Lighting question

If I can make a comment here, after toying around with lots of dif LED lights I’d take the position that looking at them as good vs. bad isn’t necessarily wrong, but it’s not the full picture. I have Growmaus pucks running latest and greatest Samsung diodes... and I also have lights running Epistar. They are different for sure, but each have strengths in different areas.

I can blast a ton of light to plants with growmaus pucks, but I can control plant stretch/ height better with Epistar. Which ones better? Depends who you ask and their environment- Dude/ dudette with 10’ ceilings may say, “what are you stupid, the HLG Samsung diodes;” however the dude/ dudette with a 6’ tent supercropping their deep into flower plants may have a different opinion.

I listened to a guy in the gene therapy field on JRE last night discuss the importance of variation in humans, using sickle cell as an example. Sickle cell kills people, but recessed carriers also have protective advantages against malaria...point being, sometimes things that look like/ are a weakness in certain conditions, are advantageous in others. So if everyone moves to Samsung diodes and says Epistar or diode x,y,z are shit...we may be shortchanging ourselves because the truth is we don’t fully understand enough yet.

I don’t want to argue or be right, just offering perspective. But I do think @Pennywise should get one of the new lights in the giveaway.

Sorry for blowing up your spot PW, got a wild hair up my ass I guess :)
Totally agree with you, nothing is absolute, there are more expensive lights in the market, they are good , but with that price, it has to be good. Also there are not that expensive lights in the market, but is it bad? Maybe yes, maybe not, depend on which side you prefer more.

But like Growca mentioned if I buy a 260w QB and I can only run it at 70% without burning or super cropping plants. That QB cost me $400. Or I can run a TS 1000 for less than half that price and it produces the same product. We are not commercial growers with 20’ ceilings. The biggest different between a lot of these lights is simply heat management. If you can control heat and humidity all of these lights will produce top shelf results.

Exactly the advice I’m looking for! Thanks for your input. Let me ask you this.. would 15 plants per room be too many if I grow in pots via the SCROG method? That’s how many I envisioned would fit into the 300sqft area. I’m not wanting to produce 100 lbs a grow. Not yet anyway..
Here are thirty plants under six lights in a SCROG. The room is 6x24 so 150 sq.feet. Just enough room to work at them easily.

I run growmaus pucks and then also built a custom IR/UVA board from Rapid LED. Similar to the booster boards from Mass Medical.

Problem is I’ve used the UVA/IR on two grows, and what I’m noticing is within a couple of days I start to see issues. Could be coincidental, but has me concerned and it’s hard to get good data on the subject... even sending in pics to led makers.

I know on one of Gowmau5 videos he states UV is a waste of money. He said plants don’t distinguish between blue, far blue or the uv’s. To a plant blue is blue. UVB can actually damage a plant at the molecular level.

Well GM is killer and knows his stuff, so I’d pretty much take that as gospel. I went with UVA after reading a research study about trich enhancement, but I kinda think even that is BS after my experiences. Haven’t noticed any additional trichs and honestly probably only things I have noticed are negative.

I’m really hoping @Dan925 responds to if his current plants (thread below) look like mine did last grow because if they do I really think it’s coming from too high of concentrations of IR or UVA, or both. In any case all I know is I’m not using mine... so agree it does feels like a waste of money.

yeah, seems like a marketing ploy, I was being sarcastic with the post by the way. Just get those far-reds in at the very least. Which HLG has incorporated into the newest board.

as for OP, Who is going to be the head grower in your building? If its you, you better have some plants rolling to learn at least. Should do a 5x5 scrog to get your feet wet, Its going to be a an uphill battle if you cant even grow. ALOT of people fail at growing, and to have to handle a size of venture your thinking about, has a 95% chance of failure at this point, regardless the lights you run.

You should be learning to clone too, and total care for them, as it should be your main method to produce. Fem seeds are crappy way to go, and sorting pre-flower males and females is a waste of space and time.

Ok.. after a bit of research I’m looking at LED’s instead of HPS. I’ve also decided to totally redesign this thing. My plans now are to veg and flower in 2 different rooms. With the flower room being larger than the veg room. The lights I’m looking at are the Electric Sky 300’s. Based on their website I can use 2 for every 5 x 5 area for an open room setup. The flower room will be 17’ x 26’, I’m thinking I can get 24 lights in this room. I have an appointment to talk with electric sky tomorrow so they may be able to answer my questions on the lighting. What I’m not sure about is should I build a flush table and run a SCROG or set the pots in tubs directly on the floor and let them grow tall. The room is 9’ tall so they would be able to hit 7’ I think. I know the SCROG is more time consuming but you can get real good yields that way. Anyway that’s where I’m at with this project.

as for OP, Who is going to be the head grower in your building? If its you, you better have some plants rolling to learn at least. Should do a 5x5 scrog to get your feet wet, Its going to be a an uphill battle if you cant even grow. ALOT of people fail at growing, and to have to handle a size of venture your thinking about, has a 95% chance of failure at this point, regardless the lights you run.

You should be learning to clone too, and total care for them, as it should be your main method to produce. Fem seeds are crappy way to go, and sorting pre-flower males and females is a waste of space and time.
I’ll be the head grower and yea business ventures are never guaranteed but it’s a risk I’m willing to take. I’ve been reading tons and watching the hell out of YouTube vids and I’ve got a pretty good understanding of what I need to do to grow correctly. I will be extremely meticulous in this venture and I’m pretty confident I’ll get this down. I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to do this given my position, already own the land and the building and have several acres for growth if needed. Initial investment is relatively low as far as startups are concerned so why not give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom