Light Question

CubsRule420

I want to do my own personal grow this time. I have the option to use 2 different lights and I am looking for people's input on this.

1. 150 Watt HPS Light
2. 160 Watt 4 bulb High Output T5 Flourescents

What are your thoughts on which bulb to use? I personally love the flourescent. Technically that is the light I own. The HPS light is basically on loan till I don't want it but it is still not really mine. Any thoughts on which one? Please elaborate. I know the HPS is real small and I know the flourescent isn't much larger, but I need some more informed help than what I have already posted. Thank You VERY MUCH!

^^Yep - exactly what Akornpatch said. More Lumens = More buds...

If there is room in your space, you can use both..

Peace
MC

I need to keep the wattage down and my friend is taking the other light to his place. I just get to pick which I want to use.

Alrighty then...I am doing a little research on the two lights I have:

A) the flourescents

bwgs.com(on main page if you scroll down)

Sunleaves Pioneer IV Grow and Bloom units operate on 216 watts and measure 47"x15"x2 3/4”. The
four-tube grow fixture emits 16,800 lumens while the bloom fixture emits 17,600 lumens.

b) the HPS bulb

bulbs.com

Philips 150W, Mogul Screw Base, ED-23 1/2 Ceramalux™ High Pressure Sodium Lamp, 2100K Color, (dia. 2 15/16", length 7 3/4"), Sold Individually

General Information
Ordering Code C150S55/ALTO
Product Number 368746
Energy Used 150 Watts
Volts 55

Bulb Shape ED-23 1/2
Base Mogul (E39)
Diameter (in) 2.938
Length (in) 7.750
Average Rated Life (hr) 24,000
Light Output 16,000 Lumens

CRI 21
Color Temperature (Kelvin) 2100K
Common Cross-References
GE: 44043 - LU150/55
Osram Sylvania: 67516 - LU150/55
Additional Information

From this I would understand that the flourescents would be the way to go. Being they have the higher lumen output. would you techincally be able to bud on the same light fixture as the grow assuming that they gave me the beginning stage bulbs instead of the blooming stage.

(Edited for links to non-sponsor sites. - akorn)

CubsRule420 said:
From this I would understand that the flourescents would be the way to go. Being they have the higher lumen output. would you techincally be able to bud on the same light fixture as the grow assuming that they gave me the beginning stage bulbs instead of the blooming stage.

Actually no...

Fluoro - 17,600 lumens at 215 watts = 81.9 lumens/watt
HPS - 16,000 lumens at 150 watts = 106.7 lumens per watt

Yes you can use the same light thru-out, but the "grow bulb" has even lower lumens per watt.

I'd use the HPS for the whole grow if I could only have one light.

Sounds like a plan. I am just worried about the heat being put off by the light and if it may get to close in the end. The room will start to heat up in the summer and I am not sure that I will be able to find a safe and suffiecient way to cool the room. I am going to be growing in a small area.

it is slanted and 58 inches is the top. id say probally 40 inches from the bottom of the light to the floor. i could just do the sog method and tie all it back i guess to keep it low... can u do angle grows with the HID? i know flouros on the box say you can grow side ways or whatever. my room is in the rafters.
the dimensions are 58'' high at the tallest point and slopes down to about 18'' high with a 58'' width to this room and is 8 foot long. ill post pics later...

Back
Top Bottom