Lighting Question

Stoned Redneck

i have 2 plants on a piece of plywood2 1/2 -3 foot across.i put a "lazy susan" kind of thing underneeth it so i can turn them around as needed.it works great for spot inspections and just easy access.my concern is by turning it around alot am i messing with there growth pattern? its like when you turn your plant when its leaning towards the light too much,then it will straighten itself out. right? so if i am moving the plants around too much they never know witch way to grow towards the light.i hope this makes sence. or if i would just turn them once a week or something.then they can grow in one direction for a while before i turn then.....or am i just worrying waaaaaaay to much? happy trails,todd

Re: What are common mistakes made by first time growers?

my concern is by turning it around alot am i messing with there growth pattern?

How a lot? Unless you're talking several (as in many) RPM I wouldn't be concerned. And if you are... That would, perhaps, be an interesting experiment at least.

so if i am moving the plants around too much they never know witch way to grow towards the light.

They "know."

or am i just worrying waaaaaaay to much?

:grinjoint:

Ever see a light-mover? It moves slowly - but over the course of a day it would do its thing many times.

hey T.S.i turn them around once a day,or every other day.also what about carpenter ants? they seem unconcerned with the plants.i am slowly killing them off as we speak, so hopefully it will be a non issue soon.c ya,todd

My concern with the ants is that where you have ants you usually have aphids. The ants treat them like cattle. They even milk them. Aphids will treat your plants like a convention of fat chicks treat the salad bar at Shoney's. (No offense to the fat chicks out there, but I've seen a group of you attack a salad bar and the girl who was stocking the thing couldn't keep up. Half of us got refunds, lol.

But anyway... Although not a fan of chemical pesticides, I have used Terro for ants that are attracted to sweet-baits and for them it works very well. If you notice more than just a few swarmers (winged ants) then you might well have a large infestation. They don't eat wood like termites do but bore into it for nests which can do some structural damage if it's a large colony. If that is the case than I'd get some boric acid (I have seen it marketed as "Roach Proof") granules and sprinkle it around. Actually, if it's a LARGE colony I'd break out the diazinon. But I wouldn't unless there is need.

your right but some things every garden needs. theres alot of weedless sand piles out there. i guess i just wanted to share something i thought was really important. i should just mind my own garden. gary000056

i am using that terro gell right now. wow if that stuff will kill them then they are all DEAD!! they drank that stuff like no tommorow..they looked like nursing kittens or something.i poured a line of it and they drank it up and wanted more!! sure guys take all you want.... ha ha so hopefully there days are over.i have never seen aphids, but i get spider mites off and on.and do them in with the pest strip... take care,t

go get em mellow redneck, i poison every year around the yard but this is the first i've heard maraijana drawing ants. i have a small very old green house that came with my house and keep it up. thanks for alerting me about the ant problem, i'm learning every time i log on. peonies and a few other flowers draw them too,but in there case they need them. but i'll take your advice and keep and eye open. when i used wood for heat ants got into every thing as the wood got warm, no mercy for ants. gary

Hi there, I personally got nothing worth commenting about. I'm still waiting for my first plant to mature. I think the drying is going to be the big test. If I had any advise it would be to first read forum rules. It could be millions of people from every walk of life around the world reading and judging every word you write, also don't comment till you have read every thead and every helpful hint. Have a couple of plants make it all the way including drying and smoking. These people are serious and know what their doing. I'm sorry if I in any way have weaked your fire of excitment. If I can be of any help I will. But honistly I'm still in my first grow. Everything is looking up. Mistakes , I've made many. Slowly I'm getting it, but this is a big deal and just cause I can afford a few seeds and read the thead, at the end of my day I'm just waiting like you my new friend to see if I'm getting it right or starting over. I really hate sounding so down it must be all the cloudy days here in Michigan. Any way good luck and read every thing you can in threads. Read what Tortured Soul has to say and you will learn a lot about how things work, Red neck all so has valuable info at least for me it made a big differance in how I roll. Lots of luck and I hope you find what your looking for! Good hunting, Gary000056

Hi mello redneck, Nice to hear from you, and I will up date my journel with your info. I got my own wars with slow growth, cool days and lack of experiance. But I'm a Michigander and I wount give up. Better days always follow the gloom. Today Tv says Higher temps and more sun. Atleast I got the old green house for light, It's the temps I would like mother nature to tweek a little. The green house amps up the heat so I got alot of fans blowing the air around at or above 75degrees. On cooler days I ease up and just keep a lttle outside air circulating low blow. I have to be carful what I wish for It never works out(for me). With global warming coming maybe you and me will be on the new equater line( not funny).There's ecco terrorism in the gulf and we as a country are to broke to push stupid BP out of the way and just stop the leak with gravity and simple engineering. Enough complaining, I think we are all frustrated with stupid big money trying to push the thier weight around just because they can! Good luck in Washington and only the best wishs from the great lake state. Sincerely,Gary

hey Gary,what we lack in experiance we have to use our blind determation to keep going.you mention "slow growth" ,check out some mushroom compost.it really got my gang going.i read in George somethings book that the best grows he has seen were in mushroom compost,so i went with that and so far so good.to look at it it sure has lots of "stuff" in there...aside from the "benificial mites". i totaly agree with you about our worlds problems.i told my kids(theyer in there late 20's) "we can't solve the world's problems,but we can better our circle of family and friends by helping and surporting each other..,and that in turn will help us all in the long run" Amen? so be strong and "Happy Hemping" c ya,Todd

i told my kids(theyer in there late 20's) "we can't solve the world's problems,but we can better our circle of family and friends by helping and surporting each other..,and that in turn will help us all in the long run" Amen? so be strong and "Happy Hemping" c ya,Todd

