Lighting Question

Mrmetfan

I bought a 2x2 hydro farm silver grow tent. When asking a light recommendation for this space ( I plan on growing 4 plants at a time) a guy at the garden center ordered me 400 watt combo Mh and Hps. Is this too much for a small tent ? I know u guys probably hate answering dumb questions but please help I'm panicking. I realize I still need to get some fans and I definetly want a filter hooked up to the ducts for smell. Please any feed back would be appreciated

There are several past grows with same set up....sounds like you will be fine in a 2x2 no problem.

Check around in the grow journal section...I bet you find some with similar size and light to check out.

I think you will be fine in that tent and light
I use 1200 wt (2x600 in air cooled hoods)in a space 34inch deep x 5ft wide by 7tf tall

use a sealed tube/hood and temps remain within range

did you're hydro guy sell you a sun master?? 4 plants maybe a bit much in that space

Thanks guys for the replays. It is a sun master. Maybe I'll upgrade to the 4x2. Because my 2x2 is still in the box. I wanna be able to grow at least 4 plants. Maybe even 5 but I know that's it. And I'll check out the journals too. I'm new to the sight so JM still lurking around. Pretty sure I read 400 watt is strong enough for the 4 by 2 so at least I'll be getting the max out of my light

the sun masters run a little warm,if I remember right, it has a built in ballast/fixture, with 4 inch flanges??

yes if you have the space, get the bigger tent--get some empty pots(what ever gallon will be the final size pot)
measure out 2x2 and 4x2 start lining pots out-will give you an idea of floor space

will you stay with outo's or will you at some point get regular seeds??
plan for the future grows not just this one

the sun masters run a little warm,if I remember right, it has a built in ballast/fixture, with 4 inch flanges??

yes if you have the space, get the bigger tent--get some empty pots(what ever gallon will be the final size pot)
measure out 2x2 and 4x2 start lining pots out-will give you an idea of floor space

will you stay with outo's or will you at some point get regular seeds??

plan for the future grows not just this one

Also about pot spacing, remember your girls will exceed pot diameter 2 or 3 times.

I rarely get girls in flower under 2' wide minimum..

I got the autos because I ordered the seeds thinkimg I was going to have a light hanging from the ceiling. Now that I'm going to have a tent and a decent light I'll def get some regular seeds. I want to get into cloning eventually to save some money. I'm a little ways from that though.

nothing wrong with autos, I have been looking at a 10 pack,10 kinds in 65 days hard to beat for a little variety (still to big a puss to order,lol)

if you need another clone/veg tent look at the diy/walmart-wardrobe, about 60$ to make a tent your size

I got the autos because I ordered the seeds thinkimg I was going to have a light hanging from the ceiling. Now that I'm going to have a tent and a decent light I'll def get some regular seeds. I want to get into cloning eventually to save some money. I'm a little ways from that though.

as crazy as it may sound, I have found making clones to be very easy. way easier than the grow hahahaha.

- musshy

A 400 watt High Pressure Sodium light will cover a 4'x4' area. If you are going to run a 400 watt High Intensity Discharge light in a 2'x2' area make sure to use a cooltube or a air cooled light reflector and a inline fan to remove the heat from your grow area.

here are some lumen versus distance charts, they do not take heat into account

Metal_Halide_chart.jpg

HPS_chart.jpg

High_Intensity_Light_Coverage.jpg

grow-room-light-distances.jpg

HPSGraphPAR.jpg

If you ventilate well you can make it work, however it's a little overboard for a 2x2 space. 250w is more common in these size rooms, while 400w is in 3x3's often.

Of course nothing is set in stone so I am not saying other things are possible or being done.

Most of the time we want about 50w per sq ft. This is one reason I wouldn't use a 400w in a 4x4 space because it isn't quite enough light for that much space.

Back
Top Bottom