Lighting question

Koolkat160

420 Member
So I'm about to start a grow facility build in my 1200 sqft shop and have some lighting questions. I'll have 2 separate grow rooms each 13' X 24' X 9' high. 312 sqft of grow space each. I plan on growing the plants via the SCROG method, I know it's a little more labor intensive but that really interest me. My plan is to cycle grows so I'm harvesting each room at different times, my question is how many lights should I attempt to put in each room, my first thought would be 8 1000w HPS lights but not sure if that's too many or not enough for a room of this size. Will most likely be growing several different strains and want lighting that will work well with all if possible. If this were your room what would you do? Pic of grow facility below.

Thanks,

JB

Grow Room.jpg

Seriously?
If you're going to go HPS, do you have climate control for the rooms because it'll get hot
Going by 50 watts per sq/ft for HPS, you're only looking at 25 watts with 8 lights
You could get away with less watts per sq/ft if you use high efficiency Quantums or COB's
The minimum there is 35 watts sq/ft
You'd need 15 of the HLG550 V2 Rspec to even get close to 30 watts sq/ft
And that's per room :eek:
Do you plan on fully saturating the whole grow space?

Seriously?
If you're going to go HPS, do you have climate control for the rooms because it'll get hot
Going by 50 watts per sq/ft for HPS, you're only looking at 25 watts with 8 lights
You could get away with less watts per sq/ft if you use high efficiency Quantums or COB's
The minimum there is 35 watts sq/ft
You'd need 15 of the HLG550 V2 Rspec to even get close to 30 watts sq/ft
And that's per room :eek:
Do you plan on fully saturating the whole grow space?

This is why I am here.. right now I’m just in the planning stages. My shop Is a raw space so I can design it however it needs to be designed. These are just the preliminary plans I came up with after watching a bunch of grow videos. Nothing is set in stone and I’m very open to advice and recommendations. I would like to flood as much of the grow space as possible. If I need climate conttrol
I’ll add that as well. Just need help designing and selecting the correct equipment.

What's your budget for this?
Are you growing commercially?
600 square feet of growing space is an insanely large area for someone just doing it for a hobby
Hope you're independently wealthy or on friendly terms with your banker
Doing this properly is going to cost an Oligarch's fortune :laughtwo:

First, what’s the goal. Let’s not get caught up in too many questions. Lol I want to be at the top of the stack stunned as I have some input but need to understand the motivation.

I’ve been interested in growing for a long time and now that we can I want to. My plan is to grow commercially and sell to dispensaries and processors. As far as my budget goes I’ll have access to whatever funds I need. Just trying to work up the budget at the moment so I know what I’m looking at. I already own the facility I will be growing in as well as land I could build on if needed. My budget will only be for grow equipment, supplies and the materials to seal and finish the inside of the shop so it’s grow worthy.

First recommendation is take any advice from anyone here and shop it around for agreement/ disagreement because with the space you’re talking about you’ll need several full time staff who have specific tasks and know what exactly what they’re supposed to be doing. You’ll need to workout things like minisplit AC, dehumidifiers, etc.. Your dry room is going to need to be waaaaaaay bigger and you could even
/ should combine that with the denug setup. I’d make your veg room small as shit or just handle that elsewhere. For flower a proven layout is 1000w DE HPS spread in lines over 6 plants (goal being 2-4lbs a light). That’s enough to get the convo started with ppl who really know they’re doing, but do A LOT of homework with ppl who can show you pics of their setups. It’s a whole different animal with the space you’re talking about, so plan with the end in mind.

Before you even consider doing that stuff
I hope your legal representation has their retainer paid up in full
Because you'll need an army of them to guide you through the nightmare of obtaining the proper Canadian credentials and permits to be able to grow commercially.

It took Aurora years and millions to secure their abilty to grow commercially.

First recommendation is take any advice from anyone here and shop it around for agreement/ disagreement because with the space you’re talking about you’ll need several full time staff who have specific tasks and know what exactly what they’re supposed to be doing. You’ll need to workout things like minisplit AC, dehumidifiers, etc.. Your dry room is going to need to be waaaaaaay bigger and you could even
/ should combine that with the denug setup. I’d make your veg room small as shit or just handle that elsewhere. For flower a proven layout is 1000w DE HPS spread in lines over 6 plants (goal being 2-4lbs a light). That’s enough to get the convo started with ppl who really know they’re doing, but do A LOT of homework with ppl who can show you pics of their setups. It’s a whole different animal with the space you’re talking about, so plan with the end in mind.
Exactly the advice I’m looking for! Thanks for your input. Let me ask you this.. would 15 plants per room be too many if I grow in pots via the SCROG method? That’s how many I envisioned would fit into the 300sqft area. I’m not wanting to produce 100 lbs a grow. Not yet anyway..

I wouldn’t base your grow room(s) dimensions on arbitrary numbers. Base them around your light setup, and design room/ plant count around those. Making a veg room the same size as your flower room is a waste of space. But to stunned’s point, figure out the legalities, liabilities, business elements and then reach out to some grow consultants and/ or just hit the phones to some well known growers in CA. They’re surprisingly cool and will share a lot of knowledge with you. What you need to build will look nothing like that design doc you posted.

Before you even consider doing that stuff
I hope your legal representation has their retainer paid up in full
Because you'll need an army of them to guide you through the nightmare of obtaining the proper Canadian credentials and permits to be able to grow commercially.

It took Aurora years and millions to secure their abilty to grow commercially.

Appreciate the advice.. it would be useful if I lived in Canada however I don’t.

I wouldn’t base your grow room(s) dimensions on arbitrary numbers. Base them around your light setup, and design room/ plant count around those. Making a veg room the same size as your flower room is a waste of space. But to stunned’s point, figure out the legalities, liabilities, business elements and then reach out to some grow consultants and/ or just hit the phones to some well known growers in CA. They’re surprisingly cool and will share a lot of knowledge with you. What you need to build will look nothing like that design doc you posted.

I live in Oklahoma, we just legalized medical Cannabis. All I need to grow commercially is a permit which cost $2,500.00 and that’s it. I live in the country in an unincorporated area so I have 0 zoning restrictions. I also have a large family that’s willing to help me work it. Lol..

Do some research on grow room setups from growers like Jungle Boys, Breadfarms, Cannabiotix, and the like. There’s lots of photos of their grows ranging from drain to waste Rockwool to hand watered coco, and the list goes on. You can do a lot in that space, but an ounce of planning is worth a pound of cure. Do it right the first time and you’re going to have ummmm...like a lot of weed. Good luck and post some pics as you get rolling.

Do some research on grow room setups from growers like Jungle Boys, Breadfarms, Cannabiotix, and the like. There’s lots of photos of their grows ranging from drain to waste Rockwool to hand watered coco, and the list goes on. You can do a lot in that space, but an ounce of planning is worth a pound of cure. Do it right the first time and you’re going to have ummmm...like a lot of weed. Good luck and post some pics as you get rolling.
That’s why I’m here.. . Timeline is to flip lights on Jan 2020 so I’ve got plenty of time to research, I want to get it right the first time. Thanks for the info! And I will be posting pics once I get started.

Maybe try out some Mars Hydro SP -250 , it is like the quantum board, but with finished work,and certificate. High PPE at 2.35~2.45umol/j , to help you save more energy while still can grow great. We are getting more growing results around 2g/w.

If I can make a comment here, after toying around with lots of dif LED lights I’d take the position that looking at them as good vs. bad isn’t necessarily wrong, but it’s not the full picture. I have Growmaus pucks running latest and greatest Samsung diodes... and I also have lights running Epistar. They are different for sure, but each have strengths in different areas.

I can blast a ton of light to plants with growmaus pucks, but I can control plant stretch/ height better with Epistar. Which ones better? Depends who you ask and their environment- Dude/ dudette with 10’ ceilings may say, “what are you stupid, the HLG Samsung diodes;” however the dude/ dudette with a 6’ tent supercropping their deep into flower plants may have a different opinion.

I listened to a guy in the gene therapy field on JRE last night discuss the importance of variation in humans, using sickle cell as an example. Sickle cell kills people, but recessed carriers also have protective advantages against malaria...point being, sometimes things that look like/ are a weakness in certain conditions, are advantageous in others. So if everyone moves to Samsung diodes and says Epistar or diode x,y,z are shit...we may be shortchanging ourselves because the truth is we don’t fully understand enough yet.

I don’t want to argue or be right, just offering perspective. But I do think @Pennywise should get one of the new lights in the giveaway.

Sorry for blowing up your spot PW, got a wild hair up my ass I guess :)

Back
Top Bottom