Lighting Controlled By Temperature Instead Of Timer?

PTSd

I've been trying to coordinate my light schedule to take advantage of the cooler parts of the day so as not to cook my plants. They are Auto Fems, so I'd like to give them as many bright hours light as possible the entire grow.

Had an idea to use my (home-brewing) thermostatic controlled outlet to turn the lights on anytime the cabinet is below 86F. Any time the temp hits 86 the lights go off and do not come back on until the cabinet drops below, say, 82F.

Sound logical?

Nope, it doesn't to me. Though I'm not sure how the autos will react to what amounts to a lot of short days and nights. I do think it would be more logical to invest in a better ventilation setup.

They Auto-Fem's, and from what I've read on the Internet (so it's gotta be true, right? ) as long as I'm not switching the lights on/off and stressing them, they are not likely to go Hermie on me. Once I got the set-up installed, I made some finer adjustment to arrive at the right set-points, everything is working out nicely.

The plants are getting 18 to 20 hours of uninterrupted lights-on depending on the particular day.

Once the temp hits 86F (during the peak heat of the day) it'll shut off, and they get a solid 4 to 6 hours of uninterrupted darkness before clicking back on once the temps drop below 82 again.

Not sure about autos, but I'd be concerned with photoperiod stress. Plants have a biological clock and like to wake up at the same time every day.

I was thinking the same thing so over this weekend I put the temp-control as a second layer behind the timer, so now I've got everything running on 18/6 (off from 12 to 6 pm) while the lights are on. And should the temp ever climb above 86F, they will click off and cool down. 3 days and it hasn't shut off once due to temp. during the lights-on period.

Watch for twisting leaves and 3-4 bladed leaves.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom