Lil' Girls - Various Strain Continuous Grow Journal

Hi brother j
enjoy your journal,thanks for your take on the pm.Looking forward to this fall when i germ my papaya and bubblicius,i"ll need your help with the papaya.Keep cool in this heat.:rollit::rollit::roorrip::bong:
HH

its great to have extra for when an idea strikes but i understand about the numbers those are great numbers tho ima go that route next run the cool thing is the pot its in is pretty small :bravo:

Hi brother j
enjoy your journal,thanks for your take on the pm.Looking forward to this fall when i germ my papaya and bubblicius,i"ll need your help with the papaya.Keep cool in this heat.:rollit::rollit::roorrip::bong:
HH

Hi man. thanx for stopping by man. Papaya really isn't too bad a strain. Smells great! I'll try to stay cool. It's only supposed to get 88 today, but the rest of the week is 90's. now thats too hot for me. I wilt.

its great to have extra for when an idea strikes but i understand about the numbers those are great numbers tho ima go that route next run the cool thing is the pot its in is pretty small :bravo:

yes, I hear you there. I usually have great success with the cuttings, but like to try new things as you say, so it would be nice. I plan on lowering the strains I have which will allow me a couple more cuttings in there, and to do wome work on the F1 crosses. I would like to get to an F2 soon.

Yes, the low profile 'bonsai' style moms stay low, and utilize smaller pots. Nice if you need to cram in a bunch of moms of different strains. I could fit about 6 of those in a 2 x 2 foot area, keep them under a foot and they'll produce about 120 cuttings every week if pruned right. I prune, and let the branches grow out, and then cut just above the last nodes so that they double the ammount of cuttings each plant can produce every time I prune. At that rate a 4' mother will produce hundreds of cuttings, but I also like to cut out the middle of the trees if they get that big. Learned that from the Apple tree. It doesn't grow as much in the middle to help accomidate extra airflow thru the canopy.

Interesting factoid. lol

talk to yoou later.:grinjoint::cool::reading420magazine:

oh oh oh, j.l.
there is a pic of the duck ft. front center of the pic of the phototron i just posted, i forgot to tell you...sorry...hugs, lavendar

Article by Soma

Feminized seeds occur as a result of stress, other than genetics. All cannabis plants can and will make male flowers under stress. Certain strains like a higher PH, some like a lower one. Some like a lot of food, some like a lot less. There is quite a lot of variety in marijuana genetics, and you can�t treat every plant the same way.

It takes many harvests before you really get to know a particular strain. Just like getting to know human friends, it takes time. I have grown strains for a decade and am truly getting to know every nuance the different plants exhibit. I can recognize them from a distance. I must say that I get a lot of help from my friends, both in making seeds and learning new and better ways of working with this sacred plant.

I named this new method �Rodelization� after a friend who helped me realize and make use of this way of creating female seeds. After growing crop after crop of the same plant in the same conditions, I noticed that if I flowered the plants 10-14 days longer than usual, they would develop male �bananas�. A male banana is a very slight male flower on a female marijuana plant that is formed because of stress. Usually they do not let out any pollen early enough to make seeds, but they sometimes do. They are a built in safety factor so in case of sever conditions, the plant can make sure that the species is furthered.

To me a male banana is quite a beautiful thing. It has the potential of making all female seeds. Many growers out there have male banana phobia. They see one and have heart palpitations, they want to cut down the entire crop or at least take tweezers and pluck the little yellow emerging devices out. I call them �Emergency Devices� because they emerge at times of stress.

In the Rodelization method, the male banana is very valuable. After growing your female plant 10-14 days longer than usual, hang them up to dry, then carefully take them off the drying lines and inspect for bananas. Each and every banana should be removed and placed in a small bag labeled very accurately. These sealed bags can be placed in the fridge for one to two months and still remain potent.

For the second phase you need to already have a crop that�s already 2 � weeks into flowering. Take your sealed bag of pollen out of the fridge, and proceed to impregnate your new crop of females. To do this, you must first match the female plant and the pollen from the same strain in the previous crop. Shut down all the fans in the grow room. Then take a very fine paint brush, dip it in the bag of pollen, and paint it on the female flower. Do this to each different strain you have growing together. I have done it with ten different kinds in the same room with great success.

I use the lower flowers to make seeds, leaving the top colas seedless for smoking. This method takes time(two crops), but is completely organic and lets you have great quality smoke at the same time you make your female seeds. If you�re one of those growers that has never grown seeds for fear of not having something good to smoke, you will love this method.

You can also use this pollen to make new female crosses by cross pollinating. The older females with the bananas can be brought into the room with the younger, un-pollinated females when they are three weeks into flowering. Turn all of the circulation fans on high, and the little bits of pollen will proceed to make it around the room. Do this for several days. Six to seven weeks later you will have ripe 100% female seeds; not nearly as many as a male plant would make, but enough to start over somewhere else with the same genetics.

As a farmer who has been forced to move his genetics far away from where they started, I know very well the value of seeds. My friend Adam from THSeeds in Amsterdam has a motto that I love to borrow these days: �Drop seeds not bombs�.[/QUOTE]

if you havent seen this i thought you might be interested....i thought it was great....lavendar:reading420magazine:

Thank you lavendar. That IS a great read. I used the same method with my male pollen to pollinate a bottom bud on each of my strains in bloom. used a q-tip though. It does work very well. I'll also remember that about the bananas. I havent had any lately, just the full hermie twilight with her full male flowers on the bottoms of each budsite, but this will also come in handy when I DO use the trick for Feminizing. YOU KNOW what I'm talking about. I think I have about 2-3 more weeks until my seeds will be done for the F1 crosses. WOOHOO!!!

ok, I'm off to check out the duckfoot! Thanx for the heads up!
I'd REP you but already tried that this morning, need to rep more people first!

Article by Soma

Feminized seeds occur as a result of stress, other than genetics. All cannabis plants can and will make male flowers under stress. Certain strains like a higher PH, some like a lower one. Some like a lot of food, some like a lot less. There is quite a lot of variety in marijuana genetics, and you can�t treat every plant the same way.

It takes many harvests before you really get to know a particular strain. Just like getting to know human friends, it takes time. I have grown strains for a decade and am truly getting to know every nuance the different plants exhibit. I can recognize them from a distance. I must say that I get a lot of help from my friends, both in making seeds and learning new and better ways of working with this sacred plant.

I named this new method �Rodelization� after a friend who helped me realize and make use of this way of creating female seeds. After growing crop after crop of the same plant in the same conditions, I noticed that if I flowered the plants 10-14 days longer than usual, they would develop male �bananas�. A male banana is a very slight male flower on a female marijuana plant that is formed because of stress. Usually they do not let out any pollen early enough to make seeds, but they sometimes do. They are a built in safety factor so in case of sever conditions, the plant can make sure that the species is furthered.

To me a male banana is quite a beautiful thing. It has the potential of making all female seeds. Many growers out there have male banana phobia. They see one and have heart palpitations, they want to cut down the entire crop or at least take tweezers and pluck the little yellow emerging devices out. I call them �Emergency Devices� because they emerge at times of stress.

In the Rodelization method, the male banana is very valuable. After growing your female plant 10-14 days longer than usual, hang them up to dry, then carefully take them off the drying lines and inspect for bananas. Each and every banana should be removed and placed in a small bag labeled very accurately. These sealed bags can be placed in the fridge for one to two months and still remain potent.

For the second phase you need to already have a crop that�s already 2 � weeks into flowering. Take your sealed bag of pollen out of the fridge, and proceed to impregnate your new crop of females. To do this, you must first match the female plant and the pollen from the same strain in the previous crop. Shut down all the fans in the grow room. Then take a very fine paint brush, dip it in the bag of pollen, and paint it on the female flower. Do this to each different strain you have growing together. I have done it with ten different kinds in the same room with great success.

I use the lower flowers to make seeds, leaving the top colas seedless for smoking. This method takes time(two crops), but is completely organic and lets you have great quality smoke at the same time you make your female seeds. If you�re one of those growers that has never grown seeds for fear of not having something good to smoke, you will love this method.

You can also use this pollen to make new female crosses by cross pollinating. The older females with the bananas can be brought into the room with the younger, un-pollinated females when they are three weeks into flowering. Turn all of the circulation fans on high, and the little bits of pollen will proceed to make it around the room. Do this for several days. Six to seven weeks later you will have ripe 100% female seeds; not nearly as many as a male plant would make, but enough to start over somewhere else with the same genetics.

As a farmer who has been forced to move his genetics far away from where they started, I know very well the value of seeds. My friend Adam from THSeeds in Amsterdam has a motto that I love to borrow these days: �Drop seeds not bombs�.

if you havent seen this i thought you might be interested....i thought it was great....lavendar:reading420magazine:[/QUOTE]

This is good info. Not really interested in it as I need to get some exp but I am not going to want to keep buying seeds online-thats for sure :goodjob:

Thank you lavendar. That IS a great read. I used the same method with my male pollen to pollinate a bottom bud on each of my strains in bloom. used a q-tip though. It does work very well. I'll also remember that about the bananas. I havent had any lately, just the full hermie twilight with her full male flowers on the bottoms of each budsite, but this will also come in handy when I DO use the trick for Feminizing. YOU KNOW what I'm talking about. I think I have about 2-3 more weeks until my seeds will be done for the F1 crosses. WOOHOO!!!

ok, I'm off to check out the duckfoot! Thanx for the heads up!
I'd REP you but already tried that this morning, need to rep more people first!

put 3 more older d.f. pics up...not very good tho, maybe??? lavendar

if you havent seen this i thought you might be interested....i thought it was great....lavendar:reading420magazine:

This is good info. Not really interested in it as I need to get some exp but I am not going to want to keep buying seeds online-thats for sure :goodjob:[/QUOTE]

know what you mean....in the last yr...spent way over 1K on just seeds...at 15-30 a seed, i could go broke fast....lavendar..started doing my own on the ones i like...saves a lot of geetas....:cheer:

why yes, yes it does, not to mention the unique qualities that you'll have, and one of a kind crosses and new strains that you can come up with fairly easly. All you need really is time, patiance and information. .....maybe some experiece too, but gotta start somewere. Everyone does it a first time.

...and a second.

Ok so I am going to post what I posted on the Deep Water Culture home this morning. Basically I plan on having a tent in a spare room and my question is do I necessarily need fresh air entering the grow room that the tent is in? Or would it be sufficient enough to try to maintain the room temp so that the tent does not get too hot? Here is the post from this morning asking for some Bh advice. Wanted to ask you since I know you have tents and know what your doing.

Its an apartment so i dont want to have to make modifications to make it a legit grow room. Was thinking of having two tents on for veg and clones/mother and one for flower. The lights i have are 600w MH and HPS. with some 42W cfl's I want to use for side lighting. Plan on getting a LED but thats after a grow or two. I have the venting for the tent and im going to make the Carbon air scrubber hopefully it will turn out fine. If not then I will buy one. Was going to use the Centrifugal Fan as out-take and line the vent ports with some of them 120mm computer fans (still have to buy the fans and w.e to power them) But yea I think I will be getting it underway soon hopefully. So I should figure out a way to have fresh air to enter the room from the outside? Or will moving the air around in the room and cooling the air in the room be good enough? Or should I at least aim for Intermittent fresh air entering the room? :thanks: In advance

:peace:
Ok so I am going to post what I posted on the Deep Water Culture home this morning. Basically I plan on having a tent in a spare room and my question is do I necessarily need fresh air entering the grow room that the tent is in? Or would it be sufficient enough to try to maintain the room temp so that the tent does not get too hot? Here is the post from this morning asking for some Bh advice. Wanted to ask you since I know you have tents and know what your doing.

Its an apartment so i dont want to have to make modifications to make it a legit grow room. Was thinking of having two tents on for veg and clones/mother and one for flower. The lights i have are 600w MH and HPS. with some 42W cfl's I want to use for side lighting. Plan on getting a LED but thats after a grow or two. I have the venting for the tent and im going to make the Carbon air scrubber hopefully it will turn out fine. If not then I will buy one. Was going to use the Centrifugal Fan as out-take and line the vent ports with some of them 120mm computer fans (still have to buy the fans and w.e to power them) But yea I think I will be getting it underway soon hopefully. So I should figure out a way to have fresh air to enter the room from the outside? Or will moving the air around in the room and cooling the air in the room be good enough? Or should I at least aim for Intermittent fresh air entering the room? :thanks: In advance

hi Myzz617! So do you have 2 600w systems, or the 600w and a conversion lamp? Just currious.

Here's my take on this. If you have 2 600w systems your planning to put one in bloom tent, and one into veg tent right? If it were me, I'd run one bloom tent, and one veg tent. I'd prefer to make steps or benches in the veg tent to have different sized plants on different levels for different light intensities. those tents are usually tall enough to do that, and with the addition of the compact flouros it wouldnt be hard to do that. In that case you'd put cuttings on ground level or low, moms on middle, and vegging clones on top step roughly. You could also do this with just the flourescents if you set them up efficiently. That alone would save you some bucks.

as for fresh air, If your running 1200w of HID light + some compact flouros you'll most likely need to have air coming in from another room just because of heat, but I'm basing this off of standard 10'x10' rooms at about 75' ambient temps. I would really need to know some details like ambiant temp (regular room temps) and if you are infact going to run 2 of the 600's. Big difference if not.

