Lighting question

Hey 420 peeps! I was contemplating getting more light in my 5x5 tent. I currently have a 600 watt hps air cooled running in there. I was thinking of adding a second light either a 1000 or another 600. He’s the question: Do you think 1600 watts of HID lighting is TOO much for a 5x5 space? And if so would 1200 watts be acceptable?

You can never have “too much” light.

You can however have too much heat. Good luck cooling 1200 watts of hps in a 5x5 tent.

What if you put it on a mover?

are those legal ? can't find them here, citing fire hazard. the coiled cords fray over time, shorting and causing fires.

There would be zero issues dealing with the heat at all I got that under control already. I have read that you can have too much light though and that’s what I’m curious about. Never thought of a mover and honestly don’t know if it would work. I have a lot hanging in the tent already and I’d have to shuffle a lot of stuff around to get a mover going but to hang a second light would be a “one and done” move kinda situation. I’m thinking two 600 watt air cooled would do alright. Link the ducting of the two lights together in the tent and have the exhaust fan sucking out of one end on another light and on the other end of the other light it would be bringing in cooler air to keep temps under wraps.

Have you considered switching up to LED's? Specifically, take a look at @BudgetLED and what they can do for a 5x5.

Just 2 of their 350w, 3-panel models would rock a 5x5, and max power consumption would only be 700w (even less in veg.)

700w sounds better to me than twice that or more, and those lights are awesome to boot. Granted it would take a little more initial investment, but it would easily make up the difference over a few months of use, and pay for itself within a year.

Much easier to think about than having to make a bunch of room, worry about head height, and all of that. With the driver attached to the back of the heatsink, you can get as close as about 6" or so from the top (if there is nothing above them of course), and the heat increase is minimal. I'm running 2 of the 250w, 2-board models and they raise the temp from ambient room by maybe 7F or 8F. Not much at all, and since the ambient temp in the room is 70F, that puts the plants right where I want their daytime temps.

May not be your cup of tea, but at least something to consider. Saving electric isn't a bad thing, and often overlooked on initial purchases.

Have you considered switching up to LED's? Specifically, take a look at @BudgetLED and what they can do for a 5x5.

Just 2 of their 350w, 3-panel models would rock a 5x5, and max power consumption would only be 700w (even less in veg.)

700w sounds better to me than twice that or more, and those lights are awesome to boot. Granted it would take a little more initial investment, but it would easily make up the difference over a few months of use, and pay for itself within a year.

Much easier to think about than having to make a bunch of room, worry about head height, and all of that. With the driver attached to the back of the heatsink, you can get as close as about 6" or so from the top (if there is nothing above them of course), and the heat increase is minimal. I'm running 2 of the 250w, 2-board models and they raise the temp from ambient room by maybe 7F or 8F. Not much at all, and since the ambient temp in the room is 70F, that puts the plants right where I want their daytime temps.

May not be your cup of tea, but at least something to consider. Saving electric isn't a bad thing, and often overlooked on initial purchases.
I have looked in to them but when I did getting them in to Canada seemed like too much of a hassle. I have a second tent that is running leds already. I just liked the results I was getting from my hps and wanted to see if I could push the limits a bit and get some better results.

I have looked in to them but when I did getting them in to Canada seemed like too much of a hassle. I have a second tent that is running leds already. I just liked the results I was getting from my hps and wanted to see if I could push the limits a bit and get some better results.

add a second 600 or a 400. two 400s could probably do it. the sum total of two hps fixtures is always greater than their halves. ie: two 600s produce better than a single 1200. heat could be an issue however.

Ah, that lovely import tax. Check.

IIRC they were working on something for that, but not sure where they are with it. Makes it a tick higher in price, but honestly, still worth every penny. The results from those lights are just mind blowing. Might take 12-16 months to fully recoup after the import duty, but still worth it in the long run, IMO.

I think @Dutchman1990's journal is probably the flagship one around here for what they can do, but there are a lot of folks that have switched over and are doing fantastic work under them.

add a second 600 or a 400. two 400s could probably do it. the sum total of two hps fixtures is always greater than their halves. ie: two 600s produce better than a single 1200. heat could be an issue however.
I’m thinking a second 600 is the way to go too.
Ah, that lovely import tax. Check.

IIRC they were working on something for that, but not sure where they are with it. Makes it a tick higher in price, but honestly, still worth every penny. The results from those lights are just mind blowing. Might take 12-16 months to fully recoup after the import duty, but still worth it in the long run, IMO.

I think @Dutchman1990's journal is probably the flagship one around here for what they can do, but there are a lot of folks that have switched over and are doing fantastic work under them.
Honesty I wish it was easier to get a good quality led like that here. I’d jump on the chance in a second. Sooner or later they’ll be more readily available here and I will get one but for the time being I need to try other options lol.
One DE Hid 1000W on super will give you 1150 + the added efficiency of the DE.
What’s the added efficiency of a DE? I’ve heard of them but haven’t looked in to them at all. Maybe something I should check out I suppose

Honesty I wish it was easier to get a good quality led like that here. I’d jump on the chance in a second. Sooner or later they’ll be more readily available here and I will get one but for the time being I need to try other options lol.

Drive across border. Put in trunk. Drive home.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Heck, wrap it in birthday paper, stick a card on it.... "beats me, it's a birthday present." :cheesygrinsmiley:

Would HLG be available? I'd hate to recommend away from a great forum sponsor, but maybe LED Grow Lights Depot (also a forum sponsor, just saying) could have a solution with HLG's quantum boards.

Honestly I wish it was easier to get a good quality led like that here. I’d jump on the chance in a second. Sooner or later they’ll be more readily available here and I will get one but for the time being I need to try other options lol.

it really isn't all that bad. i used to import components and build cob rigs from scratch. the cost to get a complete light or kit is still better than most of what is available already landed.

the cost to get @Budget LED delivered is still less than what i see at the locals

What’s the added efficiency of a DE? I’ve heard of them but haven’t looked in to them at all. Maybe something I should check out I suppose

they are really good. possibly the most popular light in europe. they hit above their wattage, but do produce heat.

Drive across border. Put in trunk. Drive home.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Heck, wrap it in birthday paper, stick a card on it.... "beats me, it's a birthday present." :cheesygrinsmiley:

Would HLG be available? I'd hate to recommend away from a great forum sponsor, but maybe LED Grow Lights Depot (also a forum sponsor, just saying) could have a solution with HLG's quantum boards.
it really isn't all that bad. i used to import components and build cob rigs from scratch. the cost to get a complete light or kit is still better than most of what is available already landed.

the cost to get @Budget LED delivered is still less than what i see at the locals

they are really good. possibly the most popular light in europe. they hit above their wattage, but do produce heat.
I’ll definitely do some more digging on both these options before I pull the trigger on anything else. Worst case scenario I now know that my original plan of adding a second 600 watt hps is doable but having other options to explore first is also great. Thanks for your guys’ input!

I rock @Budget LED boards in all my tents and paying the duty/shipping fees is minimal and next to nothing for the quality of light your getting. HPS is great sure but heat and hydro come into play big time.

As @multiVortex mentioned 2x of the 350W kits would blow up that 5x5 with minimal heat and incredible coverage!

In the end the decision is yours but why spend more money on cooking and energy when an led can save you on Both while producing better results!

My 600w QB wasn’t enough for my 4x4 tent, and just recently bought a Mars Hydro SP 250 off the Canadian Amazon. Might be something to consider for a cheap-ish lighting solution. My plants seem to be liking the additional light

Back
Top Bottom