Lights in the way...how to water and manage plants?

mas100378

Hello,

So I have 6 CFL lights, using 3 Y-adapters and they are hanging on those light strings. I suppose it is similar to those of you that have the home depot flood lights in the metal.

My question is when i need to manage my plants (water, add ferts, etc), do I need to actually move the lights? Will this mess up the lighting time the plants need? Do I need to create a better system where the lights are more to the side?

P.S. I am using the rubbermaid tub method. Two rubbermaids stacked.

Thanks

Do you have pics? Most of use use some type of system to raise and lower our lights for watering and plant management

Hi,

It is something similar to these:
Boss Inspired 12/12 CFL Setup, First Grow

Newbie - First Journal 2010, White Rhino - CFL - "Rubbermaid" Microgrow

Basically, the lamp cords are 15 feet long (i plan on contracting them) and they hang vertically. I have y adapters for using three cords with 6 CFL's. I am using two vertical rubbermaids (34g each). I have not constructed fully yet, but if my lights are near the plants, it seems I can not get a watering canister to not get the lights wet.

I bought the 15 foot vertical lamp cords from IKEA. They have the inlet to put the y-adapter and then simply install two CFL's per cord.

What type of "draw" system can I use/build to raise lower lights instead of taking top cover off and messing up the lights that might hit the plants, hit the sides of the rubbermaid containers, etc.
Hope this helps.

Yes, you need some way to raise and lower the whole light system. some folks use chains, with hooks on the lights, easy to move up as the plant grows taller. You can find rope ratchet hangers that work great, they make raising and lowering the lights very easy when working on the reservoir.

Yes, you need some way to raise and lower the whole light system. some folks use chains, with hooks on the lights, easy to move up as the plant grows taller. You can find rope ratchet hangers that work great, they make raising and lowering the lights very easy when working on the reservoir.

I guess since I am using a rubbermaid setup, it will be difficult either way to get to the actual plants to water them, right? The lights would still be in the way if I need to stick my hands down 4 feet of rubbermaid tubs. Do people in this situation create an "easy access" flip with some hinges?

Thanks so much

I guess since I am using a rubbermaid setup, it will be difficult either way to get to the actual plants to water them, right? The lights would still be in the way if I need to stick my hands down 4 feet of rubbermaid tubs. Do people in this situation create an "easy access" flip with some hinges?

Thanks so much

Yes.

Back
Top Bottom