Link's poorman CFL grow 11/20/09 FIRST GROW

Linkorien

so after reading and reading AND READING, of this wonderful forum, i have decided to take the plunge.... this will be my first REAL attempt at a good grow.
iv thrown a seed in a pot by the window before only to fail 4 weeks later and even put one under a normal house hold light before only to fail once agen, obviously after knowing this wealth of information i have goatherd hear,

all onlookers will be respected and appreciated and any advise givers will have more then my gratitude..

to begin..
for lighting i am going to use 6 light sockets with a double insert making 12 lights all together im going to use CFL's
20 watts
1150 lumen
daylight bulbs
and one fish light tube i will have to post some pics so u you can see my make up.... i think its good in comparasion to some of the other CFL builds iv seen hear...... not to be cocky......
that makes a grand total of
240watts + whatever the fish tank light is and
13800 lumen..... lmao i put it together and it was bright

also at this time id like to thank boss because he is a leading contributor to my research on how to do a poor mans build, after reading threw his grow 10 times i decided to take a crack at the same idea in a different light... lol

im unfortunate to have to use bag seeds because i cant get any thing as of right now so ill hope for the best

i have a soil ph reader
thermometer and humidity meter

i got a potting soil from miracle grow I KNOW most people say don't use it but its the only bag of sterile soil i can find right now so i got some perlite to try and make the drainage a little better, hopefully that will be good

im using my closet, a very small one at that, iv converted it in to a pretty stealthy cabinet but its not finished yet, the end product will be two small grow rooms, one on top the other, seald of from light and air. one for veg the other for flowering, the flower room is slightly bigger then the veg room for obvious reasons... bud

anyways ill get on latter tonight when no ones around and post some pics so you can see were im at
i plan on completing the closet by tomorrow night and hopeful start my germs

happy greens to all and thanks for stopping by!!!!!

First off welcome fello 420newb I hope all grows well 4 u check you out later bro

ok some pics this is my closet box so far
IMG000029.jpg

that thin board in the back is the door to the bottom the thicker one in the front is for the top
they slide up and down really good and make a seal from the room of any light
IMG000031.jpg

makes two rooms one on top one on bottom

IMG000030.jpg

tomorrow i will put the hinges on the top and get some of the punge tape window sealr stuff for the slides and the door then i will install the light

i still dont have a pick of the light

sorry for the dull quality of pics ill find my digi cam soon and get some good pics rockin, but for now i leave you with my lighting build...
6 sockets 12 lights and one florescent tube

IMG000034.jpg

i tried my best hear to get a good angle to reflect as much as possible and also so when i use the Y splitters one will run down, the other will run across, as shown.
the reason why i did this so wide is because i was thinking, if plants grow up in to it there will be light on the sides of the plants as well so they get coverage from all around the plant not just shining down on top of them

trying to maximize light usage

IMG000035.jpg

and lastly it on.. i was lucky to get my pc cam at a good angle to minimize glare but rest assured looking in to this is blinding i couldn't see after taking this pic lol
im using the reflective side of tin foil for the covering but the walls of the room will be covered in reflective foil insulation i got for $30 from a home improvement store

IMG000036.jpg

well as you can see im trying.......
tomorrow i will finish the cabinet hang the light system and try to fit in making the exhaust as well but we will see, hopefully i can start my germs tomorrow night

thanks for stopping by

ok so i have a twitch i cant get past....
im thinking of ordering seeds from attitude but hears my problem..

WHICH ONE

i mean serouisly i come from a place wear you get ether regs. mids. or kb
if im gana grow id like to grow close to kind bud, but i have no idea...
white rhino looks good from green house but also g13 pinnaple express looks good... and i love the movie..

i want something that's going to be strong something good and sweet a nice tight light colored bud any ideas? i also don't want to drop a boat load of cash

any help in my decision is appreciated

so the box is finished
DSC002131.JPG

door oens from the top for one room

DSC002151.JPG

door slides up from the bottom room

DSC002162.JPG

and the light fixture is set up inside nicely

DSC00214.JPG

the only thing left for me to do is cover the walls with foil and rig up a vent system
i would have done the foil today but the staples i got for my gun don't fit....

i think im going with greenhouse white widow strand im ordering it and hopefully will have good results

Looks good link but let me see if I get this straight all your lights are gonna be on the side and none on top or am I missing some thing just asking still looks better than mine a lot more detail to mines a little more on the primative side

Oh yeah if you don't mind me asking what are the measure ments of spaces and wish I could help on the seeds but don't no much in that area got lucky wit my sour disel herd white widow was nice but what do I no peace bro grow well.

well the rooms size is almost a perfect 2ft. cube
its 2'5" wide by 2' deep and 2'5" high

the lighting set up i have is so 6 lights hang directly above them and 6 lights
(3 on each side) run straight down beside them like this

light12.jpg

Hey man that pipe look hot type look like a old bone set is sweet and u call this a poor man grow lol just jkn every bodies defintion of poor is diffrent. So I must be doing a straight bum grow

Just look back threw ery thg I take it all back your grow is is just as poor as mine just better organized don't mine me one to many tokes this morning lol

well i must admit i have put in a bit more then i planed

the foil for the walls was $25
lights ran almost $40
light fixtures $38
soil all together was about $35
and wood for about $20

so im at about $160 plus supply's like nails staples glue im still under $200

but i need to hook up an intake and exhaust system which looks like it will run me almost $100 for a good system
unfortunately i have OCD so when i start doing something like this it has to be well done and very uniform, kinda professional looking or i just loose interest, that's why i go all out on things rather then cut corners.

plus i really want this to go well

as of right now the hole thing is done minus the air system.
i have the lights on and the door shut with my thermometer in there to get an idea of were im at temp wise

ill complete or at least hook up some sort of air flow in the next day or so, as i wait for my seeds to come...
white widow looked really nice so i went with that hope its worth the wait

thanks for the continued support Bigman

looks great.....just a few pointers I can think of.
Ditch the foil and use mylar, if that's not available to you, you would be better off with just painting it white. The foil doesn't reflect as much light as you think and not more than white (from all the reading I've done on the subject.)

2'nd all those bulbs are going to get that small space very hot very quickly so heat is going to be a problem. You might want to enclose those in a box with glass and vent the light box directly. (this is what we do and it keeps the box at a steady 80 when lights are on)

Other that those two things, looks like you have a great set up...

thanks for the tips i know i need to get some sort of fan/air system going i can tell thous lights are going to warm it up in there

as far as the foil insulation gos, i got that cause this room has no heat and gets almost 30 degrees some nights so i wanted something to keep the warm in once the lights go off, i was looking for mylar at lowes but i couldn't find any what is it and what section of items would it fall under ill look agen

thanks agen for stopping in!

ok so i went out and got two fans and a wall vent cover

i got this for my exhaust fan t suck air out quick i think i will run it to the addict
hxxp://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=256747-14-771&lpage=none]Broan at Lowe's: White 70-CFM Capacity Bath Fan

and i got this to push air in i think i will hook it up to the light fixtuer some how with a tube from the wall
hxxp://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=26506-14-688&lpage=none]Broan at Lowe's: 50 CFM Bath Fan

or maybe ill hook the exhaust up that way idk yet,
i also got a wall vent cover, so im going to cut a hole in the wall next to the closet and let air just creep in threw, and ill use a normal fan on the plants for strength!

Sounds good but how bout using the fan for exhaust still use the wall vent so the fan can suck in fresh air and the fan sucks the hot air out just a thought?

MY GROW BOX IS COMPLETE... i hope

ok so this turned in to more of a project then i had intended it to be and i have drooped a lot more cash to set this up then i expected
so its not really a poor mans grow anymore more like intern level lmao

but the end result is a dam fine box i feel

i just hooked up 2 fans an Exhaust Vent which is hear

DSC002281.JPG

and an intake for cool air below

DSC002294.JPG

my finished product

DSC002321.JPG

the exhaust fan is in the wall of the grow box and runs threw the wall out in to the attic
the cool air fan is hooked up in the attic (away from the exhaust) by a vent and pumps cool air down threw a coil stretch pipe

i must say this was the longest of the build parts it took time and effort and im beat from crawlling arround in my attic and in the little box lol

but anyways its done, as of right now im running the box dry, i want to see how high the temp gets with nothing in it so i know if i have a problem still, and to see if its to cool.
as of right now im about 40mins in to the test run and i went from 67F to 79F which is much slower of a climb then last time which reached over 120F in less then 2 hours from about 65F so my fingers are crossed wish me luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom