Light questions

gbrebory420

i have 4 4' red and blue spectrum flourescent lights and a 250w output hps light i have 14 plants about 2' tall still in veg they are growing fine now but is this amount of light going to be enough to flower or will i have to get rid of the flourescents and get more hps?

You will need more light to get good bud production.I'm guessing you have a 6ft x 6ft or larger area?So thats 18 square feet.A single 1000w hps will give you 55.5 watts per foot.Two 600w hps or three 400hps will give you 66.6 watts per foot.Four 250w hps give you 55.5watts. The 400 and 600 wattage lamps would give you better coverage of your growing area.You will be able to have the lights closer with less heat and energy cost.The 250w hps dont have enough intensity to grow productive plants over three feet tall.

if you grow with metal halide and then hook up an hps light will that start the bud cycle or is changing the light cycle the only thing that can do that

if you grow with metal halide and then hook up an hps light will that start the bud cycle or is changing the light cycle the only thing that can do that

A 12/12 light/dark schedule is what is used to enduce flowering.

Furthurmore, a ballast intended to take MH lamps will not run just any HPS bulb you put into it. You need what is called a conversion bulb and these don't run as efficiently and can cost more then standard bulbs. Switchable ballasts are best as the user can select MH or HPS mode and use the corresponding standard bulb of the proper wattage.

For 12 plants I would use a single 1000w HPS system or two 600w HPS systems to cover all. You can use what you have now, but your results will improve tenfold with higher wattage lights. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom