Lime green stunted new growth

Edna

Hey guys new to this just wondering if any experienced growers can chime in and give me a hand! All input is welcome!

5x5 grow tent
4” inline fan output
4” boost fan into
1 solar system 550 on veg with controller
Hung 50” from top of canopy
Rh is 50-60%
Temp is 76-78 F
1 clip fan up high
1 isolating fan down low
(Ppm pen is on scale 700)
Sitting in 5 gallon smart pots

Okay now for the baby’s
Crown royale 3 from seed in fox farm ocean forest. I had no problems at the start. Solo cups till day 12. Now their on day 20 sitting in 5 gallon smart pots and I’m running into a little trouble. They got straight distilled water at 6.5ph till day 14 (and yes where I jumped the gun and went wrong I believe anyway)
So day 15
Feeding
Using advanced nutrients
2.3ml sense a+b
2.3 B-52
2.3 voodoo
In 2.5 L of distilled water.
P.H 6.4 ppm 400

So day 19 came and I thought hey let’s do
It again. gave them the same feeding and now I’m noticing no new growth and the growth that is there is lime green and canoed leaves. Seems stunted.
One of them was a late seed I planted and never gave it any nutes it seems to be having the same problem the other two are having. I panicked this morning and gave it a good flush of distilled water at 6.4ph with 10% run off. PH run off was at 6 but the ppm was at 5500!!
Any input you guys have is greatly appreciated. Hope to get this back on track.
If I missed any info please let me know.
Don’t want to jump the gun again and flush these baby’s especially right after I gave them a drink yesterday.

Attachments

• CE8F513F-8FB4-433A-AE68-DE105E91749A.jpeg
    CE8F513F-8FB4-433A-AE68-DE105E91749A.jpeg
    771.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 8FEA25CF-F080-4DB6-86B6-C3354F454A8D.jpeg
    8FEA25CF-F080-4DB6-86B6-C3354F454A8D.jpeg
    729.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 4F745547-5243-41F8-B5FE-31301ABD0C46.jpeg
    4F745547-5243-41F8-B5FE-31301ABD0C46.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 102
Remember one thing it's a learning process take notes n a journal is key to look back an see were u came from but there is a lot of great people here some a holes but u will c the real ppl glad u here :roorrip::roorrip::volcano-smiley:

Hey guys new to this just wondering if any experienced growers can chime in and give me a hand! All input is welcome!

5x5 grow tent
4” inline fan output
4” boost fan into
1 solar system 550 on veg with controller
Hung 50” from top of canopy
Rh is 50-60%
Temp is 76-78 F
1 clip fan up high
1 isolating fan down low
(Ppm pen is on scale 700)
Sitting in 5 gallon smart pots

Okay now for the baby’s
Crown royale 3 from seed in fox farm ocean forest. I had no problems at the start. Solo cups till day 12. Now their on day 20 sitting in 5 gallon smart pots and I’m running into a little trouble. They got straight distilled water at 6.5ph till day 14 (and yes where I jumped the gun and went wrong I believe anyway)
So day 15
Feeding
Using advanced nutrients
2.3ml sense a+b
2.3 B-52
2.3 voodoo
In 2.5 L of distilled water.
P.H 6.4 ppm 400

So day 19 came and I thought hey let’s do
It again. gave them the same feeding and now I’m noticing no new growth and the growth that is there is lime green and canoed leaves. Seems stunted.
One of them was a late seed I planted and never gave it any nutes it seems to be having the same problem the other two are having. I panicked this morning and gave it a good flush of distilled water at 6.4ph with 10% run off. PH run off was at 6 but the ppm was at 5500!!
Any input you guys have is greatly appreciated. Hope to get this back on track.
If I missed any info please let me know.
Don’t want to jump the gun again and flush these baby’s especially right after I gave them a drink yesterday.
I see a lot of trouble brewing here... new growth is always a lighter color than the older growth but let's go with your gut feeling that they are a little too lime green. I suspect that your plants are about to get very hungry, based on your description of the HYDRO nutes you are giving them, and if not already they are going to be getting very hungry soon. HYDRO nutes and their pH requirements of working in the 5.5-6.1 pH range, simply will not work in soil. I strongly suggest that you immediately switch to a soil based nutrient, like the FoxFarm trio and 3 solubles although at the moment in a good soil like FFOF, they really shouldn't need any nutes right now.

The thing that I think I see going on with the drooping leaves is the tell tale signs of living with an over waterer. How often do you water and what makes you determine that it is time to water or give nutes and water?

Did this stunting that you are seeing happen upon up-potting? I suspect you may have moved them from the cups before they were ready, but you tell me... how did the roots look when you pulled them out?

Thank you Emilya. The picture I took was right after the second feeding so I’m sure their going to look a little droopy ? Also I feed feed water feed feed water. I was thinking the new growth being that green was that they are starting to get hungry? Also yes I noticed it after the transplant that they stopped “ shooting up” The roots made it to the bottom but they weren’t bound. I know stunting from transplanting, but it was weird how after I put them in the bigger pot they grew for 3-4 days then the lime green/ curled canoed leaves showed up with no growth. Could have left them for at least another week. When I feed or water I usually have a 3/4 day grace period before I believe it’s time again. Stick my finger in a inch on the side plus I know how heavy the pot feels dry/damp/soaked. ( when they first went in the 5 gallon I didn’t want to over water so I didn’t give nutes and I didn’t let water run out the bottom. Afraid of what you just told me about over watering. I appreciate the advice and look into the nutes!

Hi Edna, and very nice to meet you. Please read my sticky on How to Properly Water and I would love to hear your comments on watering after reading my extensive advice in that article. A happy plant keeps its leaves up and tracking the sun... yours are not. The reason is: stale water in the bottom of your container that is not getting used up between waterings. You are killing your plants with kindness, over watering by watering way too often.
Also on the up-potting early...
The reason we start in smaller containers and successfully uppot is so that we can have total control of how well the roots develop. If we water the container properly, by saturating the soil each time we water to the point of runoff, we can then gauge the strength of our roots by how long it takes the plant to use up ALL of the water in the container. The most important part of that container is the bottom inch... if we don't let it get dry down there, those roots suffer.
So when we water, we do it completely, filling that soil up as if it were a sponge, and we slowly add this water until no more can be suspended or it runs out the bottom as runoff. Then we wait... we don't stick our finger in the top like a tomato gardener who has to keep the plant wet, we wait until when we lift that container we feel absolutely no water weight. None. You will think that you are being cruel to your plant... but this is a weed, and this is the only way to get the roots to fill up a growing space.
So the plant will typically as a seedling take 4 or 5 days to use up all the water in a beer cup sized planter. After this, each wet/dry cycle you run your plant through, it will take less and less time to use up that water, because the roots are getting stronger and more dense. Because you are carefully monitoring the water use now, instead of just guessing, you know exactly how strong your plant is getting, or if it stagnates. You should see a steady decrease of the time it takes on each wet/dry cycle until eventually the plant will be able to use all of its water in 24 hours or less.
You have now developed the rootball to the maximum that it can be grown in that container, and it is time to double the size of the container and start this process again, trying hard to build up that rootball on each wet/dry cycle. If you go up in size with your container too fast, like from a solo cup to a 5 gallon container, you immediately lose control of the roots and it is no longer possible to completely water that large container of soil without drowning your plants. Extraordinary measures must be taken so as to not allow water to pool on the bottom, yet entice the roots to grow downward and outward. It is hard to do, and it requires a lot of guesswork as to how much water to give it at this point or how often. You have to try hard to get the roots strong enough again to be able to use all the water you can add to the container in a reasonable amount of time, like 4-5 days, when you can again resume watering correctly. So your instinct of not giving as much water after the transplant was good... but now I am going to tell you to make sure to water from the edges for a while... entice those roots to grow in that direction. Give just enough water to get down to the bottom, but not pool there, and do not water until what you have given has been used.
The difficulty you are having right now is why it is recommended to start in a solo cup, move up to a 1 gallon, then move to a 3 or 5 gallon, and if you are going big, then to a larger 7-15 gallon container. Successive small up-pots are the key to maintaining control of the root development and knowing exactly what your plants are doing, by monitoring their water usage against a known standard... the weight of a dry container of soil.

Emilya, I apologize. Nice to meet you too. Getting right back into it. I feel like I should have found you before I embarked on this journey. They way you explained watering makes the hairs on my neck stand up. The way I have treated (watered) (transplanted) these young lady’s is and was terribly wrong. I noticed before my last feeding one of these plants had their leaves stretched up to the sky, she seemed happy. As soon as I hit her with the light nute feeding and her leaves dropped it made me sad lol. I’m going to definitely utilize the information you have gave and taught me on that thread I just read. That quote from rusty puts everything in perspective. When you have a idea, move as fast as they grow. As for these girls, well I’m admitting I have made a rough life for them in their early stages. Hopefully I can get them back on track. Thanks again em ! Great information.

