Light change at transition

dlchobbes

Hi, I hope someone has the answer to this question.

The first 4 weeks of my grow I used an overhead lamp with a 600 Watt Metal Halide bulb and 4 four foot long T5's at 54 watts. The next 8 weeks will be spent using a 600 watt HPS (high pressure sodium?) bulb overhead and my question is: Can I still use the T5's or should I switch them out as well? And if so, what should replace the T5's?
Thanks.
Dave

I would think that the 600 Watt HPS is fine by itself. I'm currently growing in a 4'x4' space with just a 600W HPS and things are looking good. If you do keep the T5's it'd probably be a good idea to switch to Bloom Spectrum bulbs. Have you thought about starting a journal? Check mine out. Link in my signature. If you start a journal with pics I'm sure other memebers will be glad to offer suggestions.

Yup Calyx Hunter is correct you can use the T5 with the 600 hps for flowering but you would need the spectrum to be 3000K or less. My fav would be the sunblaster bulbs the T5 HO(high output) for flowering the kelvin is at 2700K which is excellent! but like Calyx Hunter said 600 HPS is good enough. I have a 3" x 3" x 5.5" tent and have a 600 hps it is all i need for flowering :D

Your setup sounds like you'll be able to really fill up a space with bud. On a light supplementation side note, I just saw a video on here about a guy who scientifically dissects the trichome and how THC and Cannabinoids are produced. In it he essentially says that high quality THC and CBD's need Ultraviolet Light and UVB to be produced. I love science. I'm going to add an experiment to my grow. I just bought a 10.0 UVB Reptile CFL. I'm going to put this in a corner of my tent to add some UVB to a small area and see if it does anything.

My space is a small room I built myself in my basement, 6' tall (barely) 6' long and 5' wide. i have an 8 pot/bateau Hydroponic system with a 600 watt hps bulb over (at this stage) and 4 4' HO T5's on the walls at about 30". The side fluorescents are a new addition (Only my third crop) and the results are very impressive. I have plant at 4 weeks with quite sturdy stalks, dense foliage and vigorous growth (I raise the overhead a chain link a day, sometimes two. Links are about 1 1/4" each, it's not some anchor chain.) I'd be very interested in hearing how your reptile lights work out.

Cannabinoids are a defense mechanism that the plant creates to protect itself from predators. While the addition of UV:B does (in some strains) increase the amount of trics produced, it is not the only process that is happening. Be very careful with the amount of UV:B that you add because it can and will create plant morphology, and not always in a good way. Limit your addition to less than 7% of total lux for the area you are adding it to.

As I follow threads down this most interesting rabbit hole, I read that taking the glass out of the reflector will introduce UV:B

Back
Top Bottom