Light snobs

MidnightMann

So I've been a member for a while and browse site daily and I've noticed what you may call light shamers or snobs. The poster can be asking a multitude of questions, how's my plant look? What bugs , tent setup or how many plants and it seems like it's always the same culprits who reply with "dunno bro can't tell with that BLURPLE" and I roll my eyes. I know there are full spectrum lights they bestow the white glow of heaven but they are hella expensive and not in everyone's price range. We all started somewhere and many of us used these red spectrum lights to produce beautiful plants . So let's just take a minute to remember that before we start every comment with " errr BLURPLE brosif" thx
PS. I know it's harder to determine something's under a non white light but it shouldn't come off as a put down.

I don’t think the issue is snobbery because the person is using blurples. I just walk away when I see a person asking for help with their leaf issues, and then they post a photo that looks like the inside of the core of a nuclear reactor.
It’s totally ridiculous- there’s no way to see what’s going on with the plant.

Take your photos without the blurple light on.

It's no different than pics under HPS that are all yellow

It's near impossible to see any deficiency under Red, Blue, Yellow lights

I don't believe anyone, especially me, intends it as a put down on the lights peeps use, some great blurple lights out there

No different than asking what's wrong with my leaves and not giving any info regarding your grow

It's all relative to the situation

The most helpful people youll ever meet are on this site, but we do need info to do it

Again as I said I acknowledge that it's hard to identify issues under a colored light , so politely asking for pictures under normal light is understandable but mentioning the color of a posters light pink,red, purple,blue whatever in every post is the snobbery to me because it seems to being mentioned as a diffenceny or a put down." Ohhh the BLURPLE is hurting me eyes "

I guess that's your opinion

And yes, the blurple does hurt a lot of people eyes, that's a fact

And again I gurantee no one is putting down the light, they are commenting on the blurple/HPS light on and being unable to see diddly on the plant

I even created a thread about it

Lol

It does hurt my eyes. Honestly I do find the blurple pics a bit offensive in that context and I’m not totally sure why. I guess partly because by the time I’ve read through someone’s post, thinking I’m going to help them with their issues, then I come to this
I dunno- feels like I’m putting more effort into it than they are.

It is unfortunate for people that post shit pics (blurple just the worst offender) because like weasel, myself and others we get tired of repeating ourselves for years so we just hit the back button and look a different thread instead of sharing knowledge. Yes people use the term blurple more than yellow light because it do hurt the eyes and is by far the hardest light to see anything under.

N I see the problem with that plant weasel.....it's being abducted by aliens!

I dunno- feels like I’m putting more effort into it than they are.

Think that's exactly it

Can't even count how many times I hit back and move on

It gets frustrating and it is very hard on the eyes

Funny thing, I'd say 95% laugh and say sorry and fix the pics when we point it out

If you think pictures like that are "painful" to the average person, try being color blind for about five minutes :rolleyes: .

Just like in any situation, much of what "comes off as a put down" is due to the perception of the listener/reader. As for the rest, that small part that may actually be, well... It probably wasn't. The first 32,768 or so times someone posted about it. But shit gets old. You're not living in a vacuum and, therefore, you're not the first person we've ever had to explain this to. Among other things, some folks are probably wishing that there was more reading going on. IDK.

If you CBA to turn off the blurple for ten seconds in order to take a lifelike photo, then who's really the asshole here?

If the first step in helping someone is always "Hey, can you take some new pictures using the camera's flash, a desk lamp, a hurricane lantern, or the light from a 98-year old's birthday cake candles so that we have at least a .0000001% chance of seeing what the problem is?" then, well, sometimes there's going to be a little bit of frustration evident. I mean... If you walk into a doctor's office, complain of an open sore on your left side, but refuse to unbutton your ankle-length trench coat so that he can examine you, there's a real high probability that you're going to piss the person off - and you're PAYING them (FFS!).

And we really do want to help people here - and we're not making boot in doing so - which causes the frustration to rise.

As for white light being "hella expensive and not in everyone's price range," I could give the same reply that my brother used to give me when I was a stupid kid pestering him to break down and sell me a quarter-ounce (he didn't usually sell less than a lid, and a QP was preferable), he refused so I went out and bought some cheap crap and was out the next day or the day after that. Which was, "Save your money and use your head to buy something decent tomorrow instead of blowing it on the first thing that what you have TODAY will purchase."

But it'd probably be more... politic to point out that companies like Mars-Hydro are now selling the SP-150, SP-250, TS-1000, and other "mostly white light" products at pretty reasonable prices (in the neighborhood of a dollar per watt). There may be cheaper products than that in the marketplace that provide a comparable spectrum, IDK.

