Lights and seeds, HPS, MH, or dual spectrum, Autoflowering

BrownBud

I'm going to shortly start my grow two plants max , found some nice seeds that are feminised so males wont be a problem. Ive sorted fertilizer, 99% sure im going to use soil.

Im not 100% sure what to do with my lights though. Ive got roughly 3ftX1.5ftX6ft. At the moment i'm looking at either 400w HPS and a 400w MH or just single 600w dual spectrum bulb

Which ones would you recommended ?
is 400w over kill or the two plants or will it just increase the yields for two plants ?

Seeds wise im looking at getting either feminised northern lights or a autoflower feminised pyramid galaxy ( its ahybrid of Afghani and Northern Lights) supposed to be very high yields.

Any opinions on seeds does it matter if they're expensive / recommended strains?

Any help is great

Well, there's always a few factors that come into play when designing a grow room, or grow cab. A big thing is lighting. Remember, bigger light, Big Buds, also more heat youll have to pull out of your grow space.

You're MH is typically seen in most vegetative stages or in combo with HPS during flower. A typical setup would be to Veg under MH, flower with HPS.

Ok, with a bit of lighting issues covered we can now look at the layout of your grow area. Your rocking a 3' x 1.5' x 6' (lxwxh), so we have a Square footage of 4.5 square feet and volume of 27 CF. Most growers stick within a typical range with their givin space, too much light is overkill, too little you don't get enough penetration to your plant. A good range is between 30-70 watts per square foot (I've heard so many opinions on this range, so I'm just throwin it out there)

I personally would go with the 600 HPS, MH combo, it'll be worth its weight in Budzz if you decide to make a bigger cab or room.

Just the biggest problem with the higher wattage HPS, is the heat. They have cool tubes though that greatly reduce heat while letting the lumens penetrate the canopy. With around 27 CF of air you'll have to pull at least around 100 CF per minute (3 air changes per min.) So get a fan/ exhaust rated at a minimum of 100 CFM if you can.

:goodluck:

Cooling may be an issue, its just a closet grow, cant really cut any holes where i am at the moment. I'll probably be relying on a oscillating fan, and having the door open with a window open. Would a 400w HPS provide significantly lower heat?

Can any only link me to a guide of lumens per square foot of space cant seem to find anything

Edit: Found a light wattage to space chart. For now 250w HPS and 400w MH looks like the best option. I will be increasing the grow area but not for another 6 months and bulbs are fairly cheap.

Thank you for the help @Thew hopefully ill have a grow diary up within the month

You can rock the 400w, I've seen spectacular grows in small spaces with the bulbs, we'll you'll need some sort of ventilation to allow fresh air to be replaced. Lumen output per bulb you're looking for? Or just a general guideline of what most growers typical lumen output per space is? The oscillating fan is a must. If youre running a 400HPS you'll need to keep door open for sure, most likely depending on where you live.

:thumb:

You can rock the 400w, I've seen spectacular grows in small spaces with the bulbs, we'll you'll need some sort of ventilation to allow fresh air to be replaced. Lumen output per bulb you're looking for? Or just a general guideline of what most growers typical lumen output per space is? The oscillating fan is a must. If youre running a 400HPS you'll need to keep door open for sure, most likely depending on where you live.

:thumb:

Right all decided then door open during light veg hours with the fan on, just need to wait for delivery thank you for all your help Thew

hi your grow sounds similar to mine...have a closet grow going at the moment and i keep pretty good circulation with multiple fans and the door open from time to time...i wanna do a grow journal on here but cant figure out how...it would help to hear from other ppl as to what im doin right and wrong. do u know how i can do this?

hi your grow sounds similar to mine...have a closet grow going at the moment and i keep pretty good circulation with multiple fans and the door open from time to time...i wanna do a grow journal on here but cant figure out how...it would help to hear from other ppl as to what im doin right and wrong. do u know how i can do this?

read read read! in the start of faq there are threads tha will take care of most or all of your ?s. that said its still nice to share your q/as. good luck:goodluck:

thanx...yea sorry bout throwing that on your thread!

dude not my thread.just trying to help.just saying that you can probabley find out more faster about yor question if you gheck the how toos. nuthin rong with whanting a human responce .if ther is a? ill ask and so should you. lets get high together! :goodluck:

dude not my thread.just trying to help.just saying that you can probabley find out more faster about yor question if you gheck the how toos. nuthin rong with whanting a human responce .if ther is a? ill ask and so should you. lets get high together! :goodluck:

^^ LOL, no worries dude,

Decided on my lights after much deliberation, 400w hps 400w MH, in a dutch barn ( gotta do it on the cheaps for now, just a test run / bit of summer smoke for after exams :p)

Thanks for everyones input

Brown

sounds great mr brown. thats how ive been doingit,a little at a time. got so into it that i think im addicted.what a vice! im sure you will be too. are you taking botany? if not you are now! good luck and tell us how you do.:cheer:

get a 600w or 400w for each plant two closets instead of one you can get small fans for them at home depot. take the door of and put up plastic with vent holes Dual arc Bulbs kick ass but I think they only come in 1000w. You get more lumen for your dollar with hps. the longer the veg the more bud you can get from one plant a 400w can get one half pound plant or 3 or four, 2 to 3 oz. plants. what sounds better variety or quantity we all want both so now you joined the club more lights, more plants, more fans, more nutes, man it don't stop but man it takes the boring out of the day to day life. may you grow in peace and get some bug spray.:goodluck:

@fish cake, Law and Economics LLB, ive been doing a fair bit of research just ordered my seeds, got the La Diva's in the end the pineapple express i was looking at yields to little for the space i have.

@The303Stoner, I dont have the space at the moment im moving in September and ill be buying a grow tent big enough for 6 plants.

For now im just gonna go for a 400w hps and 400w MH, im only going to be doing two plants should have plent of light.

The seeds i have are autofems and from what ive researched dont need much nutes. I may just get some medium that releases nutes over a period of time and do an organic grow. Bugs shouldnt be a problem :). The only thing that could be an issue is PH, will order the PH down and PH test kit as soon as i have germinated :D

@Fish Cake, Law and Economics LLB, ive been doing a fair bit of research just ordered my seeds, got the La Diva's in the end the pineapple express i was looking at yields to little for the space i have.

@The303Stoner, I dont have the space at the moment im moving in September and ill be buying a grow tent big enough for 6 plants.

For now im just gonna go for a 400w hps and 400w MH, im only going to be doing two plants should have plent of light.

The seeds i have are autofems and from what ive researched dont need much nutes. I may just get some medium that releases nutes over a period of time and do an organic grow. Bugs shouldnt be a problem :). The only thing that could be an issue is PH, will order the PH down and PH test kit as soon as i have germinated :D
sounds like your head is screwed on right! Ihope you only the best.:)keep us up on how you do. ive got 400whps in my flower space andit is amazing recomend you check out lst and fim for at least some of your grow.Im on my first grow andthings are great:cheer:

Back
Top Bottom