Light Rail Users- How would you set up this space?

Which lighting option would you choose on a light rail?

• Single 1000 watt HPS

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Two 430 watt HPS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 420 Nation,
Thanks for checking this thread and voting! Your suggestions, ideas and experience are greatly appreciated! I'm in brainstorming mode on this right now so I need all the input I can get.

Here's the scenario

The floor plan is 3.5' x 5' of bloom space. You need 875 watts of lighting to reach the 50 watt per sqare foot ratio. Plant sizes will be 25-36 inches tall.
Your options for lighting the space are either two 430 watt HPS lights or a single 1000 watt lamp.
You also have two 6 rpm light rail motors with 18' of track to work with. You do not have an add a light kit and you only have one cool tube reflector right now so you would need to buy the kit + another reflector if you want to use the 430s.
You have plenty of air cooling power for either application
Other supplemental lights you have on hand are two 90 watt UFO leds and 96 watts of T5 HO lighting.

How would you prefer to light the space?

Another option could be running a single 600 watt lamp down the length of the garden while using the leds and T5 as supplemental lighting.

If you're thinking about a different reflector, I would definately suggest an Adust-A-Wing. I recently put one in my flowering room, and I like it better than anything else I used before. I'm using it with 1 600w HPS Hortilux bulb on a light mover to illuminate a 4 x 8 area. I planned on upgrading it to a 1000w HPS , but since I found out that the hood is set up so that you add a 2nd bulb, I decided to go with dual 600w bulbs instead. Luckily I already have an extra ballast. The socket is on order from my local hydro store, and I hope to have it all in place by the end of the week.
Another nice thing about the Adust-A-Wing/light mover combo is how close you can keep the light above the plant. I have had the bulb just 6" or so above the plant tops with no burning or heat issues. Key point here is to make sure you have air blowing around to dissapate heat and to keep the ambient temp in the room down. I have a 16" oscillating fan set on low that comes on with the light. I figure I may have to raise the light a bit when I add the 2nd bulb, but I'll keep a close eye on things and adjust as needed.

Here's a link to their website.

Adjust-A-Wings :: Super-Spreader :: lighting for indoor plant growth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom