how "controversial", would work. I discussed the issue with my grandfathers Doctor, who recommended that my grandfather try medical marijuana, as he also agreed that nothing else was working for my grandfathers appetite and weight loss.
The day I decided to pursue this alternative form of treatment was the day my grandfather's life was saved. Because my grandfather is much too old and fragile to be inhaling burning smoke into his lungs, I began administering a marijuana tincture, just 4 drops from a dropper. A marijuana tincture is alcohol or oil, which has had marijuana distilled in it. The alcohol/oil breaks down the psychoactive chemicals (THC) and retains all of the medicinal benefits of the marijuana plant, without having the contamination of organic plant matter to worry about. Once drained and filtered, the remaining liquid has all the medicinal benefits that the plant had without the need to inhale harmful smoke. Using this method, my grandfather began to show signs of improvement immediately. He displayed no signs of intoxication, and he only way we knew the medication was working was his smile and his appetite, which had returned. Over the next 3 months, my grandfather gained all of his weight back that he had lost, and then some. He now weighs 135 pounds, a staggering weight gain in such a short amount of time.
My grandfather is not a criminal. In fact, he is a hero. My grandfather served in World War 2 in the pacific theatre as a jungle fighter behind enemy lines. He was a member of the infamous "Merrill's Marauders", and fought long and hard for this country. He worked hard all his life and provided for his family. He was and still is a good man. Yet according to the federal government, and a recent ruling by the Supreme Court, my grandfather is nothing more than a common, low life criminal. In fact, if the FBI or any other federal government agency so decided, they could come into my grandfathers house, arrest him, and haul him off to jail for the incredibly evil tasks of taking a harmless medication that is the only thing that is keeping my grandfather alive. This is a terrible injustice to a man who gave so much to this country. California has decided to be the leader in compassion and sanity. We voted that we don't want our sick and suffering to be without a medication that has been used for thousands of years. We voted that it is inhumane to lock someone away for relieving their pain in the privacy of their homes. The recent Supreme Court decision has destroyed that. The players behind this "anti medical marijuana" platform claim medical marijuana is simply for those who wish to legalize all drugs and that furthermore, medical marijuana has no medical benefits whatsoever.
Senator < >, I implore you to investigate this matter. Anyone with just a little bit of common sense can see the truth. My grandfather has neither desire nor inclination to legalize all drugs. The thought hasn't even entered his mind. His only motive for using medical marijuana is to stimulate his appetite and help him live. Pleases do all that is in your power to protect my grandfather, and every other medical marijuana patient in this great state of ours. Please do al you can to protect them from arrest and harassment. My grandfather has done nothing wrong, he has no malicious intent, and I think its wrong and outrageous that he should have to worry about federal arrest. Please, please, PLEASE do something about this.

great letter,make sure to make this change

"I decided hat I would approach my grandfather about this a"....should be "that" instead of hat.

and if the police would really arrest and 85 y/o man for not even smoking marijuana but using a tincture,well thats just inhumane and sick

Or even more tragic, his grandson gets arrested purchasing his grandfathers medicine. The family then has an ailing seinor without his medicine, and their youngest member in jail. Thanks for the corrections, I'll change the errors ;-)
-PM

Thats a very heartfelt letter, and just by reading this, you have convinced me to write to my own senator.

Very nice letter. The story of you helping your grandfather is very touching... I do hope and pray that this country gets their act together and make MMJ legal.

Please do keep us updated on your grandfather and of what response you receive from the senator.

Thanks

Thats a very heartfelt letter, and just by reading this, you have convinced me to write to my own senator.
Awesome, I'm very glad to hear that.
I thought I'd mention that Senator Feinstein, one of my states seantors, helped me out in the past when I wrote a letter to her. Despite my degenerative corneal disease, the army kept me in limbo by not discharging me, but rather kept me on medical code for almost two whole years. I was shuffled through unbelieveable bullshit..."lost files", lack of communicatoin among the ranks, etc. Anyway, when I almost ran a few soldiers over when ordered to drive a hum vee at night (my disease makes me night blind, something I had told my commander countless times), I decided I had had enough, and went over everyones head and wrote to my senator. She opened up a congressional inquiry and I had Captiains, Majors, and a few Colniels calling my house, extremely pissed off, requesting information regarding my medical issue because they had a congresoinal inquiry sitting on their desk.
This event showed me that writing letters to your elected officials does get things done. It's much more effettive to do that, at any rate, than to do NOTHING.
-PM

My mission from God continues.. thanks for all the letter writing. :adore:

Well, I'm on a jet plane to Hawaii Saturday.. se ya! :peace:

Back
Top Bottom