Lighting Debate

mistakeith1

I thought I had my mind made up...but I'm thinking deeply into this next grow and seemed to be questioning this again.:smokin:

CFLs or HPS?

All I'm questioning is power usage...not using too much but overloading my breaker with the way I'm running my closet. (this is why I havent ordered my HPS light yet)

My space is a little less than 4 square feet with a usable height of about 4 feet.

On my first grow I used:
2x soft white 42 watt CFL's (2700 lumens each)
2x 27 watt CFL's (1300 lumens each)
2x 20 watt CFL (1200 lumens)

Which is 178 watts total. If I got a 150 watt HPS I should be okay with power being relatively similar....I think.

Let me know some opinions on this situation. I can't decide for myself...

Also about the HPS...it has the ballast, can that be put anywhere? How hot does it get?

Thanks for the help my fellow 420's!:thanks:

There is never a clear answer to this but here is what i think:
CFL's are nice for 1)budget 2)efficiency 3)heat
HPS are nice for 1) intensity 2) quality 3) tight buds

but i'm sure you know that.
In terms of the ballast i would keep it on a shelf above the light itself, making sure not to expose it to any water. Or even better keep it in a separate room entirely. Hope this helps im a bit too medicated to concentrate on the post. Peace m8.

Thanks for the info:cool:

I have a shelf at the very top of my space I can squeeze the ballast in.

On the efficiency...how much more inefficient will a 150 watt HPS be compared to 178 watts of CFLS?

Just wonderin on the difference between....:smokin:

With a HPS lamp vs. CFL's of the same total watts used, you get twice the light or lumens using HPS lamps. Heat can be a factor in a small space, CFL's can be placed closer to plants.

Back
Top Bottom