Lighting question??

Dankdeadhead

Hey everybody,
Its been awhile since I've tryed to grow indoors, and I've forgotten some things.. I"m starting a closet grow and was wondering how much and what kind of lights I should use???? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :allgood:

Going all the way would be a Metal Halide light for veg and a High Pressure Sodium for flowering. Since the setup for both of them, ballast and reflector can be about 200 apiece, you can use compact florescent lights for the vegging process. You can use normal tube florescents but the compact ones screw into normal lights sockets and are more convenient and popular. I've got a few pics in my gallery of the CFL's just in case u don't know what I'm talkin about.

Thanks burn it! :allgood: I;m gonna have to check out your journel to get a better picture of it.. can I use flouro's for the entire grow??? and or could I use HPS for the entire grow??? :peace:

Since the setup for both of them, ballast and reflector can be about 200 apiece.

You can score a 400w hps system for $140 shipped and a MH conversion bulb to fit the HPS for an extra $30-$45. This set-up gives you a MH for veg and an HPS for budding all in one clean system. If you look for deals you can find em bro... eBay and HTG garden supply are my faves to shop first. You just gotta know what to look for. Google is your friend heh. :laughtwo:

like beensmokin said, you could go the MH/HPS route but your looking at a ballast system without a huge amount of light and heat out-put. If you got the space at your disposal, I'd go for the whole set-up and get yourself a professional grow setup. Like i've mentioned before I'm growin in my gf's closet and even though mama dukes is at work most of the time and doesn't seem to be able to smell pot, I have to keep a more low profile setup. CFL's are generally used for vegging only, the HPS have a blue light spectrum that plants thrive off of and NEED during flowering. I've been told that CFL's come in two different spectrums, a redish for vegging and a bluer color for vegging. I've never been able to tell the difference and plan on getting an HPS anyway. Some do use CFL's for flowering but I imagine it takes perfect conditions and a little luck. I'm growin for the first time and its much harder than I expected.

lemme know :bongrip:

CFL's are generally used for vegging only, the HPS have a blue light spectrum that plants thrive off of and NEED during flowering. I've been told that CFL's come in two different spectrums, a redish for vegging and a bluer color for vegging. I've never been able to tell the difference and plan on getting an HPS anyway.

Your information is not correct, I'm afraid. Here is the correct input.

A High Pressure Sodium (HPS) bulb emits a redish/orange color spectrum which cannabis thrives on most when in the flowering stage or also known as the 12/12 light cycle.

A Metal Halide (MH) bulb emits a blue color spectrum which cannabis thrives on most when in the vegatative stage.

A Cool White CFL produces a blue spectrum which cannabis thrives on most in the vegatative stage.

A Soft White CFL produces a redish/orange spectrum which cannabis thrives on most when flowering.

i got my spectrums backwards, so shoot me mr. expert.

Didn't me too come off like that bro I can see how that looks erigant, I apologize. I'm no expert by far but it would have been wrong for me or anyone not to point that out. I used to get my ish mixed up all the time, still do! :laughtwo: Stuff happens, its cool.

:allgood: Hope we're all good bro :allgood:

You can score a 400w hps system for $140 shipped and a MH conversion bulb to fit the HPS for an extra $30-$45. This set-up gives you a MH for veg and an HPS for budding all in one clean system. If you look for deals you can find em bro... eBay and HTG garden supply are my faves to shop first. You just gotta know what to look for. Google is your friend heh. :laughtwo:

Thanks for this beensmokin'. :smokin: Thats something I can afford right now, could I use the 400w hps for three plants threw the entire grow??? I also fell in love with blueberry and am going to grow that out I've decided. Dope-seeds, dutch passion 5 fem seeds is 44 their money 88 american. Anyone know of any places that are good and reliable that have good blueberry seeds for maybe cheaper???

:peace:

I found the seeds your talking about and the Dutch Passion original blueberry is fantastic and actually man 44 euros is more around $62 in our currency.. check out growshop alien but I hear people have good luck with dope-seeds as well :allgood:

the HPS will work throughout but many don't use them due to heat. How big is that closet and are u building a growbox in it, or just using the closet?

Thanks for this beensmokin'. :smokin: Thats something I can afford right now, could I use the 400w hps for three plants threw the entire grow??? I also fell in love with blueberry and am going to grow that out I've decided. Dope-seeds, dutch passion 5 fem seeds is 44 their money 88 american. Anyone know of any places that are good and reliable that have good blueberry seeds for maybe cheaper???

A 400w HPS will do 3 plants pefectly! In, fact I think you will be extremly suprised how much your 3 plants will yield under a 400. Depending on the size of the growspace you can put up to 6 plants comfortably under the 400.

If this is your first grow I would not recommend growing blueberry, its is an awesome strain but it is a some what difficult strain to grow for a beginner, I'd suggest starting out with something by Mandala seeds, Nirvana seeds, White Label fems and regs, or you could even grow some local bagseed to get a feel for how cannabis grows but if you really want to grow blueberry and you think you'd be up to the challenge, I'd say go w/ what ya want! Dope-seeds has great prices, some of the lowest, and they are very reliable. I'd stick with dope-seeds, i've ordered from them b/f and I got my order 9 days after it was shipped, I live in the south.

Good luck! Feel free to ask away bro. :allgood:

Thanks everybody.. Yes this is gonna be hopefully my first succesfull indoor grow, I've tried many times but parents got in the way... Now iTs legal for me and I got my on place, so I'm gonna grow on.. haha I think the 400 watt is too expensive for me right now actually so I'm gonna go for the 250 hps, would that be good for three plants??? For blueberry I'd be up for the challenge, I seriously love that herb!!! Looks awesome, smells amazing, tastes even better and the high is perfect.. :allgood: When I first started smoking it, it made me alittle obsessive about blueberrys.. ( I went out got blueberry tea and a blueberry pie, next time I did grocerys ) haha right now I cant afford the beans as well as the grow set up, so what I'm thinking is I'm gonna call that online grow shop you recommended beensmokin see how long it'll take for it to be delivered out here( I'm in Co, I believe the site said their in PA, so Idunno) Most likely order it this week, then grow out these purple urkel seeds I got.. Then when I make my cash back from the grow set up, I'm defentialy gonna go for the blueberry...

Burn it to answer your question my closet space I'm using now is prolly like 5 foot wide by 3 deep.. what do you mean a grow box??? I was just planning on putting somesort of something ontop of the carpet and then put the pots on top of that:peace:

You may want to look into Joey Weed's - Blueberry, the genetics are excellent!

Joey Weed - Blueberry F2

Indoor / Outdoor
This is the blueberry I've been using in my blue crosses such as Blue Apollo and others. I got it originally from DJ Short a few years back and am offering it in an F2 form. Blueberry is a high yielder with the soaring blueberry high and delicious blueberry smell. It gives large buds that are rock solid. Blueberry has been a favorite of many growers for years now and has won many awards. Your mouth will be watering every time you tend your plants. Try to wait until they finish before you sample some, I know it will be hard to wait. The blueberry moms have blue/purple stems particularly in the seedlings and the leaves or buds also tend to turn a bluish shade at the finish. Both blueberry and A11 are hardy vigorous plants with very nice buds. I expect this one to be a winner. Top them in veg so they stay short for you at the finish. I recommend a not too strong nute schedule. If you are growing in bubblers try a tds of 800 or 900 max. In soil use a little less than you use on your other plants.

Indoor flowering: 8 weeks.

This version of blueberry is much more affordable, IMO. Google 'Joey Weed blueberry' to find tha seeds. I think they are like $50 or so for 10.

Back
Top Bottom