The crazy thing is em I seen that root ball after my transplant. I’m going to use the watering techniques you have showed me and use it to my advantage. Take care of the roots and the top will fallow suit ? I appreciate it em! And any questions I know where to look. Cheers my friend.

So I let them dry out for 8 days as of tomorrow. The one still hasn’t had any new growth and the Leaves are still canoes (photo period). Pots are getting light but I still think they should be okay for a couple more days. I have this new issue as to the fan leaves are twisting and the tips are starting to burn on my 2 autos. Their Starting to flower as the pistels are starting to come in. Would this be because of the soil is hot or over feeding and a lock out of a nute ? I have read that it’s because the plants are going into flowering which is perfect because after this next watering they can get a feeding of bloom nutes. The run off I checked of the little guy (photo period) was 6.0 ph and that was 8 days ago. This Watering its just going to get water and calmag. Should I aim to get the ph of the mix a little higher due to the low run off ? Like 6.5 ? Also the ppm of the run off was really high as I stated in the post above.

So I let them dry out for 8 days as of tomorrow. The one still hasn’t had any new growth and the Leaves are still canoes (photo period). Pots are getting light but I still think they should be okay for a couple more days. I have this new issue as to the fan leaves are twisting and the tips are starting to burn on my 2 autos. Their Starting to flower as the pistels are starting to come in. Would this be because of the soil is hot or over feeding and a lock out of a nute ? I have read that it’s because the plants are going into flowering which is perfect because after this next watering they can get a feeding of bloom nutes. The run off I checked of the little guy (photo period) was 6.0 ph and that was 8 days ago. This Watering its just going to get water and calmag. Should I aim to get the ph of the mix a little higher due to the low run off ? Like 6.5 ? Also the ppm of the run off was really high as I stated in the post above.
They are actually looking great! You have done well letting them dry out and it looks like maybe one of them has still a ways to go with that, but they are showing that they are liking this treatment a lot. Let me see a picture of the burn... i dont see it in these. As far as the runoff goes, forget even measuring it... it does nothing but confuse people and the number you get there, high or low, means nothing. No matter what you percolate and drag out of the soil as runoff, it has absolutely no relationship with what the pH of the container is when you properly set the fluid that you water with to the correct pH. Always make sure the water or water/nutes in is at 6.3, and you are golden... the soil will do what it will do. Measuring ppm of the runoff is also a useless exercise that tells you nothing other than, yep, you percolated that nasty water through all of the soil and it dragged out some debris. Your eyes told you that much... the ppm number corresponds to nothing.
That leaf canoe thing... that isnt canoing... that is a happy leaf shedding water by evaporation... its what healthy leaves do. Keep drying them out... its really working well. :)

Thanks em ! In the second picture you can kind of see the burn on the tips of those leaves and they are twisting. Is that normal for those autos to do that ? I’ll try to get a better picture for you.

Some of your problem is probably that you are feeding at the correct amount of the base nutrients but twice as much of the b52 and voodoo juice as you should be. I have used the whole entire line of advanced for going on 3 years straight now and it's always perfect no matter the medium I grow in. Always remember that the base nutes are double what the additives are. If you feed with 3ml of A and B you only give 1.5ml of the others. That's according to their online calculator and has always worked very very well for me.

I think that the leaf twist is simply a genetic trait of that line and not the indication of a problem. There are some strains that I can recognize simply by that leaf twist that every plant in that generation does. That miniscule amount of leaf tip burn is not really anything to worry about either... it just shows that you are pushing some nutes... and a pretty normal reaction. If it gets worse, and you start losing a quarter inch of the tips... then you should adjust the nutes. For now, lets follow fanleaf's advice and get the nutes adjusted per the manufacturers instructions.

Thank you fanleaf ! The next watering will be just calmag. Then I will definitely fallow what you have instructed to do. I seen the calculator but I didn’t notice how they only add half of the extra additives. Thank you emilya :) ! I will keep you guys posted. Also the two autos that are showing sign of that burn on the tips and twisting are sour diesel and amnesia XXL. Some genetics do and some don’t as my photos have no sign of this burn / twist. Again thanks guys for the input ! Cheers :)

Chemdog... once I get the hang of growing my own medicine I would love to do a purple chemdog strain. As it helps me with my pain in my lower back and arthritis in my wrists. Once again thank you guys. If it’s alright with you guys I will keep posting progress on these lady’s? Cheers and Merry Christmas and happy new year fanleaf and emilya !

Back
Top Bottom