Lil bananas, what to do?

Lucky man

Hey folks. It appears that I am now paying for my temp swings of a month or two ago. Since then I have spent the money to install temp switches for night and day. BUT................I have a perpetual grow, and the last 3-4 plants have had seeds. The buds are very nice and frosty, but they have seeds in them. When trimming , I noticed some bright yellow colored mini-banana looking things.

I know what male flowers look like during sexing time, but these banana things are hard to spot. Does pollen come from them too. I am freaking out a bit about this because I have 8-9 other plants in that flower room in different stages of flowering.

Any advice. Its winter here in the north and I cannot isolate any of these in another room. I only have a veg room and a flower room.

The buds are still tasty and laden with trich's, but each one has a seed or three in them. The buzz seems to be there.

Should I shit can these plants? They are 3-4 oz per plant size.

Thanks for any advice or input.

:thanks:

those bananas you're seeing are hermie male flowers, if it was caused by severe stress, its worth giving the strain another try, but if it really affected the outcome in a way you're not happy with, scrap the strain entirely. The bananas do release pollen, and that's probably what pollinated your buds to cause seeds to form. It is still smokable, and a few seeds per bud is more manageable than a bud composed of mainly seeds. I'd keep the weed certainly if you have 3-4oz worth, it will still smoke just fine, but if you have other plants that you don't want the pollen to spread to, definitely harvest them or move them to a different room

Thank you for the reply. I hate to harvest them early, but I want to end this cycle of hermi's. The plants that have the bananas are still mostly clear on the trichs to about 50% cloudy. I guess that makes the best sense. I guess this weekend I'll harvest a couple Crystal's, a Bubblegum, and a papaya. Then move the rest to the veg room, wipe and mop the flower room, and clean off everything with clorox wipes and see what happens on the next round.

:hmmmm:

I wouldn't do that, I would just pick off the male parts and let them finish out.

just move them out and pick off the male parts, clean everything, then put them back in and let them finish.

Simple solution to your hermies :thumb:

will that work?

That would be awesome!

:goof:

Does anyone know how long it takes to drop pollen from the time I see the lil yellow banana? Those things are so frickin small. This growing is tough for a guy with bad eyesight.

will that work?

That would be awesome!

:goof:

Does anyone know how long it takes to drop pollen from the time I see the lil yellow banana? Those things are so frickin small. This growing is tough for a guy with bad eyesight.

Get a large magnifying glass and pick off those male parts and I mean, soon!

Logic being, no male parts, no pollen, no seeds...makes since to me :thumb:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about this...ok?

OK, when the lights go on, I'll be there with my little trimmers, and I'll cut the bananas right out of the buds.Carefully of course.
Makes sense to me

I'd say just put a monkey in there....potchimp knows what I'm saying...or banana splits ..banana fosters...banana-Rama ....sorry bro i had too

you can try as much as you want to remove the bananas but I can assure you that you won't get them all. Some are hidden inside the buds, or under the buds, and continue to develop and dump pollen, which is then blown around your room by your fans.

In theory, picking the nanners off is a good idea, but any time I've ever tried I never found them all until I was harvesting and got them trimmed up.

If you have other plants you don't want the pollen to spread to, just chop them, otherwise you will be kicking yourself when the next crop is full of seeds. I speak from personal experience.

In addition to this, if you do manage to pull the nanners off, the plant knows this, and since it already is throwing bananas, it goes into more of a defense mode and throws out even more of them than you previously had. At this point your bud growth has practically come to a halt because it keeps trying to reproduce the lost male flowers and form more in hopes to keep its species alive.

you can try as much as you want to remove the bananas but I can assure you that you won't get them all. Some are hidden inside the buds, or under the buds, and continue to develop and dump pollen, which is then blown around your room by your fans.

In theory, picking the nanners off is a good idea, but any time I've ever tried I never found them all until I was harvesting and got them trimmed up.

If you have other plants you don't want the pollen to spread to, just chop them, otherwise you will be kicking yourself when the next crop is full of seeds. I speak from personal experience.

In addition to this, if you do manage to pull the nanners off, the plant knows this, and since it already is throwing bananas, it goes into more of a defense mode and throws out even more of them than you previously had. At this point your bud growth has practically come to a halt because it keeps trying to reproduce the lost male flowers and form more in hopes to keep its species alive.

well shit! That sucks. I have been checking them every time the lights come on and an hr or so before they go off. I have been getting about 5-6 off of each of the 4 plants each time I look. Yes, I have been pulling the colas apart a bit to check inside the buds and the lil bastards are in there too. Of the 4 that are confused, I have a crystal at week 7 of 8, a bubblegum at week 6 of 8, a maui at week 6 of 9,and a papaya at week 5 of 7. The crystal is 60-40 cloudy/clear trichs. The bubblegum is looking wonderful and full, but the trichs are still mostly clear, The papaya is about 50-50, but the maui is still too young to harvest with any hope of having good medicine. She does have some awesome purple colored buds already, almost black near the center of the bud. I appreciate the new info and opinion. I think I will have to think on it overnight. Maybe chop the crystal and papaya, and watch the other two more diligently.

:hmmmm:

yeah if you leave any up there, just be very diligent when checking them. You won't get them all, but if you get 95% of them, you're doing a good job and can still get a great finished product even though you have a couple of seeds here and there. I've had a couple of white widows hermie on me slightly, but it wasn't bad enough to harvest early, I just plucked the balls off, only found like 5 seeds on the whole plant.

I've also had some bagseed hermie on me and it was to a point that it would ruin my other plants so I took the risk and chopped it. Sucked at the time but a month later when the rest was seedless, I was happy I made that choice

If you do a thorough inspection daily and pick the nanas off with either your fingers or some tweezers (Easier), you can circumvent the problem. It's not a bad idea to hit them with a spray bottle of water before inspecting and plucking. The water will make the pollen inert which is good if the nana has already started to open.

If the male trait is coming out because of a heat issue like you said, then in a cycle or two you should be nana free and able to keep growing your high producing plants. Getting a few seeds in the current cycle's plants isn't something worth chopping down a plant that is yielding 3-4 Oz. They don't affect the quality of the smoke really, it's more the yield that's affected because the plant is putting energy into making those seeds instead of flowers.

How long are your plants spaced apart in 12/12 for the perpetual?
How many days into 12/12 are the nanas showing up? I had a few that showed right at 7 weeks, I plucked them and haven't seen any more since. Just because a few pop up doesn't mean they will overrun the plant, they might grow for a week and then stop.

Threat Level - Yellow

Wow, great info guys, I guess I was just flying by the seat of my pants with the pick them off thing.

I'm so glad to learn about these tricks and will file them back for later...thanks again ;)

If you do a thorough inspection daily and pick the nanas off with either your fingers or some tweezers (Easier), you can circumvent the problem. It's not a bad idea to hit them with a spray bottle of water before inspecting and plucking. The water will make the pollen inert which is good if the nana has already started to open.

If the male trait is coming out because of a heat issue like you said, then in a cycle or two you should be nana free and able to keep growing your high producing plants. Getting a few seeds in the current cycle's plants isn't something worth chopping down a plant that is yielding 3-4 Oz. They don't affect the quality of the smoke really, it's more the yield that's affected because the plant is putting energy into making those seeds instead of flowers.

How long are your plants spaced apart in 12/12 for the perpetual?
How many days into 12/12 are the nanas showing up? I had a few that showed right at 7 weeks, I plucked them and haven't seen any more since. Just because a few pop up doesn't mean they will overrun the plant, they might grow for a week and then stop.

Threat Level - Yellow

Thank you for the info. I chopped the Papaya and the Bubblegum today because they were very close to being at the harvest date anyways. I checked th other two for nanners and only found 3 or 4 on each plant.. When I was trimming up the ones I chopped. I found allot of them embedded deeper into the bud that I wouldn't have seen without trimming..
The crystal is about 5-7 days from being perfectly cloudy with a touch of amber IMO, so I am going to watch it very close, and it doesn't have nearly the leaf/sugar leaf as the others did. The Maui is still 5 weeks out, so If I see too many popping up on it, I will chop and discard it.

Te rotation is normally to harvest 1 plant every 7-12 days. usually when a plant gets chopped, it is replaced the same day with a girl from the veg room. It has taken me allot of planning and learning to get the timing as close as I have.

I did notice that these hermi plants have a smaller yield, maybe 15-20 % less. I am learning fast that these girls cannot be ignored for more than a day or so.

I am very glad that I flushed these plants 5-7 days ago.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

:peace:

Well, I haven't found any more nanners on any plants so I feel good about it for now. I will keep looking until the Maui is harvested.

Thanks again for the input. I hope someone else is helped by the thread.

Have a great weekend.

:high-five:

looks like you got in there before the damage happened, congrats! I know I've had some nanners pop out from light leaks, but then stops once you get it under control.

Back
Top Bottom