Lighting schedule >24h

leodp

420 Member
Hi,
I am just starting to learn what autoflowering strains are and how they react to stimuli. This plant is so interesting!
Far from wanting to open another thread on 18+6, 20+4, 24+0 light+dark schedules, I have a more specific question which I was not able to answer looking at some online discussions on the subject.

Here is my point.
I have read that auto have a specific lifespan. Some measure it in weeks. Some measure it in number of stem nodes.
It may be that different auto strains have different lifespans. The situation gets more and more mixed up as new ruderalis/sativa/indica strains are created.

Let's assume to have an auto which has a specific lifespan in number of days.
What happens if I artificially prolong the length of the days? Let's say I have a light schedule of 24h light + 8h darkness. That's a day of 32h, 75% illuminated. Does this mean the plant may be able to live longer?
Why would I want to do it? Maybe I want to be able to perform more intensive LTS/Topping or other shape-forming techniques, in order to, i.e. increase yield, or show off incredible photos, or just have a nicer plant :)

A complementary and probably even more interesting idea would be to let plants be ready in less time: for example 12h light + 4h darkness, 75% illuminated --> one artificial day each 16h. How much is this impacting yield? How much does it affect the possibility of topping/LTS?

Is there anyone which has already done such a test?
It would not be too difficult to prepare separated setups with same auto strains but different time schedules, and then provide a measurable result.

Caveats:

1) Maybe autos do not have a circadian day which can be modulated to increase their lifetime or flowering age. We know from other situations that this may happen (i.e. laying chicken which produce more than 1 egg a day if the artificial day is shorter than 24h)

2) 24h+8h may be too long. Maybe we can push to something like 22h+6h. Same for 12h+4h: it may be too short.

3) If everything works but we increase the yield as much as we increase the lifespan (linear increase) then we are not really gaining anything: more time, more electricity costs, more yield. But less time, less electricity, less yield (linear decrease) may be worth pursuing: at the end we may have more crops per year and each one is ready faster (but we need to buy more seeds).

Thanks, Leodp

I think something similar has been done if I remember correctly. But i can't find the link for it.

Give it a go, but personally I've found the best is 24hrs of light till I see them at a size I like, then I flip to 18/6.

If you run it, be sure to come back here to post your results!

:goodluck:

Yeah I've read something on this too but can't for the life of me remember where. @Justin Goody wasn't something similar to this discussed a while back on here? I vaguely remember something and the guy that did it had raved about it but produced no real evidence of success. Sure it was along these lines.

Yeah I've read something on this too but can't for the life of me remember where. @Justin Goody wasn't something similar to this discussed a while back on here? I vaguely remember something and the guy that did it had raved about it but produced no real evidence of success. Sure it was along these lines.
It was discussed a few months ago (with photo plants though) giving like 24/8 etc and it supposedly brought higher yields, though the guy had only 1 unproven source and no real tests of his own.

With autos you can try whatever, but they inevitably go by a clock we can’t alter. Mine are on 19/5 but start drooping and not taking in anymore light after about 17-18 hours. And if it wants to be done on day 70, no amount of light will prolong that.
Best thing I’ve done so far is take clones from autos and increase the yield a bit, and get a more efficient light so it gets everything it needs.

It was discussed a few months ago (with photo plants though) giving like 24/8 etc and it supposedly brought higher yields, though the guy had only 1 unproven source and no real tests of his own.

With autos you can try whatever, but they inevitably go by a clock we can’t alter. Mine are on 19/5 but start drooping and not taking in anymore light after about 17-18 hours. And if it wants to be done on day 70, no amount of light will prolong that.
Best thing I’ve done so far is take clones from autos and increase the yield a bit, and get a more efficient light so it gets everything it needs.
Thanks mate. Good to know I wasn't just imagining something even if it wasn't exactly the same topic. :laugh:

@leodp

If you want to do some good reading on lighting that's not conventional but can give reliable results, check out the journal I linked. It's got some great reading on using far red spectrum, amoung tons of other great tidbits.

Thanks, I'll read the suggestions.
I do not think I'm going to experim
ent with dark-room setups. I still prefer real soil and sunlight.
But I nevertheless like to see how people find new ways.

Have a nice day, leodp

I think something similar has been done if I remember correctly. But i can't find the link for it.

As @013 mentions the guy who brought it up last August was asking for more info about the method after he came across another web page that mentioned the out-of-the-ordinary light & dark cycle and he posted here looking for more info. Just before the thread ended a natural death the guy admitted that he was trying the method. He has not mentioned what, if anything, happened. He has not logged in since October.

Here is the link to that discussion:
https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/24-on-12-off-light-cycle.488627/

Back
Top Bottom