...also, rather than using a centrifugal fan with filter for exhaust and various axial fans for intake I would recommend just using the right sized centrifugal exhaust (with filter ofcourse) and if you get the right size fan it'll create a negative pressure in the tent, and air will automatically suck in. Besides, you Ideally want to have only one intake and one exhaust if possible because 1. It'll be easier to control your airflow, 2. It will limit light leakage both in and out. 3. Decrease potential headaches when using Co2 systems in the future (trust me, it'll cross your mind eventually, if not already. lol) 4. Decrease the chance for harmfull insect and pathogens being introduced into the garden.

If noise is not a major issue I would recommend somewere around 450 CFM fan with matched filter. Your CFM of airflow will drop below fan rating after the filter is attached, and also since it is working to create that negative airflow. Keep this in mind when you decide to purchase your fan. Alot of new growers don't figure in the resistance factors, and end up needing a larger fan than they initially purchase.

well, I could probably go on and on, but thats it for now. I hope that helps you out man! :cheer: Good luck!

Cool, I have a 6inch Fan High Tech Garden Supply

Once I move and get setteled in I will make a thread and get back to you about ambient temps in the room. For light I planned on just using one tent for my first grow so it is a conversion. 600w MH and 600w super HPS. Should I get another tent and just go with the method you said? If so should I go with a 175W-400W Mh bulb for the veg tent (Of course after getting the most out of my 600w MH I already have or even return it) with some CFL's and the 600W HPS with CFLs for the bloom tent? Btw :thanks: for your expertise and help very much appreciated. Want to get things sorted out so when I am good to go I can get things rolling. Been planning my grow since I joined the site.

nice to hear about your havest JL excellent yeild there mate cant wait to see what your going to get from the rest :bravo:

Thanx man. It's actually staggered, so Bloom is usually full. the harvest was a while ago, so I have another coming up soon, and hopefully if all goes to plan (which it never seems to do...lol) then I'll have another a couple weeks after that. Last harvest was definatly great yield considering. over 1g per watt. I think that even though this next plant to be harvested has had lockout issues it will still break or match my record last harvest. I hope anyways.

stop by any time!! WOOHOO!:welcome::peace::yahoo:

Cool, I have a 6inch Fan High Tech Garden Supply

Once I move and get setteled in I will make a thread and get back to you about ambient temps in the room. For light I planned on just using one tent for my first grow so it is a conversion. 600w MH and 600w super HPS. Should I get another tent and just go with the method you said? If so should I go with a 175W-400W Mh bulb for the veg tent (Of course after getting the most out of my 600w MH I already have or even return it) with some CFL's and the 600W HPS with CFLs for the bloom tent? Btw :thanks: for your expertise and help very much appreciated. Want to get things sorted out so when I am good to go I can get things rolling. Been planning my grow since I joined the site.

I thought you were talking about 1 600, but wasn't sure. Yea, if you were planning on using just the one tent first grow, then that should be great! You'd have everything all set for bloom, and just switch the bulbs! nice and easy. I like that. (hardly ever is though. lol) The only problem will be keeping a mother and cuttings once you switch to bloom. Thats were the other tent comes into play. Personally I'd prefer to use a 250MH for veg, but again it depends on tent size, and prefered plant height. Keep in mind that the higher wattage your using for lighting the more money you'll end up dropping for cooling systems, etc...so I like to keep it low and simple my self. You can also run CFL's or standard flouros in the veg for a little boost, and put one low to get more light low were your cuttings will most likely be happiest.
I believe that thos 600's are the most efficient out of any of the sizes by lumens per watt. I wouldn't return it. You can always use the MH conversion. For example, run the MH bulb for the first couple of weeks in bloom to help keep the plants initial stretch minimized, some gardeners also run it durring the final flush stage to increase Trichome production.

Good luck man!:peace::cheer::popcorn:

ok, so I know it's been days since I said I'd get better pics up of the bloom, well, here they are. All but 2 of the plants are still recovering from the lockout, so they look like shit this go, but with the new Coir and adjusting the nutes to help the lockout they are recovering......even though It's hard to tell in the pics. their growth has gone back to normal rates, and they're filling in again. I just feel bad that they got burned as they did. shit happens. I have learned what to look for, and how to help if it happens again, so eh, it wasn't all bad.

bloom tent shots
1a_new_ones_011.jpg

1a_new_ones_003.jpg

Medusa
1a_new_ones_009.jpg

older rhino
1a_new_ones_022.jpg

newer rhino (in different brand of Coir and in an Airpot)
1a_new_ones_010.jpg

1a_new_ones_004.jpg

1a_new_ones_020.jpg

1a_new_ones_015.jpg

Lower seedbearing buds
1a_new_ones_018.jpg

1a_new_ones_017.jpg

Well crap. I though I had some pics of the papaya. I guess they are lost somewere. I'll take them next time. Trust me your not missing much, she got alot of fan leaves burned from the lockout, isn't very photogenic this go, but I'll re-take some pics soon.

thanx for looking!

j.l.
i think the d.f. stays that way from pics ive seen...have handed these over to the hubby to oversee...i had to hunt for them....couldnt believe it...hes a sneak....i think your advice is spot on....i had a real hard time running one room and ended up being totally stressed....so i subdivided as youve seen...will do some research on the d.f. for you....hugs, L:reading420magazine::grinjoint:

wow, i dropped off the last message just in time....great pics, and theres nothing wrong there that a good trim later on wont cure....they look great, and the size is overwhelming....besides, you learned something, which means you grew .. if we're not making mistakes then we are not learning....it ended well...:bravo::bravo::reading420magazine:.

j.l.
i think the d.f. stays that way from pics ive seen...have handed these over to the hubby to oversee...i had to hunt for them....couldnt believe it...hes a sneak....i think your advice is spot on....i had a real hard time running one room and ended up being totally stressed....so i subdivided as youve seen...will do some research on the d.f. for you....hugs, L:reading420magazine::grinjoint:

Hi Lavendar! Thanx for the backup about the advise. Please feel free to jump in if I missed anything...I tried to cover most of it, but have been sidetracked today. Doing planning and housework for the 4th party, and trying to clean 'whatever this was' I found smashed into the carpet from the kids. I think it may have long ago been some sort of processed food product. lol

I hear you about the stress of a single area garden, although with working out the kinks of the new tent, the Lockout, bad coir, breeding, and change to new organic nutes I'm feeling it... the stress that is. I almost wanna go curl up in a ball in a corner and start sucking my thumb. lol but thats a fleeting thought. After that I get back up and think about all that I've survived, and learned from in the garden, (Yes, I've almost burned a friends house down with crappy electrical some years back) and just sit down, grab a beer and a bowl and think it thru.... So yea, I like having multiple areas. I have 4 now, Bloom, grow, clone, and breeding areas, but I hardly ever use the new cloneing area (Old grow area before the the tent.) other than for experiments with different mediums and cloning additives. Oh, no worries about the duckfoot Lavendar I'm going to be looking it up and a few other strains online tonight anyways. I find it fascinating that someone actually bred in that mutation. (Wally is his name, No?)...Just always interested in the ones away from the norm. You know how that is. P.s. I've been on the seedco sites lately and have come across some of the old skool strains (supposedly) and think of your quest, but didn't want to bother you, but if you want I can pm you with links to them if I find them. just let me know, and I'll do it if you'd like. Found Afghan Landrace and Chocolate Thai yesterday (isn't that Thaistick?)...

sorry to rant, lol I'm on a cleaning break. lol

wow, i dropped off the last message just in time....great pics, and theres nothing wrong there that a good trim later on wont cure....they look great, and the size is overwhelming....besides, you learned something, which means you grew .. if we're not making mistakes then we are not learning....it ended well...:bravo::bravo::reading420magazine:.

Yes you sure did. the Force is STROOONG IN YOU! Yea, it is just the leaves. The actual buds are pretty covered in trichs. I think I'll do a few new trich shots soon. It's been a while since I've uploaded any of those babies. I do hate seing the girls like that though. Specially when I seemingly changed NOTHING in my nute mix or in the schedule......exept the coir. It was a low blow. Thanks for the kind words in a time of need! i appreciate it! ...And yes, it's not a total loss since I learned something (just wish there was an easier way. lol) Talked to the people at the garden center about it. They stared back like lost chickens. Had ABSOLUTLY NO IDEA what I was talking about i think. I think that they just smiled and waved...lol I can have that effect on people sometimes. Funny though.

lol, thanx for the great post Lavendar! Keep up the great work!!:bravo::welcome::peace::yahoo::cheer::cheer::cheer::roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom