Light Soil vs Coco

HigherTheHigh

Has anyone ever done a comparison grow between the two?

I've always been told soil isn't the greatest for yield however it helps massively with taste, I've grown once in soil but I don't think I benefited properly as at the time I was having to move the plants in and out of grow rooms with bags over them.

So my question is if I mixed a light soil mix with perlite would I be able to treat it like coco?

I only ever grow in scrogs from now on so would the yield still be the same or different?

The reason I ask is I had read somewhere on this forum that it can be made similar for watering schedules and I can't for the love of growing find it again, I just thought if I could feed the soil the same amount of water or near as I do in coco then in theory that would make the yield similar?

I'm planning on using Mega Crop, Sweet & Calmag.

Any help would be great, I could test it but I'd prefer to see if anyone had already experimented.

Hey Higher,

What’s up dude? Seen you around a bit but never shouted out before. Answer is probably not...

Never done the comparison. I’m a soil grower & I don’t do coco but my understanding is that coco needs feed / water each day.

However a soil grow will do much better if you stretch the wet / dry cycle extensively between waterings. Fill a same size empty pot with the same soil mix, use lift the pot method to determine when she’s as light as a feather and wait for leaves to droop down or show slight wilt, then water her down good. When plants are vegging continue to exploit wet dry cycle each week - but in flower mode keep her soil moist at all times.

You probably know the repot or upcan thing but just in case..... Soil grows do much better starting in small container like 20 ounce cup. After a few weeks slide the cup off & check rootball. 3 metrics to watch here 1) If outside of rootball is completely covered in tiny white roots and 2) the leaves extend beyond edges of cup and last but most important 3) if the plant is healthy as fuck and needs to be watered every day then it’s rootbound and time to upcan to a larger container. Don’t transplant or upcan a weak plant, it’s not ready & can stall out, wait until she’s the picture of health. Also at time of upcan take a sharp sterile knife & gently score or cut the sides of the rootball at 4 places around the outside edge, this encourages the roots to take over the new container. This is an old plant nursery trick used for shrubs & fruit trees and it works well.

Start in 20 ounce cup and when she’s rootbound like above then at first upcan jump to a 1 gallon container. Then grow that 1 gallon out until she’s rootbound again just like above and jump into 5 gallons (or larger is even better) for final container. After upcan to final container, leave her there for 3 weeks to build out her roots then flip to flower.

In veg mode she will grow roots freely, when it’s bone dry she spits out fine tiny root hairs to search for moisture.... but In flower mode she doesn’t grow new roots but uses existing roots to support demands of flower cycle.

If you build a giant rootball in veg, that rootball should deliver you some nice flowers.

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it!

Cheers!

I've always been told soil isn't the greatest for yield however it helps massively with taste, I've grown once in soil but I don't think I benefited properly as at the time I was having to move the plants in and out of grow rooms with bags over them.

So my question is if I mixed a light soil mix with perlite would I be able to treat it like coco?

I only ever grow in scrogs from now on so would the yield still be the same or different?

The reason I ask is I had read somewhere on this forum that it can be made similar for watering schedules and I can't for the love of growing find it again, I just thought if I could feed the soil the same amount of water or near as I do in coco then in theory that would make the yield similar?

I'm planning on using Mega Crop, Sweet & Calmag.

Any help would be great, I could test it but I'd prefer to see if anyone had already experimented.
I've never done a comparison, but I've tried both, and prefer a good soil. So the short answer is no, you can't treat it like coco, but, you can add more perlite so you have to water more. You still have to have a dry period between watering/feeding, so the roots dry out a little, but you'll be watering more often.

I've always been told soil isn't the greatest for yield however it helps massively with taste
As for yield, it depends on strain and growing style. I grow in soil and can get well over 20 zips per 2 plant scrog, have gotten as much as 30 something from 2 plants, in soil, again depends on the strain, but have done a single lollipop of my own cross and received 14 zips from a single plant

Back
Top Bottom