But if you cannot afford even those, cannot afford a small HID setup (HPS lighting is capable of producing the same harvests that it produced 20+ years ago :rolleyes: ), and can't or won't repurpose a 400-watt metal halide or high pressure sodium "utility" light that can often be found for sale on Craigslist for $25, well, that's your own business. I'm poor, too, so I understand both the lack of money and how... (can someone help me out here and give me a politically-correct term for the act of feeling... less than genius-level intelligent, please?) you feel when you belatedly realize that you've spent your money on... that, instead saving your money and adding to it as and when you can to purchase a high-quality item, you've instead blown it on something less and are now feeling a bit butt-hurt because some folks are looking at you and shaking their heads.

It happens. Being poor often means buying cheap shit. That's... Well, it's a big part of why we're still poor, probably.

Here's some good news, though: The light from an open window is FREE. If nothing else presents itself, and you want to post a picture that garners "ooos and ahs" instead of people asking you to turn the ^*@&ing blurple off, try dragging your plant near a window next time. Most especially if, instead of just wanting pats on the back at what you've accomplished, you're actually trying to get people - who aren't there in person and, again, who provide help out of the kindness of their heart instead of for some kind of remuneration - to diagnose a problem that said plant is experiencing.

Er... IMHO, of course. Do what you want (others will presumably be doing what they want, too).

I see the problem with that plant...it's being abducted by aliens!

Thanks! I might cut and paste this answer in -unless the thread title is something like-

‘Help! My plant got abducted by aliens!!’

It'd still be appropriate ;).

Sometimes I am all for shaming a poster. When I come to a thread that says in big bold letters "HELP" and the rest of the post says " please help, can someone tell me what's wrong with my plants?" And then have a blurple picture to show us.....
First of all, they were flat out lazy! When you go to the section of the forum to type a question about asking for help what do they see in a BIG BOLD STICKY??? The answer is a big post that says "How to ask for grow support".
They not only totally ignore that but give little to no information and a shitty picture on top of it.
IMO, those posts should be treated the same as all the Chinese Spam posts that we see from time to time. Those posts should be reported and removed for not following simple instructions on how to use the forum.

Now, I ask you, what's worse? Totally ignoring a new members post because they didnt follow instructions? Then they may think nobody here sees it or dont care to help. Or tell them where they screwed up and refer them to the "how to ask for grow support" page and come back and fill out all of the details and add some pictures that aren't blurple?

If those new members that are that lazy get "snapped on" just a tad then maybe, just maybe they will know better next time and also, tell other new members down the road the same.

I'm not shaming anyones lights when I do it. I'm simply pissed off because they pit in zero effort and want help while being lazy.
The last member that I tried to help had 1 single sentance in his post that said "help, can you tell me what's wrong"....Then 1 purple picture. So. I got on his shit for being lazy be referring him to the "how to ask" sticky and the purple pic. I told him of hes 90% lazy while asking for help he will get a 10% correct diagnosis. I told home to read that post and come back with all of the details the how to sticky says to add......GUESD WHAT ANSWER I GOT BACK FROM THE POSTER? "Sorry, I'm just in a hurry!" Then he added 2 details about the grow. Soil and water were the 2 details!
Some lazy asses need shamed because if they are that lazy they will never become valuable forum members anyways so if they leave who really gives a shit? But, those that stay and take the advice given will usually become a decent grower and a valuable member and maybe someday be able to help others out.

So, long story short. I dont shame them because of what light they are using, I will shame them on the lack of motivation and common sense they put into the post.

Tell us,what ya,REALLY think ladies....
Bwahahaha....
Toutured Soul, Fanleaf....harsh, but fair.
Truth hurts sometimes....
like finding out Santa,doesnt bring Buds...... Almost killed me....

Blurples- eye do say....

Wow, and I was concerned that my response might have been a little... not harsh, but in the same universe.

Tell us,what ya,REALLY think ladies....
Bwahahaha....
Toutured Soul, Fanleaf....harsh, but fair.
Truth hurts sometimes....
like finding out Santa,doesnt bring Buds...... Almost killed me....

Blurples- eye do say....
Sometimes that "harsh but fair" gets me into spats in the forum lol. I guess, I dont plan to ever be nominated member of the month because I say what I'm thinking most of the time :rofl::cheesygrinsmiley:
I just think we are all adults here (for the most part) and we dont always have to make sure everything comes out sugar coated. Perhaps I get a little blunt sometimes, maybe that's why I choose to only have very few friends in real life too.

By the way, I think the new accepted "PC" way for dealing with someone's (real or perceived) shortcomings is no longer to come right out and tell them. Seems like the new thing is to use that passive-aggressive stuff instead so they end up simmering all day long instead of being able to properly respond... and then going home and kicking their cat across the room.

Me, I like cats - so I'd rather just come straight out and tell you ;) . If you don't agree, let me know (I can be - and often enough, am - wrong).

I've been told that "suck it up, snowflake" is now no longer an appropriate response to a whiner, either. I'm guessing that happened when people stopped enrolling their kids in little league baseball and peewee league football and, instead, forced them to go play soccer (where everyone gets a ribbon, even if they just sat in the grass and ate bugs).

Back
Top Bottom