Unfortunately, we are passed the point where simply taking care of our own is enough. Things happening in other locations can ultimately do us all in. Activism is important. And NOT just about cannabis.

yes Activism is important very important,but that will only go so far. "they"are going to do what "they "think is best for all of us...sad but true....i have protested and spoke out against wrong doing for 40 some years off and on.it wore me out. aside from small acts of "Activism" as needed, i will stick to my plan of "taking care of my own"... and using the mushroom compost for my plants.(just to try and apear on track)its good that we can all speak our mind.....take care,todd

Hi to both of you and greenest regards to you and your families. I have to take a middle road and that I Write the President everyday (if that dose any good). Check this out " president@messages.whitehouse.gov" is where I send my complaints every day. Some times I get a short auto message back, but it breaks my heart to see this happening needlessly to America. I gota change this tone I'm starting to get up set with so many ignorant people. So where did mello redneck get mushroom dirt. I been using 50/50 Scotts top soil and Miracale Grow. So far so good. I don't want to disturb my last survivors from there pots. I finally got warm weather and thier jumping. I'm truly sorry for dagging this out, other stuff out but I think we can do both watch over our children, grandchildren and voice our opinion. I do every day and some time more then once. The President said he wants the truth, but he needs to look for answers in the right place's. God save us all from our self!! Sincerely Gary

Amen Gary,Amen....thank you for "steping up to the plate" and doing your part.....i too can not understand how "they "are alowwed to drag this on,God help us from our selfs ,says it all.thank you again Gary.....now on a lighter note.when i started my first grow(last september) i used Ace potting soil and added mirical grow powder after the clones were astblished. i have a friend who swore by MG,but now he was growing outside..well my grow didn't grow at all. from what i have read mg dosn't work indoors very well.do a search on mirical grow? (spelling) and see what comes up.... so after reading about mushroom compost i went with that.i added a 2 inch layer on top of my 2 original plants and straight mushroom soil (plus a little doimite lime to help the ph)for my 10 cuttings i have going.the 2 old girls are doing ok, better after the topping but still could do much better...,i fianally let them got to buds after 9 months of dragging them along. but the "kids" are doing great...i found the mushroom soil at a local top soil place.they sell crushed rock,peat moss and the like.find a mushroom farm and ask about there left overs.i have read that they have to let it set for 2 years to "cool off"before they sell it. so hope that helps you.i will try again to post pictures,but seem to have a hard time doing it. so have fun "old man"haha and try and enjoy the good things around us.oh ps i had to quit watching the news as it really put me in a bad funk.its like "they" like to drag the the bad news in our face....so i watch the simpsons instead.we will hear any big news as it happens.so anyway hang on ,happy hemping and God Bless your efforts and keep your calls a goiing.i will send some as well and thanks for the insight too. sorry ,i know i have been "off subject" but its a huge problem we all have too deal with. hang on ,todd

Thank you Todd, I should not get involved by shooting my mouth off about people who in a wimb could take away life as my wife and I know it. And if I had One good thing and one thing only come from speaking out, that would be to get a few people to write e-mails to President Obama and ask him to settle his diferrances with N.A.S.A. and put some cedibility back on his side. I mean who don't trust N.A.S.A. and thier advice... On a lighter note, Todd do you ever use miracle grow fertillizer. If so how often. Also I planted 10 doggie nuts seeds at diferent times different ways with no germination. What a waste of money. That was my highest price seed. When I first planted sharksbreath with in three days they riped up the soil, the same with coletrain train. I planted the same way and I've suffered heavy loses to basic mastakes but still all my seeds tried to do there job. Have you ever planted doggy nuts and had a problem. Thank you, any input is appreciated . "GOD bless" Sincerely, Gary

hello gary,i don't use m.g.it seemed to have messed mt 2 starts up and it took months to get them back on track.and from what others have said about it i only use it outside on the house plants...i use "fox farm"fertilizers.theres one called "grow big"and one called "big bloom" .they seem to do good if you don't over do it(like i did at first).i use it on every other watering and then not at full streangth,its easy to O.D......haven't heard of "doggy nuts". i got 2 starts and then got cuttings off them. i'm up to 13 plants now..once i get things figured out i plan on getting a seed or two,but for now i have enough to keep me busy.on a side note my wife and i watched "its complicated" last night.if you want to see steve martin and meryl streep getting stoned for the first time in 27 years....i haven't laughed that hard in a long time.very funny and being that they smoked weed, i'm not too far "off subject".so hang on and remember "a merry heart does good like a medicine". keep smilin,todd

Thank you Todd, I take your advice very seriuosly and will change directions as best I can. Looks like I'm off to the video rental store in the next couple of days. I'm easy to please and look forward to entertaining my wife of 38 yrs when ever I can, so I'll try that DVD and let you know latter. CATCH YA on the high side. Green Regards Gary

boy gary, thank you for the complaments, but i too am just stumblin through my "first grow" and can only hope my advice can help anyone. but i am sure you will laugh at that movie.i have only been married 32 years so you got me beat there.anyway, happy trails and enjoy the warm weather,it fiannly got up to 65 today... c ya,todd

little_guys_004.jpg

hello, well i took the time to figure out "photo re-size" so i can (i hope)post some pictures,here goes

Back
Top Bottom