Limits on the Number of Plants

Pjkem15

First things first, this is my first post so I apologize if I don't have a handle on the 420 etiquette.

I've been doing quite a lot of research on the legalities of growing lately and had a few questions. The legal limits of certain states where medical and/or recreational marijuana is legal allows for the legal growth of a few plants. In Colorado it's six, in Cali its 12, and it continues to differ throughout the country.

But what about larger operations? Is it legal anywhere in the United States to have larger-scale growing operations? I also know in Oakland they called for the legalization of four large-scale operations back in 2010, but I haven't heard anything recently about this. From their success to the construction of these facilities, I haven't found anything.

Again, I am wondering if it is legal anywhere in the country for large-scale grow operations. If so, where is this legal and how.

Regards
Pete

First things first, this is my first post so I apologize if I don't have a handle on the 420 etiquette.

I've been doing quite a lot of research on the legalities of growing lately and had a few questions. The legal limits of certain states where medical and/or recreational marijuana is legal allows for the legal growth of a few plants. In Colorado it's six, in Cali its 12, and it continues to differ throughout the country.

But what about larger operations? Is it legal anywhere in the United States to have larger-scale growing operations? I also know in Oakland they called for the legalization of four large-scale operations back in 2010, but I haven't heard anything recently about this. From their success to the construction of these facilities, I haven't found anything.

Again, I am wondering if it is legal anywhere in the country for large-scale grow operations. If so, where is this legal and how.

Regards
Pete

Good question, im wondering exactly the same thing. I heard from various ppl that you can grow a larger amount of plants if ur in the country side, and if u have a green house, now i was tryin to look that up and find it in black and white, but i didnt have much success except for finding what you already know. So if anyone knows this id really like to know it to.

Thank god! I was starting to think I was the only one in the dark here. I never heard anything about the countryside and will definitely look into that. Thanks for the response and I'll post again if i find anything!

(As I understand it) California has 3 scripts. 12/6 plants ( 12 total, 6 mature total, so you have to kill all but 6) ... 30 plants, and 99 plants.

The Dr has control over this number. However, I've talked to several growers and the unsaid rule is to keep it under 99 plants. There's issues about size vs qty, and the fact that the Dr usually want more $$ for more plants, so it's not perfectly clear until you get over 99.

There are other issues about prior convictions, children, guns, etc... as well as which city/county you are in.

Not exactly clear, but hope this helps.

(As I understand it) California has 3 scripts. 12/6 plants ( 12 total, 6 mature total, so you have to kill all but 6) ... 30 plants, and 99 plants.

The Dr has control over this number. However, I've talked to several growers and the unsaid rule is to keep it under 99 plants. There's issues about size vs qty, and the fact that the Dr usually want more $$ for more plants, so it's not perfectly clear until you get over 99.

There are other issues about prior convictions, children, guns, etc... as well as which city/county you are in.

Yo jay, by any chance do you anything about how that goes in colorado? Thx man

Sorry to say, no. My guess is that the law and the enforcement will be different in different counties. In other words, I think there are some universal gray areas...

Example: if the law says 12 plants, it says nothing about how large the plants can be. I got nearly as much from 10 plants as I did from 26 plants.

If you want high yield (who doesn't :D) ... I'd run lights on top and bottom or on top and on the sides.

If you look at my grow journal (link in sig), you can see the results of my 1st grow, look at the plants and you'll see the lower branches were HUGE compared to the 2nd grow. it made a HUGE difference in the yield.

You can also select your plant strain based on the average yield.

Few other tips: I've been cloning mine for 4 of my 5 grows. I pic the plants with the most branches per length. That seems to be paying off.

You can also keep a plant in veg longer in order to get a larger plant for flowering... you control the veg cycle, nature controls the flower cycle (once flower starts, nature controls when the plant is done).

I've had great results with using molasses during the whole growth cycle (veg and flower).

You could end up with 12 plants and a 6+ lb yield.

I got about 3lbs (dry weight) from 10 plants on my 1st try without heavy molasses.

In California, the Dr that writes the script will tell you what your limits are, so maybe that'll work on CO as well.

Alright after a lot of looking around I found this:

"I live in Colorado, so I don't know anything about Oregon state laws. Here and in California the laws governing dispensaries proper are becoming more and more concrete, but caregivers are usually still a bit of a grey area.

The SPIRIT of the law is that if I have an MMJ cert I can grow for myself, and, by the way, if I have some left over I can provide it to other MMJ patients (and expect compensation). There are NO considerations whatsoever that I am aware of where a NON MMJ patient can grow cannabis and sell it to dispensaries, i.e. like a business.

When you get your MMJ certification you can designate another person to be your caregiver. Whoever that person is (in Colorado, at the moment) can grow 6 plants, presumably for you.

If a dispensary is listed as the caregiver for 100 MMJ patients, they can now legally grow 600 plants. If you want to grow marijuana legally (in CO) you need to get an MMJ certification, then be listed as caregiver for as many patients as you need to cover your grow. If you want to grow 48 plants then you need to be the caregiver for 7 patients. You are patient #8, 8 patients times 6 plants each equals 48 total. (Those are just example numbers, if you want to grow 300 plants you need to be the listed caregiver for 50 patients.)

How do you get listed as a caregiver? You could be completely independent and take out an ad on Craigslist. You could offer patients free medicine once a month in return for them listing you. Mostly, dispensaries have a system in place to "distribute" patients to caregivers, usually for a fee, or a discount on meds. And by discount I mean they will offer you the patients, but then pay you less for your product. Some just charge you $250 per patient per year. You want 10 patients, that's $2500 please.

Now you have legal cover to grow 48 plants, or whatever your number is. Again the spirit of the law is that you are growing for yourself and 7 other patients. The reality is that once you have that legal cover for growing, you can sell the cannabis to anyone you want (who also has an MMJ cert). Including dispensaries.

I had the same idea as you. It FEELS like the right thing to do is incorporate, create a business, pay your taxes. However, as I said, the spirit of the law is that patient A is either specifically growing for patient B, or selling his leftover cannabis to other patients. Not so much the whole business-model-I'm-in-it-to-make-a-profit. So, to be clear, creating a business to cultivate marijuana and sell it for profit, is a little outside the letter of the law.

On the plus side, the IRS doesn't care. There's a spot on your tax return where you can declare your income from illegal activities. And though it may be legal in your state it's still a Federal crime.

Personally, I know of one 32,000 watt grow, and four 10,000 to 15,000 watt grows. Some of them in industrial warehouses, some of them in residential basements. I'm guessing those might just be for more than just personal use. If you are an MMJ patient, and you have caregiver status for enough patients, game ON.

BTW, local legislators are discussing placing a 5 patient limit on how many patients a single caregiver can have.

I hope this was a little helpful. If you're asking this question I assume that MM is legal in Oregon, and you have legal dispensaries available to you. I guess the shortest answer to your question is "get your MMJ cert, make appointments with your local dispensaries, tell them you would like to be a caregiver, and find out how to get caregiver status for other patients". Dispensaries differ greatly, talk to them all. Good luck, go green."

The thread is here

The doctor cards that "allow" you to grow 99 plants are complete malarkey. They do that to get free money from uneducated folks. The so called growers licenses have no legal holding and mean nothing if you had to go to court.

In california 6 is the minimum per person. However a county or city can set its own law to how much a individual can grow, but that number can not be lower then 6.

Back
Top Bottom